PDA

View Full Version : need advice on jetting 525

bossman525
06-15-2007, 07:06 PM
just ordered jd jet kit for my outlaw 525, need advice or helpful info. live in area that is under 1000 feet, i ride in temps from 40 to 80 degrees. quad is stock no upgrades. what size jet should i go to? pilot size? clip position? has anyone used the jd kit? i ride mostly in the dunes but sometimes go to the sticks were it is around 3000 feet or so. any advice would be appreciated:confused:

OutlawBill
06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I would start with a 160 main blue needle 3rd clip position down from the top and a 48 pilot that is just my SWAG then fine tune

bossman525
06-16-2007, 11:29 AM
outlawbill, if i was to take the baffeling out of the stock pipe, would my main jet need to be bigger than what u suggested?

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 07:14 PM
E'MAIL JAMES DEAN @JDJETTING.COM. AWESOME SUPPORT FOR KTM ENGINES. IF YOU REMOVE BAFFLE FROM STOCK TIP, YOU MAY NEED A SMALL CHANGE AS OUTLET DIAMETER WILL BE THE SAME.

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
IF YOU ORDERED JD KIT, E-MAIL JAMES AND TELL HIM WHERE YOU LIVE, AND WHAT MODS YOU HAVE. HE WILL GIVE YOU A BALL PARK BASELINE SETUP. REMOVING BAFFLE IS PROBABLY A WASTE OF TIME AS OUTLET DIAMETER IS THE SAME, JUST MORE NOISE. :macho

bossman525
06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
thanks LT i will do that:)

eerhard09
06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I am just under 1000ft and here are my specs (runs great!):

Needle: Red needle 5th clip (for summer conditions)
Main Jet: 168
Air box: Lid removed
Baffle: Removed baffle and installed E-Bay billet end cap
JD O-Ring: Thick O-ring

During the winter I will change back to the blue needle but for the summer temps in Ohio, it is way too rich with the blue!

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 07:32 PM
HEY EERHARD09, DID YOU GET THE ACCEL PUMP MOD FROM JD???
HE RECOMMENDED IT TO ME, AND I DIDN'T FEEL THE DIFF. SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN THE ACCEL PUMP COVER(AND CHEAPER). IT SPRAYS LESS FUEL THAN STOCKER.

I HAD A HUGE BOG AFTER INSTALLING COMPLETE KIT OFF IDLE BUT DONT KNOW IF IT WAS PUMP DIAPHRAGM HE SOLD ME OR AIR IN LINE FROM FUEL TANK PISSING ALL OVER MY BEAUTIFUL MACHINE:mad:

eerhard09
06-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I believe that the o-ring mod is only for the KTM motors because the FCR39 mated to the KTMs are a little different from the FCR39's that come on Japanese bikes. He (James Dean) told me that directly in an e-mail. The o-ring allows for a longer duration in the acc. pump squirt giving it just a tad more fuel right off throttle. I can't say one way or the other if it made a big difference because I never rode mine w/o being rejetted with the JD kit. I do know that mine runs strong through the entire throttle and I stand behind that JD kit 100%!

Oh, the o-ring mod came with the JD kit that I ordered. It was the kit specifically for the KTM 525exc dirt bike.

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 07:57 PM
NOT THE O-RING, AS I INSTALLED THAT FROM KIT. IT WAS THE ACCELERATOR PUMP DIAPHRAGM(BOTTOM OF CARB). READ:

Joe,

The jet kit I would recommend is part #JDK002 at www.JDJetting.com .

The jetting that I would recommend is partly affected by any airbox changes you might make. Use a bigger main jet if the airbox is modified.

Recommended setting-
#45 pilot jet (stock)
1 3/4 turns out on fuel screw
Red marked needle in the #5 from top clip position
#165-168 main jet (#172 with more open airbox)
Thicker O-ring on the pump linkage per the kit instructions.

