PDA

View Full Version : Warranty question

MillerTime4187
06-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Will installing an 11:1 piston or a stage 1 hotcam void my warranty? Or will they say I still have a warranty but not honor it due to the mods? Thanks

TYayo420
06-14-2007, 06:40 AM
have the service honda shop do it, this way it would be installed 'right' in there eyes.

MillerTime4187
06-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
have the service honda shop do it, this way it would be installed 'right' in there eyes.

I thought about it but theres no way I'm paying them however much an hour when my cousin will do it for free.

REDRIDDER
06-14-2007, 08:40 AM
your warranty is only 6mos right or did you get an extended warranty?if you can wait until its up before modding it and if you got an extended warranty you'll be waiting or just take off all external mods when it gos to the shop

TYayo420
06-14-2007, 09:08 AM
well its either wait it out, or have them do it so it doesn't void the warranty, i guess your stuck between a roxk and a hard place. free doesn't always mean better.

GPracer2500
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
There really isn't such a thing as completely voiding the warranty when it comes to mods. Each failure is considered on a case by case basis. If an item fails BECAUSE OF the mods, then yes--the warranty will not cover the failure. But if something fails that has nothing to do with the mods, then the warranty will still cover it. That's how warranties work (despite what many dealers would like us to believe).

For example, if you do the piston/cam and your crank fails--the dealer could make a pretty stong case the failure was caused by your modifications. Don't expect warranty coverage.

But lets say you do the piston/cam and your stator fails. In order to deny warranty coverage on the stator the dealer would have to show that the mods you did were responsible for the failure. I don't think they would be able to do that and your stator would be covered under warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs warranties. If your so inclined, read the law and get the facts. There's also book by the "for dummies" book people that covers this subject: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2669.html

MillerTime4187
06-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I might just get a slip-on and wait out the warranty.