PDA

View Full Version : Help ? About Gt Thunder Rebuilds

TRX450RACER174
06-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I had my shocks rebuilt about 5 months ago and i am having problems with them, basically they are to soft i told them the type of racing i was doing and went with there reccomendations now i call them and tell them they are to soft and i need to get them redone and they wont shoot me a price until i send them in so i am a little discouraged. I thought they kept all of that info on file so i am not shure if i should send them back or send them to Colby or Santo and spend another 5 to 6 bills to get them done again. Help please anybody i have 2 months until my next race and need to get this handled.

trx450rbaja
06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I hardly ever post as you can see but I have used Santo before and I have never had a problem with their rebuilds. And on the other hand I have heard several problems with GT Thunder. I think if I were you I would complain till blue in the face because it sounds like they didn't do what they were asked and if all else fails send them to Santo. :D

Rich250RRacer
06-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
I had my shocks rebuilt about 5 months ago and i am having problems with them, basically they are to soft i told them the type of racing i was doing and went with there reccomendations now i call them and tell them they are to soft and i need to get them redone and they wont shoot me a price until i send them in so i am a little discouraged. I thought they kept all of that info on file so i am not shure if i should send them back or send them to Colby or Santo and spend another 5 to 6 bills to get them done again. Help please anybody i have 2 months until my next race and need to get this handled.

Laz is a really good guy to deal with, AND he knows what he's doing, whether it's suspension or motor work. Did you follow his set-up procedure? If you did and you still feel there's something wrong, send them back. I'm pretty sure he doesn't make house calls. To the guy who said he's heard of a bunch of problems with GT Thunder's work, I say that is nothing but BS. If there is a problem, Laz stands behind his work 100%.

400exrider707
06-13-2007, 06:06 AM
I've never heard of any problems with GT Thunder, other than he can be hard to get a hold of sometimes, but his suspension setups are usually very good. You can PM A A R O N on here as he works there, he may be able to help you out.

honda450runicam
06-13-2007, 06:16 AM
I have the GT Thunder revalve package on my 450R. GT set my shocks up for mx dual rate fronts and single rate rear with mx linkage and I couldn't be happier. I had very good experience with GT Thunder. If you feel that the shocks are too soft try messing with preload and compression... You may need to adjust them a little bit. Mine shocks need tweaked a little. Otherwise I would send them back and have Laz go over them again. It shouldn't be the full price again maybe just a service.

That's my 2 cents

trx450rbaja
06-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I wasn't saying it was anything majorly bad I race in the Score Series and a few of the people i've talked to about it said they had problems, nothing against GT Thunder it's just hearsay on my end. :)

06-13-2007, 06:45 AM
I have 3 quads with GT Thunder suspension. I am very happy with all of them. I did have a problem with the 05 Z400. The rear shock pulled a part. I sent it back and he fixed it no charge.

TRX450RACER174
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Basically i think they have the wrong set up on them, i have the front adj all the way down and the compression 1/4 turn out from bottom and they bottom out hard, when i sent them in i explained what kinda racing i do which is basically a cross between mx/xc, the courses are 6 to 10 miles in length and 45 to
60 min long. I am just frustrated as i live in cali and i have to send them all the way back there but what can i do, anyways thank for the good feedback looks like they are going in a box and going back.

duke416ex
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Do you know what your ride height is? By all the way down, if you are meaning that you have all teh preload out of the front shocks then I would say that is most of your problem. I do agree that they are probably soft, but I know they shoot for a really plus ride. I have heard both sides on revalves, not just gt but many companies, and I have ran them in the past. Setting them up right once they are on teh quad is still a big part of the performance.

TRX450RACER174
06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I have the adjuster collar all the way down to the last thread on the bottom of the adj not the top, as far as ride height i am not sure at the moment i have it wrote down at home, like i said i just don't think these are set up right, out in the desert they are fine but in the mx/xc that i do they are just to soft and that is where my prob is, when i sent these in i specified the tire size and type of racing i do now i find myself having to shell out more money to fix a problem i should not have in the first place.

snacob14
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
You think maybe because you have them setup for both totally different types of racing that he set them up as best he could for your suggestion. You want a relatively soft suspension for xc and a relatively stiff for mc. Sounds like you got something right in the middle

TRX450RACER174
06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah but i asked 4 more on the stiff side than the soft side and ? them about the setup and they told me it would be fine. Imagine a 6 to 10 mile mx track that is what we ride long sweeping turns, flat open area, hills and jumps of all sizes small to large so i needed the stiffer setup.

450rJam
06-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I think you said it, 6 to 10 mile mx track.

get the mx set up, did you tell them your weight with all your gear