PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

RideHard26
06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey guys I need your help in deciding which quad to get.

I've been riding ATV's for 3-4 years now, my first quad being a (not sure on year) Honda Recon 250. I rode that for about a year than upgraded to my brothers 2003 Honda Sportrax 300ex. I loved the 300ex compared to the Recon! Anyways, I've been riding the 300ex for a few years now and it's developing problems, but most importantly I need a power upgrade and something new.

I know my new quad is going to be a Honda, I love them, but I'm just not sure which model. Basically it's between the 2008 Honda TRX450R and the Honda TRX400EX. The first thing I want to say is I want to buy brand new and I'm wondering why there's no 2008 TRX400EX on Honda's website? The latest model I see is 2007?

Anyways, the quad is going to be used for all types of riding! It needs to be very versatile! I do alot of exploring so it's going to be riding every type of trails you can imagine! Fast sand trails with speed humps here and there, fast dirt trails, tight woods trails, sometimes muddy, big rocks here and there, big steep hills, sand dunes, and occasional small time jumping. But there's also good wide open locations around where I really want to be able to open up and rip!

Oh yeah I can't forget to mention I live in New England so in the winter there's gonna be extremely cold temperatures with snow on the ground, and in the summer it's gonna be really hot.

And by the way I'm not going to be able to do any serious internal mechanical upgrades, I just don't know how yet. I gotta keep it simple like nerfs, handguards, etc. The most technical I could get would probably wheels and tires and maybe having my dad help me install an exhaust system. (And would you guys please post the better brands out there for upgrades/mods?)

So yeah what's gonna be better for me? 450R or 400EX?

(I was gonna get the 450R hands down until I started reading it's not so good for anything but straight motocross so I figured I'd post this.)

Also I know I said I want Honda, but if you know of a quad that will fit my style better that isn't Honda, be sure to let me know!

*EDIT* I totally forgot to mention this: I'm 16 years old weighing in at 165lbs. Is the 400EX let alone the 450R going to be too much for me to handle?

Chino886
06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't know if you have considered it, but 400EXs have reverse where as a 450R does not!

Don't know if that would persuade you one way or another!

Just my 2 pesos! :devil:

RideHard26
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
I don't know if you have considered it, but 400EXs have reverse where as a 450R does not!

Don't know if that would persuade you one way or another!

Just my 2 pesos! :devil:

I actually did think about that, Chino. I mean I've had to use reverse many times on my 300EX, but I figure I could sacrifice it for more power.

Not to come off like an ***, but concerning the quads which do you think would be better for me?

Chino886
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
If I were in the same situation, I would most likely get the 400EX!

If you get the 450R, :

1. You won't have reverse (makes it tough on tight trails)
2. You will need to perform more maintenance (top end life, oil changes, etc)
3. You will have more power, but at the costs of the 1 and 2!

If I were in your shoes, I would get the 400EX, has plenty of power for the recreational rider, lots of fun too!

I hope I have helped! ;)

RideHard26
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
If I were in the same situation, I would most likely get the 400EX!

If you get the 450R, :

1. You won't have reverse (makes it tough on tight trails)
2. You will need to perform more maintenance (top end life, oil changes, etc)
3. You will have more power, but at the costs of the 1 and 2!

If I were in your shoes, I would get the 400EX, has plenty of power for the recreational rider, lots of fun too!

I hope I have helped! ;)

Now you have helped, thanks bro!

Chino886
06-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by RideHard26
Now you have helped, thanks bro!

No problem, I wish I would of kept my 400EX, they last forever with simple maintenance!

You will have loads of fun with a pipe and filter on the 400EX!

Cha cha cha chino! ;)

RideHard26
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
No problem, I wish I would of kept my 400EX, they last forever with simple maintenance!

You will have loads of fun with a pipe and filter on the 400EX!

Cha cha cha chino! ;)

lol, maybe you could tell the noob what you mean by "pipe and filter"? I'm assuming pipe=exhaust and filter=air filter or fuel filter?

And by the way I never did a single maintence task on the 300EX! I'll never abuse an ATV like that again!

And on the pipe and filter upgrade what make and model?

BlaineKaiser450
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
iwent from a 250x to a 450r and it was a great switch. the 450r has a TON of power and if you need reverse its pretty easy to pick up and spin around. I race mx on my 450 but i do fast trails sometimes and its great. The faster you go the better it works. The only downside is that it has a small oil tank so you need new oil every hard ride. I have never ridden a 400ex but from what i hear they are great. So no matter what you get you'll be very happy! (i am 12 and 110 pounds and 5 '6)

Flyin-Low
06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
400ex = BULLETPROOF!

450R = FAST!

Honestly, I've got a 400ex sitting in my shop right now and I do about the same riding as you do, except I go to the track quite a bit. After I got the 450r I haven't been able to ride the EX, the power is addictive on the 450 and I just can't go back.

Once you've ridden a 450 there is no going back, for the bit more maintenance needed it's totally worth every single bit.

