PDA

View Full Version : which mx setup....need opinions fast...

WB450r
06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
i have an 05 450r and im gunna start racing and i need a good front end....i have a list of options and tell me which one is the best....

1. SMC long travel +2 a arms
motowoz shocks, piggyback
front brake lines, tierods, brake clamps

2. Laeger long travel +2 a arms
Elka long travel shocks, SSD, quad rate, piggyback, with compression and ride height adjust
front brake lines, tierods, elka shock covers

3. Houser long travel + 2 a arms
Elka long travel shocks, SSD, quad rate, piggyback, with compression adjust...12'' wheel travel...
front brake lines, tierods

Please respond cuz im really gunna start racing soon and need a front end....

THANX

kazpr
06-14-2007, 07:55 PM
2. Laeger long travel +2 a arms
Elka long travel shocks, SSD, quad rate, piggyback, with compression and ride height adjust
front brake lines, tierods, elka shock covers
With fox floats or axis.

TWISTED DINLI
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
correction: Houser +3;)

i would go w/

3. Houser/Elka because the a-arms are wider.

Dave400ex
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Houser doesn't make +3, just +2 or +2.5. They actually say to run the +2 for MX and that is what Goodman runs. For shocks Elka or Fox would be a good way to go and Houser sells both. Everybody has been liking the Fox though!

GIXXER1KR
06-14-2007, 09:36 PM
SMC and Motowoz!!!!You will not regret it!!!!:D

manson98
06-14-2007, 09:47 PM
ATV 4 Play Elka

450rRacer22
06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
if you want im sellin a front end set up right now its on an 06 though so we would have to trade spindles. they are +2 3/8 leager a-arms with big bottle pep compression adjust shocks. i have a thread in parts for sale if you want to check them out. let me know if your interested man

WB450r
06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
ive heard a lot of good things about smc and motowoz i dont think i can pass it up......ive also heard a lot of bad things about elka....is this true.....is it jus that people are saying tht elka is bad or jus there are better shocks out there better than elka......

d3ktrix
06-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by WB450r
ive heard a lot of good things about smc and motowoz i dont think i can pass it up......ive also heard a lot of bad things about elka....is this true.....is it jus that people are saying tht elka is bad or jus there are better shocks out there better than elka......

Its not that they are bad shocks, its that most of them never get setup correct.
But then there is also people that can't get them right no matter what they do.
I used to ride with a kid that was pro-am, and had a sponsor from elka, and he had them redo his shocks so many times right at the track and he was never happy with them.
He ditched them and went with fox.

I love my motowoz, even if I got another set of shocks for free I wouldn't switch.
These shocks have saved my *** so many times over un expected holes/dips/bumps/rocks while pit ridding.
They are amazing how well they handle huge impacts. Like over shooting a jump and totally flat landing expecting to slam ur junk on the seat and ur head on the bar pad, to not even bottoming out.
They haddle the small choppy stuff like its nothing, all u see is ur tires articulating as u sail over stuff as fast as ur thumb can take u.

And they go from the small stuff to the big stuff w/o touching any settings. They have a great valving range.

My friend took a video of me today going over some deep whoops in 4th gear, I'll post it up later.

As for a-arms, the SMCs are strong and they work well. But I don't really like the looks of the top a-arm. it looks skinny and the balljoint sticks out kinda far.
Even tho I spent so much money on my front end, and the shocks look amazing, it doesn't feel like i have a "high class" cuz the skinny looking top a-arms.
If you don't care about looks tho they are really well made and I doubt u'll have any problems with them.

