PDA

View Full Version : The HOT company has bit me again

bardeenm1
06-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Ok I just got done with a full rebuild of my Laeger narrow 265r and everything came together great! I ran through 4 non load heat cycles then on my 3rd loaded heat cycle I heard some racket and my motor stopped dead full seizure. The exhaust had a bad burnt smell coming from it and the plug had some type of metal on it. I decide instead of touching anything to take the machine right to my mechanic (not a backyard mechanic full Honda and Yammi current certification and has been turning wrenches for 20yrs and loves Hondas!) After a couple days of waiting he called me to give me the bad news of what caused this thing to lock up solid. Turns out the Thrust washer on one side of the Rod bearing decided to explode? This is a brand new Hot rods crank a little over 1hr on it and it has now destroyed my motor. I have metal spread from the PV up top all the way into the bearings down bellow(main and so on) I'll now be taking pics and trying to get Hot Rods to cover the damage they casued. I used this crank against my better judgement I had a bad experience with another division of the Hot Company. The Hot cams exhaust cam gear in my old Z 400 shredded causing lots of metal through out my motor. (This was a known problem to hot cams all they wanted to do was give me a new cam) This also happened to one of my best friends machines we have matching shredded hot cams at home! I did not replace the hot cams in that and will not replace the Hot rods crank in my r. From now on it's Honda all the way. I just need Hot Rods to pay for their garbage and all the problems they have caused.

ALL BALLS, HOT RODS CRANKS, AND HOT ROD CAMS HAVE NO PLACE ON ANY OF MY MACHINES EVER AGAIN!

Aceman
06-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I've been trying to decide whether to use a Hot Rod crank myself, with all the bad publicity and all and this was the official deal killer. 1 hour on a crank is ridiculous:cuss: Do they have any quality control? Do they know what quality control is?:rolleyes:

bardeenm1
06-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Service HONDA for a HONDA crank will be my only way in the future to bad I had to learn the hard way!

86 Quad R
06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
from my experiences, using anything other than an OEM or a OEM professionally built using pro-X components is a big time crap shoot.

atvmxr
06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I must be lucky, or in the twilight zone. I had the big end bearings on a stock R crank go out in a few months, replaced with Hot Rod crank and no problems for about 2 years now.......

blasterandy
06-14-2007, 09:02 AM
My friend recently put a stage 2 on his d'bike. Tore the hell out of it. And practically ruined his bike, don't worry though. They will pay for all expenses. He spoke to a guy named Gary and he was a real help. He kept in contact with him and when it was all said an done sent him a new stage 2 crank (exhaust). They may not know about quality control, but do understand who comes first. :D the customer. Needless to say he sold that one on ebay and came out with like 90$

bardeenm1
06-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I've come across as many success stories for the Hot companies as I have the bad stories I guess I should of never gone with the 50/50 ods compared to the 100% Honda ods.

honda380
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
hmmm i was just going to bid on the hot rods crank on ebay, i think ill lay off now. im in the market for a stock honda crank if anyone has one. i should have believed 86 quad R when he told me hot rods was junk. sorry i didnt listen! Corey

pimpt250r
06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
marc I seen what you said on the othersite ,but didnt want to say anything til you gave a follow up,,
thats a B!*CH,,
so you need a complete lower end ,or ---cases to,,the 1 and problem I see you having is the R is a race machine(wether it be past or present)
and no company on the planet warrenties race parts

racerx573
06-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Hot Rods either last forever, or you get 1 ride out of them. I had a brand new engine I built using a Hot Road crank, and it made it to the 2nd moto before the rod snapped in 1/2 destroying the cylinder completely, most of the tranny, both cases. The only salvageable parts were the stator and the clutch.

stocktires
06-14-2007, 06:42 PM
I would never even consider them honestly, complete garbage. You can't but motor parts with "odds" of them working.

bardeenm1
06-14-2007, 07:07 PM
When I purchased the crank I didn't see it as 50/50 ods that's more of a hind sight thing. I decided to give hot rods a try because 2 local racers that raced r's for years said they had luck with both oem and hot rods and another buddy of mine with an r has a hot rods crank in it. I had heard a couple bad stories and I did do my research and Hot Rods isn't a overnight company so I assumed these cranks would and should be bullet proof by now I guess that's why Honda is Honda dang near bullet proof.

Pimp I shouldn't need new cases and luckily for me I have a spare of most every part so basically I'm starting were I was a month ago. Time to see what parts I need to replace:o

CorvetteZ06
06-14-2007, 07:59 PM
hope they work things out with ya, i have always had good experiences with them in the past.

brokenmike
06-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I must be another lucky one that I have never had a single problem witha hot rods crank/rod in any of my bikes or my friends bikes. kx60,kx80,cr80,blaster,250r,lt250r,(3)400ex,:confu sed:

bardeenm1
06-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Just to re confirm the HOT COMPANY SUCKS.
Hot companies response to my crank I sent back in after it exploded after 1hr of use was they would not warranty anything because the rod was bent. After fighting with 2 people on the phone for 45 minutes and basically catching them in two lies they finally offered me to buy a new crank for $100 I was so astonished by a company that was just proven wrong that their product was faulty and that was all they are willing to do was offer me to by a crank. So back to arguing I made the point I guess this is why Honda is Honda and Hot rods is Hot rods. Everyone they just don't stand behind their products at all. They farm everything out to Taiwan and really don't want to see or warranty their junk. They insisted the rod got bent because of piston contact and that isn't totally false the rod did bend as an end result of the thrust washer and bearing going allow huge amounts of free play and casuing the piston to drag and catch on the cylinder wall and bend the rod. Before that all happened the washer and rod bearing shreaded my new main bearing and seals chewed up the inside of one of my sets of case halfs and started to hammer up my new piston. After fighting with them they finally decided they would send me a new crank I have yet to see the crank and this was a week ago. Bottom line is they said I ran the motor with the bent rod and it caused the washer to go and caused the damage. I caught them saying that the motor would of made lots of noise and vibrate with a bent rod and basicly this rod was bent that it wouldn't of run. STAY AWAY FROM SHOT RODS!