You may also want to try running a reduced flow accelerator pump diaphragm. The diaphragm helps keep you motor running more crisp at low speeds by limiting the pump volume, part #JDKH04. The change is more of an improvement than an aftermarket pump cover.

Thanks,
James

eerhard09
06-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh, gotcha, I thought you asked about the O-Rings that were in the jet kit. He told me I didn't need the diaphram.... Makes me wonder?

LT250_JOE
06-16-2007, 08:13 PM
MUST BE THAT "COOL" EASTERN PA AIR I BREATHE????:cool:

eerhard09
06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
MUST BE THAT "COOL" EASTERN PA AIR I BREATHE????:cool:

Gotta be it! All I get here is polluted Akron air from the tire plants!:D

Evasiveone
06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
When I spoke to the Polaris engineers we talked about the diagphram mod. He was familiar with the accelerator pump diagphram mod and said that they used a different diagphram on the Polaris than KTM uses on the bike in the FCR 39 carb. He did agree that the o-ring mod would be benificial though.

Pulling the baffle results in a much bigger exhaust opening also. Also I am running the exact same setup as Eerhard is on his 525. It seems to be pretty close but when it gets really hot and humid I am still just a tad rich.

eerhard09
06-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Evasiveone, I agree, when it is hot and humid, I am a tad rich as well. I was thinking of going up one notch on the needleto see what that would do but have not had the chance to do it. I would think that one notch up may put me spot on since it would lean it out slightly throughout the range. As soon as I get it back from the shop after the small oil screen bolt cracked, I will give it a shot!

LT250_JOE
06-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by bossman525
outlawbill, if i was to take the baffeling out of the stock pipe, would my main jet need to be bigger than what u suggested?

I THINK HE WAS GOING TO CUT BAFFLE FROM STOCK ENDCAP, NOT REPLACE WITH BILLET CAP FROM E-BAY. STOCK END CAP HAS SMALLER DAIMETER OUTLET. JUST CUTTING BAFFLE WOULD ONLY MAKE NOISE AND NOT HP. UNLESS THE WHOLE END CAP WAS REMOVED ENTIRELY.....HMMMMM CAN YOU SAY MEGA PHONE!!!:devil:

LT250_JOE
06-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by eerhard09
Evasiveone, I agree, when it is hot and humid, I am a tad rich as well. I was thinking of going up one notch on the needleto see what that would do but have not had the chance to do it. I would think that one notch up may put me spot on since it would lean it out slightly throughout the range. As soon as I get it back from the shop after the small oil screen bolt cracked, I will give it a shot!

HOW MANY TIMES DID YOU REMOVE THE OIL SCREEN BOLT??
I SERVICED MINE ONCE WITH NO PROBLEMS. JUST WONDERING IF I SHOULD REPLACE THE NEXT TIME I REMOVE IT. OH AND BEWARE OF LARGE OIL SCREEN, IT CAN AND WILL FALL INTO THE CASE

eerhard09
06-17-2007, 08:30 AM
LT250_JOE, this was my third time removing it. It was my first, but was the third time overall. I could not believe that it snapped like it did. On KTMTalk, there are several posts about them rounding out and cracking. I would suggest replacing it just for the peace of mind factor. The problem is, the bolt is steel and the case is aluminum, both expand and contract differently with the heating and cooling. These different rates of expansion cause the bolt to lock to the threads. Here is the one from BRAP:

Link to buy for $16.50
BRAP Oil Screen Bolt (http://www.brapoffroad.com/bolts.htm)

http://www.brapoffroad.com/drian-bolt.gif

LT250_JOE
06-17-2007, 09:16 AM
THANKS FOR THE LINK!! I'LL ORDER BOLT WHEN I GET QUAD BACK FROM DEALER. THATS IF THEY REPAIR THE REAR END DAMAGE WITH POLARIS'S MONEY.

blkjack
06-17-2007, 06:27 PM
I also installed my jdjet kit, but my 525 still wants to die if I punch the throttle too fast. It was worse when it was stock, but better now. Any answers?

