PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem?

03bill
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I am working a LTR for a kid that races locally. All three of this indicator lights come on when he turns the key on. I have checked his wiring and found a wire that was bare and cleaned it up and wrapped it. It is down by the fuse box on the battery. However, it has since started to cut out when he is riding and from time to time the power goes completely out and wont power up at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so could you give me some direction on where to start looking to fix it. I have the battery box pulled off and the fuses all replaced.

Thanks for any help you can give! He is suppose to race this weekend but wont happen without the bike.

kbrown
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Yeah I have had the same issues. Check the wires where the key switch connect. They tend to get dirty and come apart. There are 3 wires in the one plug so take them out clean them and then put some electrical fitting grease on them and tape them up. I bet this fixes it. Let me know.

03bill
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I bet you are right because we had the plastic off the front the day before and we had to pull the key switch when took the plastics off. I will check it when I get home and post my results. Hopefully this will help other out in the future.

Thanks for your response!

hanes17
06-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I have had the same problem twice. The first time I stuck the wire back in the harness and taped it all up good, but the second time, after being tired of DNFing for this reason, I eliminated the harness and added about three inches of wire so there is no resistance pulling on those wires. Now I have no problems.

03bill
06-14-2007, 04:58 AM
You were correct. I pulled it apart and one of the wires was half way out. I got it back to together and it started right up. However, the temp light is still on, so I checked the water pump and it is working. I checked the fan and it is engaging. I check the wires running to the fan and the top of the motor which appears to be the sensor. Is there anything else I should check?

LTR450_#67
06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Go over all of your electrical plugs. From the service manual...

"When one of the signals is not recieved by the ECM, the fail-safe circuit works and injection is not stopped. In this case, FI light is lighted in the indicator panel and vehicle can run."

Aaron

QIKLTR
06-16-2007, 05:57 PM
now that you have the quad running, is it still sputtering? if it is its more than likely the fuel filter especially if the FI/Temp light is on or blinking.

03bill
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
It is running great. The light is still on but doesn't blink just stays solid all the time. I have went thru everything and it is still on. Not sure what to do with it now. He is going to race it tomorrow so we will see what happens.