zedicus00
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
man that makes me feal lucky. ive had a hot rods setup for prolly 6 yrs in 1 of my quads.

i have learned the hard way to avoid pro-x pistons and cranks like the plague though.

when all else fails get a honda rod or do the yz rod conversion or any number of stock rod swaps. the aftermarket companys just do do rods and cranks as good... with some exceptions for billet banshee cranks but we dont hav thouse options.

bardeenm1
06-28-2007, 12:13 PM
never heard of a problem with pro x pistons? Please advise for me and others.
They are owned by the same people as weisco and I think JE.

stocktires
06-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I always loved my Pro-X stuff...

Kirt13
06-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Never had any issues with Pro-X or Hot Rod parts. That's all I use mostly.

honda350r
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I have had good luck with the Hot rods and hot cams and all balls!

Usually failures happen from poor installation !!

csr250r
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
all i have ever ran in my r is pro-x piston with a hot rods crank, seems like it has to be something with installation cuz i havnt had any problems at all with the piston or crank.

bardeenm1
06-30-2007, 08:37 AM
OK before you start running your mouths about install read this was all installed by a professional mechanic with 15yrs under his belt that keeps up on his MMI,Honda, Yammi, and stihl and other brands certifications. These are not installation problems if you don't have and accurate comment just keep you comments to yourself. All manufacturing has faulty items and parts what I'm trying to show you is HOT RODS/HOT CAMS DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. This has been stated and proven by many others now that I spend so much time looking into it also. I guess this is why many swear by Honda. So thanks for letting us know you've had good luck but DO NOT MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT MY MECHANIC WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING! I just don't know why people can't only comment with facts not ignorant speculation.

GPracer2500
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Yikes fella. Don't get so defensive.

How do you know for sure your mechanic didn't make a mistake? I know there's no way for me or anyone else to know that given what little we know about what happened.

Borrowing this idea of yours: "all manufacturing has faulty items and parts", it would stand to reason that all mechanics let something slip by them at some point or another as well. If you had actually done the work yourself then I'd be more inclined to take your word that the install when smoothly and without error. When a third party is involved then everything is coming second hand--how I'm I to know what's what. If the mchanic did make a mistake he discovered unpon the tear-down, it wouldn't surprize me for him to deflect the blame.

All I'm saying is if all I've got to go on is the info presented in this thread I don't really have a good sense of what happend. Mostly, all I'm hearing is a ticked off person instead of a compelling case against Hotrods. There's two sides to every story and when someone gets on the Internet and basically bashes a company they had a bad experience with all we get is one side.

Maybe it was Hotrods fault--heck, I don't know. But that's my point, I don't know, regardless of how convinced you are.

bardeenm1
06-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Not trying to get anyone upset but I have trusted my engine builder from my simple motors like my old blaster all the way to my CBR 600 never a failure. I was not there on the engine build but was on the tear down. I also have step by step pics. What I presented was the facts. My engine builders first thing he said before tear downs is humans make mistakes and would easily accept the blame if blame towards him was needed. Showing facts and evidence and by Hot Rods own admitance of the facts inadvertantly admitted a faulty product. Yes maybe I got the 1 out of 1000 but the difference between a good company and a bad company is who stands behind their products when presented by facts. I did post a little more info a few posts back about the situation and yes two side two everycase but hard evidence and facts can not be distbuted!
To the point of me doing it myself I trust the guy nore that has the correct tools, experience, and knowledge always looking to make a solid engine. Thanks guys and I'm sure I've had luck with products others haven't just want eveyone to know how this was handled by Hot Rods.

csr250r
06-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by bardeenm1
OK before you start running your mouths about install read this was all installed by a professional mechanic with 15yrs under his belt that keeps up on his MMI,Honda, Yammi, and stihl and other brands certifications. These are not installation problems if you don't have and accurate comment just keep you comments to yourself. All manufacturing has faulty items and parts what I'm trying to show you is HOT RODS/HOT CAMS DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. This has been stated and proven by many others now that I spend so much time looking into it also. I guess this is why many swear by Honda. So thanks for letting us know you've had good luck but DO NOT MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT MY MECHANIC WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING! I just don't know why people can't only comment with facts not ignorant speculation.

Yes u may have gotten that 1 out of 1000 the other 999 of us may have never had problems with this company and think it may have been installed incorrectly... its not that we are bashing ur mechanic in any way, settle down and dont go off on everyone... u want a fact? My hotrods crank has NEVER given me problems and i would reccomend one.

matt250r21
06-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I gave Hot Rods one chance, crank lasted 1 hr. I will never buy anything made by that company again.