micah78
06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem when my 525 was stock. I got the JD jet kit and installed the 162 main with the red needle. I basically used the high altitude setup that is in the instructions. I did this because my quad is completely stock. I still had the stalling problem after doing this but it was better than before. I figured it was stalling because it was too rich on the bottom end. I moved the clip on the needle up 2 positions to lower the needle and lean the mixture on the low end. This made a big improvement and has worked well since.

micah78
06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem when my 525 was stock. I got the JD jet kit and installed the 162 main with the red needle. I basically used the high altitude setup that is in the instructions. I did this because my quad is completely stock. I still had the stalling problem after doing this but it was better than before. I figured it was stalling because it was too rich on the bottom end. I moved the clip on the needle up 2 positions to lower the needle and lean the mixture on the low end. This made a big improvement and has worked well since.

OutlawBill
06-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Two things to get reed of the low speed stall. One put in a richer pilot jet and readjust the accelerator pump for a shorter squirt time. ACCELERATOR PUMP SET UP 101 (http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=171766)

blkjack
06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info, I haven't yet had time to adjust it, prob. sometime this week.

bossman525
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
got my jd jet kit today, installed with a 165 main, blue needle clip 3 positions down and the thick o-ring. real big difference in power and much more snappier. the only thing i noticed was if i was just cruising along in 4th or 5th gear (the revs were down a little) it seemed to be surging a little bit. any suggestions on what that may be?

Evasiveone
06-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Sounds like you may be a tad rich in the middle. Try the red needle 4th or 5th clip down.

bossman525
06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
wanted to tell you guys thanks for the info (evasiveone, eerhard, lt joe, outlaw bill) i'm not new when it comes to riding but i am when it comes to jetting. your guys help save me alot of time and money and beer;) i stuck with the blue needle 3rd clip down but i may go with the red needle 5th clip. i usally load up and go home when it gets above 80 degrees thats why i went with the blue needle. nobody really said how many turns they are out on the mixture screw. i started with 1 & 1/8th turns per dean at jd but it was really stumbling off idle so i went 1 & 1/2 turns seems to be alot better. were is everyone else at? i'm still stock no pipe lid on. by the way, i was out riding this morning and SMOKED a 450 yfz, 450 crf and a banshee. they were all modded with paddles excepted my buddies yfz he has a pipe and no lid. before the jd kit i couldnt beat his yamaha. i'm 220 lbs and he is 170lbs. this jet kit is well worth the money. again, thanks for everybodies help

bossman525
06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
wanted to tell you guys thanks for the info (evasiveone, eerhard, lt joe, outlaw bill) i'm not new when it comes to riding but i am when it comes to jetting. your guys help save me alot of time and money and beer;) i stuck with the blue needle 3rd clip down but i may go with the red needle 5th clip. i usally load up and go home when it gets above 80 degrees thats why i went with the blue needle. nobody really said how many turns they are out on the mixture screw. i started with 1 & 1/8th turns per dean at jd but it was really stumbling off idle so i went 1 & 1/2 turns seems to be alot better. were is everyone else at? i'm still stock no pipe lid on. by the way, i was out riding this morning and SMOKED a 450 yfz, 450 crf and a banshee. they were all modded with paddles excepted my buddies yfz he has a pipe and no lid. before the jd kit i couldnt beat his yamaha. i'm 220 lbs and he is 170lbs. this jet kit is well worth the money. again, thanks for everybodies help

LT250_JOE
06-26-2007, 05:40 AM
MY SCREW 1 3/4 OUT.
ONE THING YOU CAN DO TO LEAN OUT YOUR BIKE IS REMOVE YOUR AIR BOX LID. RIDE AROUND AN OPEN AREA AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY IMPROVEMENT IN BOG. PUT LID BACK ON AND SEE IF BOG COMES BACK.

YOU SEEM BY WHAT YOUR SAYING TO BE VERY VERY CLOSE.