Architects
06-15-2007, 01:34 AM
houser +2.5 or another brand in +3. then run a 4-1 front wheel

Todd 450
06-15-2007, 03:30 AM
This has been my best setup ever Leagers +3" pro trax

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/TODD127/DSCF4052.jpg

INFAMOUSRACER7
06-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Holz +2.5 with fox evolvs best combo ever

TMSmx47
06-15-2007, 07:35 AM
I have HOUSER/FOX

bigz-71
06-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I would have to say i have seen a lot of people run Houser, so they must be good and affordable. The fox shocks are getting a lot of talk from a lot of people. I have never ran either one but if you go from what every one else is running i would buy the houser/fox setup. If you have a problem someone else more than likely will be able to help you. Houser also have great support on how to setup the A-arms after they are installed. i used most of there stuff when i was setting up my Walsh A-arms.

I am running Walsh/Elka and i love my setup.

I would recommend a +3 A-arm and 4-1 wheels, for mx setup and your choice of shocks but it might get costly when you go that route.

Ex_Rider43
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Any brand of a-arms that you posted is good but please , no elka shocks.

I never tried motowoz so I cant say that they are good but I had Fox and elka and no matter how much time you spend trying to setup the elkas and sending them over to get them reworked , they always suck big time.

The fox came from the factory and were great , all I did was to follow the instruction manual that came with them and they are great. I can say that they compare to my friends PEP's.

manson98
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Elka's are alright it just they need to be revalved by someone other than Elka and Johnny at J-H Racing does them great.

pudamac12
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
guys you are missing the point of his question. he is asking what of the 3 choices listed would be your pick.

And with the elka's I don't think he is wanting to have to send them out right away to possibly get them to work right.

For the price of this stuff you should get the stuff spot on with only minor adjustments to make you happy. Elka currently is not doing that and needs to step it up.

TWISTED DINLI
06-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Houser doesn't make +3, just +2 or +2.5. They actually say to run the +2 for MX and that is what Goodman runs. For shocks Elka or Fox would be a good way to go and Houser sells both. Everybody has been liking the Fox though!

My bad. i was thinking of the 400ex a-arms.

manson98
06-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Buy Fox you won't be disappointed.

WB450r
06-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Its not that they are bad shocks, its that most of them never get setup correct.
But then there is also people that can't get them right no matter what they do.
I used to ride with a kid that was pro-am, and had a sponsor from elka, and he had them redo his shocks so many times right at the track and he was never happy with them.
He ditched them and went with fox.

I love my motowoz, even if I got another set of shocks for free I wouldn't switch.
These shocks have saved my *** so many times over un expected holes/dips/bumps/rocks while pit ridding.
They are amazing how well they handle huge impacts. Like over shooting a jump and totally flat landing expecting to slam ur junk on the seat and ur head on the bar pad, to not even bottoming out.
They haddle the small choppy stuff like its nothing, all u see is ur tires articulating as u sail over stuff as fast as ur thumb can take u.

And they go from the small stuff to the big stuff w/o touching any settings. They have a great valving range.

My friend took a video of me today going over some deep whoops in 4th gear, I'll post it up later.

As for a-arms, the SMCs are strong and they work well. But I don't really like the looks of the top a-arm. it looks skinny and the balljoint sticks out kinda far.
Even tho I spent so much money on my front end, and the shocks look amazing, it doesn't feel like i have a "high class" cuz the skinny looking top a-arms.
If you don't care about looks tho they are really well made and I doubt u'll have any problems with them.

THANX for giving me info on motowoz shocks....these sound like they are excellent shocks.....i think ive finally made my decision...im gunna be goin with the smc lt a arms and motowoz...
i would really like to see that video if it isnt to much trouble to post it....

THANX

mx1791
06-15-2007, 10:19 PM
yea and dont worry about the "skinny" top a arm, it looks fine lol

d3ktrix
06-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by WB450r
i would really like to see that video if it isnt to much trouble to post it....

THANX

The whoops at the end are kinda flat, but in the beginning they are about 2' deep.

Link (http://d3ktrix.dontexist.com/ATVs/6-14-07_V_Claytons//MOV01754.MPG)

Its not compressed so its like 7MB even tho its only a few seconds clip :P