PDA

View Full Version : Chain link Q

exrider505
06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I just picked up a new chain for my 2002 400ex from the dealer and its about 9 or 10 inches to long. Did they sell me the wrong one? Can links be taken out? (If so how?)

Sparky_20
06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
You could in theroy take them out, they are rivited from the factory. Is it 8 to 9 links with the adjuster at full tight? If it is then they definately gave you the wrong chain. The honda factory part number from servicehonda.com is 06405-KFB-P00

exrider505
06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
the adjuster is almost at full tight but its obvious that even if it was it would still be way off. Is there a special tool you have to have to remove links. Or should I just take it back and get a different one?

exrider505
06-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I havn't counted but the invoice says 116 links. Its a WPS chain.

gojk
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
116? The stock is 94. You can use a chain breaker and then buy a master link for it, but since it is new, I would just take the chain back and get the right one.

Sparky_20
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I bought a chain breaker off of rockymountain, its made by motion pro. It works really well but in this case just take it back.

wilkin250r
06-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Actually, that's really common. It has a master link, correct? It's not a continuous chain?

Chains come in all different lengths, but they are all a pretty standard size (520).

Rather than stock chains in 86, 90, 94, 96, 102, and 116 lengths, it's cheaper for your dealer to just stock one long length, and cut off any extra links.

It's really not hard, with the right tools. I've never used a chainbreaker, I've always just used a dremel. Just count the links you need, and grind the end off one rivet (it's okay to nick the link, because that link will also come out). Then a small nail or a punch, and pop the rivet out. Viola. Takes about five minutes.

I can understand the hassle if you don't have a dremel. If that's the case, then just take it back to the dealer, and they'll do it for you.

But honestly, they probably aren't going to give you a new chain, they'll just take the links out of the one you have. If you have the tools, you can save the trip.

When installing the new chain, don't just install it and take off. You need to take the "stretch" out of it. Ride a couple minutes (slowly), and adjust. A couple more minutes, adjust, each time riding a little harder. You'll probably adjust it five or six times in the first half hour. I've seen a few people ruin chains (and even engine cases) because they didn't know this.

exrider505
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks I will give that a try specially since the place I got it is an hour and a half away. Thanks for the info.

wilkin250r
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
There is a saying that carpenters use, "Measure twice, cut once".

Basically it means, take the extra couple minutes to be sure you are doing it correctly. Count your links carefully, and take a minute to look at the chain and master link to make sure you know which end of the link you want to grind on.

When you get done, you are going to say to yourself "Wow, that was actually easier than I thought".