PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a cam

tweaker
06-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I had a seriously built Banshee for probably 10 years that I sold 3 years ago. I'm new to 4-stroke quads. I've got a clean '94 300EX that I'm putting the topend of the engine together. It already has a Wiseco 11:1 piston in a fresh bore and a White Bros pipe. I'm trying to decide what cam to go with. I want it to be well mannered across the powerband, but also want as much top end as possible, considering my background. I want to be able to woods ride it as well as hit the dunes. What would be my best bet? How about a Web Cam 254 or 236? I want to go as big as reasonable without killing the bottom or making it too hard for someone less experienced to ride. Help me sort through this. If you've got anything used, I'd entertain that as well. I'll need rockers and springs to go along with it.

wilkin250r
06-14-2007, 02:33 AM
The 300EX has pretty small ports, so it doesn't breath well enough to really rev out. A cam will help, but if you want top-end power, consider spending a few hundred in a good port job (and possible oversized valves). It will really increase the top end. You will probably also need a high-rev CDI if you go this route.

tweaker
06-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on spending that much dough on this quad though. With that in mind which cam would make me happiest with a stock head?

400exrider707
06-14-2007, 06:03 AM
I'd just toss in a hotcam and be done with it, no messing with rockers or valve springs.

REDRIDDER
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I'd just toss in a hot cam and be done with it, no messing with rockers or valve springs. ill second that,the hot cams is a direct drop in no messing with hardened rockers no need for new springs,valves none of that money loving crap just straight up drop in,but you should check all of your parts to determine if replacement is nessary.Hey 400exrider707 i find my self quoting your stuff more than anyone else's you know what that means right? Great minds think alike lol.........

400exrider707
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
ill second that,the hot cams is a direct drop in no messing with hardened rockers no need for new springs,valves none of that money loving crap just straight up drop in,but you should check all of your parts to determine if replacement is nessary.Hey 400exrider707 i find my self quoting your stuff more than anyone else's you know what that means right? Great mines think alike lol.........

Agreed.

Wanna hit up open practice sometime during the week?:cool:

REDRIDDER
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Agreed.

Wanna hit up open practice sometime during the week?:cool: i think you live in Syracuse NY correct?anyways im just a plain ol trail rider i dont have the suspension set up for jumps on an mx track but would love to ride trails near you somtime.ps lets tag team some posts lol... hey go to the open forums and go under (what was your first quad?) and leave your comments thakns again 400exrider707.

tweaker
06-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Why not go with the Web Cam 245? It looks to be a drop-in and has more lift than the Hot Cam.

tweaker
06-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Or confirm:)

REDRIDDER
06-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by tweaker
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Or confirm:) valve lift .310 duration in dgrees 266 duration @.050 in dgrees grind#245 yes they say it is a bolt in camshaft improves overall preformance ,but it is also says its hardwelded and i thought if the cam was hardwelded that it meant the material that is made from is harder than what the stock rocker arms could handel thus needing to upgrade.Im not sure but i know for a fact that hot cams are brand new and are not hard welded,with web cams i think you send them your current cam and they will grind or hardweld ,here this is from their site( WEB-CAM has been hard welding and grinding cams since 1945. With our knowledge, and long time involvement with the racing industry WEB-CAM has proven to be the best.

Our nickel based hard facing alloys are homogeneous materials containing complex microscopic bi- and tri-metallics. These weld overlays greatly enhance the erosion and abrasion resistance of our hard welded parts. In addition, they offer very high thermal fatigue resistance.) This is why you need beefeir valve train cause The weld overlays greatly enhance the erosion and abrasion resistance of our hard welded parts and wears on the valve train instead. lol....their great if you get the whole shee bang but thats to exspensive to just do a cam ,hot cam is the easiest in my opinion.

tweaker
06-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post that. What you said makes perfect sense to me.

REDRIDDER
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by tweaker
Thanks for taking the time to post that. What you said makes perfect sense to me. Thank you i appreciate that very much and I'm glad you understand the difference's try to explain the best i know.

blsnelling
06-15-2007, 05:04 PM
So is the Hot Cam a significant upgrade from stock? My stock cam is fine and if a stage 1 cam isn't that noticeable, rather more of an OEM replacement, I'd rather save my dough and do it when I can afford the whole package for a bigger cam.