PDA

View Full Version : truck talk

ny300exrider
06-11-2007, 07:33 PM
im going to be in the market for a new used vehicle soon and i could use alittle insight.

my number one top choice right now is an 02-up ram 1500 4x4 quad cab slt with the 20's. i really like how they look, i love the 4 door, and overall just really like the truck other than the gas mileage. id like some opinions from owners of this truck on how they like it, pros, cons, etc. obviously its crazy to want to upgrade from a v6(drive a 99 isuzu rodeo 4x4)ro a v8 nowadays with gas but my dad owns a landscape business so i will be towing trailors, taking my 400 around, going on the beach, etc so i think getting a car is out of the picture. how does the 4.7 motor compare the the 5.7 hemi? big difference in fuel economy? big difference in power?

i know some will recomend something smaller like a tacoma or colorado but in reality, i think if i go with a truck it should be fullsize. i wouldnt want to get a little 4cyl tacoma and then be out of luck when i have to bring our new holland on the dual axle trailor to a job.

any opinions are greatly appreciated

thanks

300ex07
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
With the new hemi's it varies alot between different truck what you get for gas mileage. There are a few around my town that get 7-8 in town and 11-12 on the highway. But my dads 05 gets 12-13 in town and 15-18 on the highway. I've never driven one with a 4.7 but I can tell you that the power of the hemi in impressive.

nosliw
06-12-2007, 09:28 AM
this most likely isn't something you want to do, but i'll throw it out there.

old datsun/yota/ect DIESEL 1/4ton pickup.

adding 1 ton suspension isn't a big deal, plus you get over 40mpg on the highway.

they're hard-ish to find, but when you do the guys want some dollar for them. figure $8K.

but let me tell you, they are worth it.

if not that, then why not an older C/K 1500 6.2/6.5 diesel pickup?

and why 1/2 ton? you can find cheap 3/4-1ton older dodge cummins pickups and they will NEVER let you down (towing/power/mpg/engine life)

i'm pushing the diesel-thing because you said you wanted MPG.

wishmasstir
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
i'm a chevy guy so i have to put this out there, the new chevy trucks with the 5.3l get really good mpg. active fuel management, it will shut off 4 cylinders when they arent needed, 20mpg in a fullsize truck isn't too bad.

active fuel management (http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/afm_en.jsp)

ny300exrider
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
im not looking to go backwards and get something older with more mileage than my current truck...

i like the new technology with the fuel saving but i definitly will not be going new....i'd say from researching on ebay,autotrader, etc, an 03 is probably the newest i will be able to afford

my top 2 choices are the ram 1500 quad cab slt and the silvy 1500 ext. cab but i like the looks of the dodge alot more

-gas mileage obviously is taken into consideration BUT in the near future i will be picking up a drz400 dual sport that gets 55+mpg so that will be a big saver

parkers30
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
The Chevy WILL get better mileage. My dad consistently get 18-19 at 75 out of his 04 and has had zero problems at 150k, just normal wear and tear.

I have never talked to any one getting any where near 18 mpg out of the Dodges, especially 4x4.

TWISTED
06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
If you're gonna be pulling a tractor around, you better look for a 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton, trust me......

ny300exrider
06-12-2007, 05:54 PM
we have 2500hd and 3500 dump for heavy towing so its not like it would be an all the time thing...it was just a "what if" situation. it would be extremly rare to have anything heavier than 2-3 mowers on a landscape trailer. the fact is, im 6'2 and just cant picture myself crammed into a little s10.. i plan on putting some subs in too so the fullsize ext. cab seems like its the better choice.

the tacomas are nice truck, but they seem to really hold their value around here, and that is one of the things holding me back. 01's with 50-60k are going for like 18,000.

the silverados are definitly right up there with the ram....if i found a nice one id take that no doubt. i hear the 5.3 is a pretty good motor, and all of my families trucks are gm.

obviously it comes down to what i find in my price range....i just like to plan ahead.