PDA

View Full Version : one way to get rid of that tick.

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 10:24 AM
according to the clymer manual when changing your oil :

with filter change 1.9 quarts
without filter change 1.95 quarts
after engine disassembly 2.3 quarts

it also sez 20w 50 is good to run on hot days.

maybe some people didnt know that you have to take your right case cover off to get all the oil out.

i know for now on im taking the right side off and cleaning out the oil screen and adding the 2.3 quarts, im just sick of not knowing what i have in there. engines just cost to much. i just thought this might help some of those ticking problems

Scro
06-14-2007, 10:27 AM
If you are going to do that, make sure you keep an eye on the gasket. It will wear pretty quick doing that.

400exrider707
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
So you're going to replace a right side gasket cover every time you change your oil? Also your first amounts are backwards, it would be more oil needed if you changed the filter not less. Why is it that you are not comfortable with just an oil and filter change? Has anything happened to it?

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
So you're going to replace a right side gasket cover every time you change your oil? Also your first amounts are backwards, it would be more oil needed if you changed the filter not less. Why is it that you are not comfortable with just an oil and filter change? Has anything happened to it?

i wrote what was in the manual. the gasket is cheap and durable. im not to worried about it. if you want to lose youre tick and youve tried other tricks that didnt work this might be worth a shot. :blah:

400exrider707
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
i wrote what was in the manual. the gasket is cheap and durable. im not to worried about it. if you want to lose youre tick and youve tried other tricks that didnt work this might be worth a shot. :blah:

The tick wasn't from a lack of oil though. It was the nature of the cam I was running, putting the stock cam back in made it quiet again. I did notice that once I switched to Klotz MX4 the valvetrain quieted up quite a bit. Still ticked though.

06-14-2007, 11:06 AM
what tick and how/why would this eliminate it?

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
what tick and how/why would this eliminate it?
the proper amount of oil can reduce engine noise. valve tick is the noise im talking about.

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The tick wasn't from a lack of oil though. It was the nature of the cam I was running, putting the stock cam back in made it quiet again. I did notice that once I switched to Klotz MX4 the valvetrain quieted up quite a bit. Still ticked though.

pm sent

chris46250r
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
the proper amount of oil can reduce engine noise. valve tick is the noise im talking about.

Either way the engine has the same amount of oil in it.

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
at least you hope so. no more gambbling for me.

chris46250r
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Why would it not have the same amount? Does your dipstick lie?

1965 honda
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Why would it not have the same amount? Does your dipstick lie?

you burn oil write. well how much? so if you dont know and you just add the standerd amount of 1.95 quarts your short. you dont get all the oil out of the case on an oil change. the Dip stick is only measuring the oil rezzy. so i think its gambling. if you dont ok this thread isnt for than.

chris46250r
06-14-2007, 11:52 AM
If you are cranking it up and getting it warm, then shutting it off and waiting a few minutes and checking and its on the full mark, then its full. No matter how you changed the oil.

400exrider707
06-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Also even if the oil is low it should theoretically still get the same amount to the valvetrain via the oil pump. I honestly never really used the dipstick much on my EX. I would drain it, fill it up with 2 quarts and new oil filter, then run it. I know 2 quarts went in, and I changed it often enough that worrying about it burning off that much wasn't a problem. If you are burning enough off between oil changes that it will effect valve train, then you either have something wrong with your motor, or dont change your oil nearly enough...

PM replied.:blah:

Eviltanker
06-15-2007, 06:57 AM
The manual doesn't tell you it is only a tiny bit of oil in the engine after draining it using BOTH drain plugs(engine and tank) It really isn't worth tearing into the motor just for an oil change. just use proper oil and a top of the line filter, also check the screen at the tank once in a while(cheaper and easier than opening the case) to see if you got shavings. Also you could just cut your oil filter open and look. Other than that 400EX's are just noisy, If I couldn't hear my valve train I would be worried.

Dill
06-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I guess I'm of the minority in thinking my 400ex's valve train is QUIET after being around 450's the last few years...

400exrider707
06-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Dill
I guess I'm of the minority in thinking my 400ex's valve train is QUIET after being around 450's the last few years...

My 450R got a bit louder with an HRC cam, which is one of the more radical drop in cams you can buy for it.... however my EX with a stage 1 hotcam was by far louder. It got louder as it got warmer too! Everyone used to ask me if something was wrong with my motor.

Dill
06-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I do have an intake cam in my YFZ but I don't really remember it being all that quiet before hand either. Just goes to prove that every motor can be a little different.