PDA

View Full Version : How do you loosen the timing chain.

Sick0
10-19-2002, 01:31 PM
I'm rebuilting my engine, and wondering how to remove my head. I was wondering how to loosen my timing chain. I know I should buy the manul but the quad shop doesn't have yet. So I'm going a head and tear down the engine and get clean and check the engine. Please help.

josh
10-19-2002, 01:54 PM
uh, my advise, order a manual from somewere, my dad and i tore down my ex and it is really hard to line up the timing if you don't have a manual, and make sure you put the piston back in right, you would think the timing is lined up with notches or letters that are the same, but it isn't, i forget exactly but there should be something on the cylinder bout in the middle that would align with the cam and chain, but my advise is just find someone with a manual cuz the timming is almost imposs to align without the manual, good luck bro

josh

Sick0
10-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Well I already plan on getting a manual this week.
But right now I'm just trying to tear down the motor as fas as Ican to figure out what I need. Plus I like to clean every thing over the weekend.
I will be spliting the case over this week and have a friend helping do that so I want to get as far.

RytM1
10-19-2002, 08:32 PM
There is a tensioner on the rear of the cylinder head, that is spring tensioned. You have to remove the cover from the center of it, then stick a screwdriver in the center of it and turn it counter-clockwise. Send me your email address, and I can scan the page from the manual to give you a better idea of what to look for. Or you can carefully take the cam gear off the cam, then slip the chain off the gear. Just make sure you use a wire or something to hold the chain up so that it doesnt fall into the case.

EX 80
10-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Just tkae the tensioner off the cylinder, 2 bolts

Live2Ride300
10-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Ya, be careful not to let the timing chain fall into the bottom end, its heck trying to fish it back up...Get some wire and tie it up

Sick0
10-20-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys. But I end up figuring it out at 3:oo in the morning when I got home. I just took the peice off in the back of the cylinder.

I'm not worry about drop it down since I already have the side case off and the rest will be getting disassmled.

Live2Ride300
10-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Damn, so you dropped it in there by accident?

Sick0
10-20-2002, 08:20 AM
No. But if you be enough of the post about doing cam work, every body tells to becare full about droping the chain.