PDA

View Full Version : Leaky oil filter cover???

raptor88
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Well i just bought a 05' 400ex for my fiance and i went ot change the oil for the first time and when i put it all back together it leaked like crazy? is this normal? i didnt think it should leak on the first time its been apart? just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Sparky_20
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Make sure the bolts are torqued down. If they are then take the cover off and look at the o-ring on the cover and make sure it is in good shape. Also on those make sure the oil filter is installed correctly!! There is a spot on the filter that says this side out

hornetgod13
06-11-2007, 11:58 PM
DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE OIL FILTER BOLTS!!! The bolts will snap or strip out if you are not careful. Too many people have made that error. You've most likely cut the o-ring. It cost only a couple bucks at a honda dealer or online parts store.

svahle
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
This may sound commonsensical, but make sure there is no dirt or grime between the contact surfaces. I recently had to change fluids at the dunes without much light and had a leak around the drain bolt afterwards. When I got home, I pulled the drain bolt and found a little bit of grime that was keeping the bolt from fully seating. Once it was all cleaned up the leak stopped.

If all is good and clean, you probably need a new o-ring as mentioned above.

I know it was in all caps above, but I can not stress enough that you should not overtighten the oil filter cover bolts. They do strip very easily.

TYayo420
06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE OIL FILTER BOLTS!!! The bolts will snap or strip out if you are not careful. Too many people have made that error. You've most likely cut the o-ring. It cost only a couple bucks at a honda dealer or online parts store.

EDIT JOEX- That was unneccessary:ermm:

trx400EXtreme
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
EDIT JOEX- So was that:rolleyes:

raptor88
06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
thanks, cleaning it was the first thing i did when it started leaking, i put a new o ring in it and it stoped it but i just thought it was kind of ****y that i had to change the o ring on the first oil change? but sh&% happens i guess

JOEX
06-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by raptor88
thanks, cleaning it was the first thing i did when it started leaking, i put a new o ring in it and it stoped it but i just thought it was kind of ****y that i had to change the o ring on the first oil change? but sh&% happens i guess
There may have been a bit of grit in there or it may have gotten pinched during reassembly, it happens...

hornetgod13
06-13-2007, 06:55 PM
The maintenance manual states you should change the o-ring during each filter change. I inspect the o-ring each time I have the cover off. I have spares but, haven't needed to use a new one yet.