PDA

View Full Version : Buildup Power Question

hawk77
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
In my quest to build some more power from my 87 250r, I need some advice from the knowledgeable. The motor I have been told is bored .30 over with a Weisco piston. It has an FMF pipe and is all stock other than that. I mostly ride trails and occasionally a motorcross track. I am trying to build it up slowly, but want a bad *** quad when its done. I am trying to figure out the order that I should go. Should I get the cylinder ported/polished first or add a 38mm Airstryker and a Rad Valve? I also have a K&N filter and outerwear and no airbox lid. I am open to any advice. If you have a carb or the rad valve for sale, PM me.

wilkin250r
06-14-2007, 03:11 AM
First step should be an "engine package", including porting, head modifications (or aftermarket head), and reeds.

If you can't do that all at once, then just go with reeds. You wouldn't want to run a ported cylinder on stock reeds.

The porting and head mods should definitely be done together.

Porting will definitely give you bigger gains than a carb.

Scott-300ex
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Well get all the internals done at the same time. Then jet it, its better to do all the motor work at the same time so you don't have to jet it like 5 times.

Bore, port, polish, head, carb, jet.