PDA

View Full Version : works or elka rear shock

forgiven
06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
What would be the difference of a works or elka single rate shock over the stock one?

Logan #34's Dad
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
NIGHT AND DAY. Go with the Elka's! Just took off Works and replaced with Elka's - Major differance!

racerdad199
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Will you please explain why you like the Elkas better than the works? I was looking into the works because I heard that they are better than the Elka's

Logan #34's Dad
06-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Unless you get all the best stuff with the works shocks then the Elka's are the answer. Recent example: Logan had the works "steelies" on the front of his quad and attempted an aggressive double at High Point - Result: violent landing and bounced back too quickly and ended up flipping end over end. Then this past weekend at the Nationals at High Point I got the new Elka's installed on the front and had zero issues without "setting them up".
The Elka's are proven - I would guess 8 of 10 racers use them.
Also the shaft is about twice as fat on the Elka.

drr wizard
06-18-2007, 07:31 AM
which elkas did you go with and about how much was the cost? did you replace all 3 ?
drr wizard

Logan #34's Dad
06-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I only could afford the front two Elka's. I am using the stock A-arms on the 44" DRX. The shocks are Dual rate, Fully adjustable. They are so smooth. They need more ride time to get them "broke in" then I'll start messing with them. My rear shock is a Works from his other old quad. It has no adjustability except changing the spring tention. The Dampening is way to fast but I can't do anything about it right now.

WOLFPACK
06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by racerdad199
Will you please explain why you like the Elkas better than the works? I was looking into the works because I heard that they are better than the Elka's There is a major difference between the Elka and the Works. The valving in the Works shock is a block of aluminum with holes. The valving in the Elka has a Valve and Shims the more accurately control flow at all progression.