PDA

View Full Version : how hard would a 300 be to kick without a decompression lever...?

maddmatt02
06-11-2007, 07:07 PM
ok, Im putting together a 300ex engine, and with the price of a battery, starter, silenoid, control to start it it gets expensive, plus id rather save the weight. I got a 250x side case alreayd, and some kick start parts, but its a 300ex head and I was just wondering how hard it would be to kick without the automatic decompression thing working? I know once I kicked a tt500 over and when it was just compression throwing me back up it wasnt nothing but when it was a spark that threw me up man that hurt.

redgreen_parker
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
it shouldn't be that bad. i completely unhooked the decomp. lever on my old 250 and i suppose that if a, then 14 year old boy could do that then noone else should have any problem. now being a couple years older it's easier than ever. good luck with the build.

2muchquad
06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Im building a 250x for a "play bike" right now and with a 12 to 1 piston and without the decomp cable ,its still easy to kick with a little *** behind it though;)

maddmatt02
06-11-2007, 11:17 PM
ok this is gonna be a stock bore 300 with the old piston/cylinder/head I found in the shed with just a hone job and new rings, so it should be pretty easy. I just wanna get it running at all and then get everything else together and then Ill work on more power. I know ive seen a few with cr500's so ill look into that. Ill probably gusset the frame while im modding it for 450r a arms if I go that route.

dork
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
if you're running the 300ex cases i don't think the 250x cover alone will work. i believe you have to install a different mainshaft in the tranny for one of the idler gears and machine a hole for the other. also the 250x sidecover has a different oiling system.

maddmatt02
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
well, there went that idea to go cheaper. someone told me all I had to do was machine a hole in the stock 300 case, but figured since I had a 250x case cover id use that. I guess Ill have to figure it out when it finally gets here. its been a long time, I hope its coming.