PDA

View Full Version : Bottom end Qs.

beobe99
06-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok, the bottom end is all together I got this from someone local. He said everythings good and solid and that the cases just need to be TQ'ed together (its all assembled)

the issue i think i have, or maybe its normal or can easyly be fixed without the nitemare of ripping it apart is

When turning the flywheel and doing acouple rotations holding the rod I am getting a click sound. I finaly realized where the click was coming from. The kick start shaft would turn about half way then click back into place on about every rotation. Has anyone had this issue? is it an issue?

I used to have a kx125 that when i would kick it over sometimes the kicker would get stuck on the peg and I would get a rapid clicking sound untill I pulled it back up. Could the kick start shaft and gears be put in wrong?

IM REALLY not trying to tear this apart and deffinitly not trying to pay a shop to do it (was quoted "around 500 for tear down and reassembly) and 275 from another place accross the country.

(anyone local to Philly, PA familiar with rebuilding a bottom end?)

Thanks guys

wilkin250r
06-14-2007, 03:02 AM
No, that's not normal. The kickstart shaft shouldn't move.

You should be able to just pull the clutch-side cover off to fix any issues in the kickstart. You won't need to tear it all the way down to the crankshaft and gears.

I have no idea what the problem might be, but I DO know there isn't anything terribly difficult in the clutch side. A manual could walk you through those portions pretty easily.

I'm always the first to suggest "Send it to a professional", especially when tearing into engine cases and transmissions. But honestly, for just the clutch cover, I'm reasonably confident you can handle that yourself with the help of a repair manual. It's all still fairly simple in there. The only difficulty is that sometime the water pump shaft doesn't like to come out easily.

If you really and truly don't want to do it yourself, it should be significantly cheaper from a shop if they only have to take off the side cover, and not the entire transmission.

86 Quad R
06-14-2007, 08:22 AM
i think your problem may be as simple as the kiker assembly being installed improperly....

beobe99
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys,

I did check out the manual last night to see what I'd be getting into. The kicker assembly shouldn't be that much of a ***** (its the rest of it that gets real tech.) Im no stranger to the garage but the unkown always made me nervous you know...

Thanks for the tips..

If anyone has any other advise it woudl be apppreciated