PDA

View Full Version : more questons.....steering stem bearing help

pdxbigfoot
06-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Yes is me again needing help on my poor rusty 86 project bike.Im almost to the point where the frame needs to go to hot tank then powder coat. Whats the best way to remove the steering stem seals and bearings??Like i said in other threads, this poor R was left outside in pieces for who knows how long so there is alot of dry rot on seals,surface rust om all of it and spider nests galore....yikes!!! Ive tried to remove the seal the old fashion way with a flat tip scewdriver and i have used a impact wrench socket as a punch on the bearing both to no avil.Any ideas??Also should i re-tap all the treads before or after powder coat, i would think after but i want to be sure....As always any responses are greatly appreciated....its been 17yrs since ive rode a R and ive been waiting for this for quite some time....THANX

CorvetteZ06
06-15-2007, 04:56 AM
there is a large circlip that holds that bearing in, did you remove it ?

Slinky
06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by CorvetteZ06
there is a large circlip that holds that bearing in, did you remove it ?
what he said

chris46250r
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Do all of your thread re-tapping before you have it PCed. That way if you have to drill, grind, heli-coil or whatever you might run into on a rusty frame you wont mess up the PC job you just paid some bucks for. Then when you get it back from PC you can just use a thread chaser and clean them up.

pdxbigfoot
06-16-2007, 05:16 AM
ill keep you posted, thank you all again!!