PDA

View Full Version : what did they change between 05 and 06

hotrodbelair
06-16-2007, 11:39 AM
i was lookin at a friends yfz but i found a 2004 450r for 2800. thinking about goin and lookin at it. but i know they changed some stuff on them. i know the motor they changed but what did they do change the bore and stroke? and i heard from some where they changed the geometry of the suspension? also can you get just as much power out of a 04 as you can the newer ones cause as soon as i get a 450 the motor is goin out to get built then im gonna get suspension put on it. thanks for any input.

ryanowarrior
06-16-2007, 03:19 PM
i know they changed the sups on the 06 & up models! the swingarm is like an inch longer!! and the a arms are also .5 wider on each side!! the spindles are different too!! the front sups has a lil negative camber!! the 04-05 front end is way better on handling!! far as the motor goes dont know much about details!! changed the compression up to 13.1 added electric start and got rid of the oil reserivor like the 400ex had!! but the 04-05 motors are strong!! all the pros used them in there quads up until this year!!! but either new model or older model your still comin out ahead! cause its a honda and take care of it and it will last forever!! hope this helped some!

hotrodbelair
06-16-2007, 03:35 PM
thanks for the info i think when i finaly do go and look at it and is in as good shape as the guy describes i will probaly end up buying it.

ryanowarrior
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
no problem man!! hope i helped!! dont know everything but know some stuff!! if ya need to ask anything just holla!!! but like i said, if its good shape, you cant go wrong!!! great quad!!! later!

CHEVYZ
06-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Pretty much what he said...but compression was raised to 12:1, not 13:1. Basically, almost everything on the bike was changed in some shape or form (suspention all around, gearing, engine, seat is lower/shaved on newer models, plastic, mounts, front light, airbox, airfilter, CDI...and it goes on). The most noticable things on both is the (better) handling on the 04/05 compared to the newer models and the power of the newer engines. For your average rider, the 06+ engine will produce much more power, but the 04/05s can be made to go, too. The bottom end in those engines are stronger, and so when heavily modified alot of guys choose to go with the those eninges for big setups...not to mention how much more you can "go" with those engines...displacement, porting, ect. Either way, it doesn't really matter. Both have plenty of go. You will be happy with any of them.

Sjorge450R
06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
they ditched the oil cooler. Not sure why the 04's needed them and not the second generations.

hotrodbelair
06-17-2007, 08:39 PM
well i went and looked at it today. its real clean the guy bought it went trail riding once then just puts around with it on his farm. if every thing goes as planned ill be picking it up tommarrow.