PDA

View Full Version : seized swingarm pivot bolt.

400excaleb
06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
i have done everything and cant get the bolt to budge. so i guess im gonna have to cut it. i was wondering if i could take my bolt and just buy a bolt at hardware store the same lenget and size. would this work. and also i heard u could get ur bolt molycoated and u wouldnt have to grease it. is this try

jrm03
06-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Don't recommend any other bolt than a stock type replacement. Molycoating will help greatly, Pappy on this site can hook ya up. Good luck, they are a mother if not maintained.

j450rking
06-15-2007, 09:41 PM
moly coating helps but i would still grease it every few months or just do what i did and install a grease fitting and plug the other end (works great)

if you don't know how to tap then you can get a stainless steal swinger bolt off ebay that alreddy has the grease fitting.

here is a pic of my greasable swinger bolt before i had pappy moly coat it

CSR400EX
06-16-2007, 12:03 PM
more then likely, you will have to cut the bolt out like i did. if its froze to the swingarm bushings, you'll need to get a swingarm bearing kit. if its froze inside the motor, i feel your struggle ahead:(

Honda#4
06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Careful that you dont ruin the bushing in the motor when u start cutting the bolt out cus that bushing is non replaceable.

400ex28
06-17-2007, 11:46 AM
20lb sledge ;)

fastredrider44
06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I cut my swingarm bolt out as well. My fourwheeler was in bad need of swingarm bushings when I got it. I was in the process of looking for a new bolt when I got to thinking that maybe another one would fit. My neighbor took the motor out of an '83 RM125 for a shifter go-kart. He gave the rest of the bike to me. I got to looking at the swingarm bolt off it, and it was a perfect replacement. You don't neccessarily have to have a 400ex bolt. Redneck I know, but it made me laugh when I realized what I had just done so I could ride one weekend. Bolt is still in place;)