PDA

View Full Version : z400 cam chain adjustment/replacement

mbc-atv
06-14-2007, 07:26 PM
What is the difficulty in adjusting a cam chain or replacing it and about how much would it cost.

86250rbanshee
06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Really not that bad of a job if doing yourself just take off exhaust, and side cover and clutch basket , take the cam holders off after you get TDC and cam lined up. and replace chain not really bad, and drain coolant first by the way.

Adjustment, if I remember correctly hopefully someone else can chime in if you tensioner retracts more that 3 clicks when removal then you need new chain.

About $60 for a chain and some time about 2 hrs roughly

YFZ450Ridr
06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
i forget how many clicks those things have but im pretty sure like said above, if you have 3 or 4 clicks left then its time for a new chain. go for a DID heavy duty cam chain. the tensioners adjust the chain automaticly so its just a matter of time before the chains get stretched really. good luck! z400central has a lot of helpful info also. on my 03 i had, it got so stretched out that it started slapping the inside of the housing and i thought it was the valves.

pudge69
07-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Not sure if you have done the work on this yet? If not I'd spend the money on a manual cam chain tensioner. They have alot mor room for adjustment..