PDA

View Full Version : car audio help

ridered11
06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
alright i'm starting to piece together my car and am trying to figure out what kind of system to get. (or how it all works for that matter)

so i started off with this head unit mainly because it was cheap and had an aux input in the front so i could plug my ipod right into it http://www.amazon.com/Aiwa-CDC-X204-Player-Detachable-Face/dp/B0007A5LO8

now i'm looking to get a sub, and have my eyes on this 10' kicker (only one because it's not a big car at all and i still need truck space) http://www.cardomain.com/item/KIC07TC104

and now my question is what to do with this amp situation, i have no clue what i need or what to get.

money is kind of short so nothing incredibly expensive, but if someone could help me out that would be cool. i just want my car to sound good

<DRS>GPF
06-13-2007, 05:16 PM
in a word...

crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com)

checkem out.

ridered11
06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, but what kind of power would i need to run a system like the one i stated above?

Chin_Chilla
06-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
yeah, but what kind of power would i need to run a system like the one i stated above? System? more like a sub and amp...:rolleyes:

JK

Do you want an amp only for the sub, or for the door speakers and such? If you just want an amp for the sub, get a small monoblock amp. Something like 200 watts, I don't think that kicker comp is pushing over 200 watts rms...

Best thing to do is match the sub and amp, so go with a kicker amp.

<DRS>GPF
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
yeah, but what kind of power would i need to run a system like the one i stated above?

there are amps specifically for subs that have a "low pass filter", which is just saying that its only going to allow lower frequencies out so its more tuned to the operating frequency of a sub..

your sub is effective from 30Hz to something like 200Hz..

pick your price for a "mono" subwoofer amp (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4jjVLVFuN0m/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=120&avf=N&nvpair=AG%5FNumber%5Fof%5FChannels%7CFFMono%5FSubw oofer)

your head unit only puts out about 22watts RMS per channel, so dont get a set of speakers that will require alot of power.
take the frequency range into consideration.. look for a set with a response range from as low as 40Hz to as high as 25000Hz.. (the larger range, the better)
something like that would compliment sub pretty good..

TGW_400ex
06-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
in a word...

crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com)

checkem out.

Or he could go with a cheaper site like www.woofersetc.com for example. Crutchfield IMO is overpriced.

Chin_Chilla
06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
Or he could go with a cheaper site like www.woofersetc.com for example. Crutchfield IMO is overpriced. x2 + infinity + 1 ... :blah:

whiteboycustom
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
just get a single sub bandpass box, gotta love fake bass haha

just fyi mp3 players in a car are great, it will take a lot to make those skip unlike a cd player that will skip if u fart wrong

Regular_Joe
06-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Any modern HU of even ok quality made in the last 10 years won't have skipping issues. Even the cheapo $100 Pioneer ones from Walmart are very hard to get to skip. I mean you would have to hit really rough RR tracks at 50+ and get some air to make it skip.

whiteboycustom
06-14-2007, 07:57 AM
well i had the not so cheap walmart addition pioneer and with 2- 12's in my ranger it would skip, i upgraded to 4-12's and it skipped worse, bought a alpine and now i dl my music mp3 style and they dont skip so if u want to believe that they are that much better go ahead i only made a suggestion that its 1000x's better to have mp3 for non skipping issues and the fact u can hold 150 plus songs on a disk

RahnL17
06-14-2007, 08:31 AM
if your cd player skipped it was prob. dirty. I have 2 1000 watt audiobahn's in my jeep and my cd changer is right in front of them under my back seat and has never skipped once because of the subs

whiteboycustom
06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
good try..... wasnt dirty, i kept it clean

and no it wasnt mounted wrong it was nice and solid, the same exact way the alpine is mounted

blasterandy
06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I've never heard that head unit. But if you are on a budget i would get a sony xplode they are fairly cheap and work well. I had one in my first truck.

atvRiDa400ex
06-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by blasterandy
I've never heard that head unit. But if you are on a budget i would get a sony xplode they are fairly cheap and work well. I had one in my first truck.

x2 its an awesome head unit for the money! granted its not the best out, but it sure does look like one!

here is mine in my truck:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mestoe/DSCN1530.jpg

ridered11
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
i also have these speakers, they are just not installed yet

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652612&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03075&id=1134701298078

so from my understanding, if i want to power a new sub and the speakers i already have, i need a 2 channel amp

how big does this amp need to be?