Also, if you leave the engine relatively stock (which I doubt you will :devil: ) they can be extremely reliable.

-Martin

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Flyin-Low
400ex = BULLETPROOF!

450R = FAST!

Honestly, I've got a 400ex sitting in my shop right now and I do about the same riding as you do, except I go to the track quite a bit. After I got the 450r I haven't been able to ride the EX, the power is addictive on the 450 and I just can't go back.

Once you've ridden a 450 there is no going back, for the bit more maintenance needed it's totally worth every single bit.

Also, if you leave the engine relatively stock (which I doubt you will :devil: ) they can be extremely reliable.

-Martin

No I'll be leaving the engine stock on whatever I get. I don't know how to install anything but external accesories, the best I could do mechanicaly is have someone help me with an exhaust system. So how much more maitence is needed for the 450R? And what does the extra maitence include?

Chino886
06-12-2007, 06:51 AM
lol, maybe you could tell the noob what you mean by "pipe and filter"? I'm assuming pipe=exhaust and filter=air filter or fuel filter?

And by the way I never did a single maintence task on the 300EX! I'll never abuse an ATV like that again!

And on the pipe and filter upgrade what make and model?

Yes sir, Pipe and filter= exhaust and air filter!

I know everyone is trying to sell you on Power, but I am still sticking with my suggestion of the 400EX! I have owned both and if I were just recreationally riding every weekend, the 400EX would be my choice hands down!

The extra maintenance, not really extra, but more time consuming and costly on the 450R.

1. Checking the valves on the 400EX is simple compared to the 450R!

2. Spark plugs for the EX are $2.??, Spark plugs for the 450R are $12.??!

3. Oil Filters for the 400EX are $4.??, Oil filters for the 450R are $11.??! (OEM prices from the dealer)

4. Oil selection on the 450R is much more cruical as it is a "racing" machine!

5. Engine coolant is an added maintenance on the 450R as the 400EX is air cooled!

6. Piston life is much shorter and will need attention sooner on the 450R! (I had a 2002 400EX, lots of hrs, oil changes and such, did not change out the piston till 2006, and it was not smoking or anything)

Those are just some hard facts of the matter!

Don't get me wrong, I love my 450R, but at times, I wish I would of kept the 400EX! If you want to be able to go and and jump on your machine and ride when you want, 400EX would by my suggestion to you!

Just my uneducated 2 pesos once again!

Cha cha cha chino!

;)

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks you've been a great help, Chino! I think I'm going to go with the TRX400EX, but does anyone know if a 2008 model is going to be released, and when!? I only want to buy brand new.

Also, what pipe and filter do you guys recommend? And what other accesories are essential?

And another reason I think I'm goin with the 400EX is because some guy over at forums.atvconnection.com is tellin me the 450R absolutely HATES to lug down and go somewhat slow on trails, and requires alot of annoying clutch work.

Chino886
06-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks you've been a great help, Chino! I think I'm going to go with the TRX400EX, but does anyone know if a 2008 model is going to be released, and when!? I only want to buy brand new.

Also, what pipe and filter do you guys recommend? And what other accesories are essential?

From what I have heard, there is not a 2008 400EX (or no changes from 07 that is)!

The best bang for the buck on the 400EX is a HMF slip-on or White Brother slip-on pipe for Exhaust!

As far as air filter, I would go with a UNI! This is a controversial topic as you will find, but I feel the protection of a UNI (foam) filter far outweighs the benefits of the K & N (paper) filter!

400exrider707
06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
I too would recommend the 400ex for the exact reasons chino has presented. If you do get it, I would hold off on the filter and pipe first. I know this is usually what most people do is buy these, but I think comfort and the ability to ride it better are more important. First thing I replace now is handlebars, try a few different ones on buddies or at the track just see how they feel, and get a good comfortable set. Next I would look at tires if not tires and wheels. Tires can be one of the biggest improvements made to your machine. Depending on riding conditions and how much money you want to spend, you could drastically improve the feel and the characterisitics of your quad with good tires. Next would be suspension, THEN do power mods. The UNI filter I can see doing early because its only about $25 and they are very simple to clean and are a very good quality, but thats up to you.

06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
having both in my garage right now, i can say that the 400ex is better for what you have described...chino has hit the nail on the head with everything.

as far as upgrading it when you get it...do skid plates first. the swing arm skid needs to be at least .250 thick for what oyou described and any thickness chassis skid will do. after that, work on control and suspension...a stick style steering stabilzer will do you without breaking the bank. then a good set of front shock and a revalve on the rear and you will have a whole different bike...tires make a difference here too

after you have the ability to handle the stock power(the suspension just couldn't handle it before) of the 400ex with these upgrades, then you can do the pipe and filter...

there will be a 08 400ex, they are just amking some major upgrades to it...most likely better front suspension along with a few other changes...but that is just speculation...it should be available later in the year...

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
So should I wait for the 2008 to come out?

Chino886
06-12-2007, 07:57 AM
So should I wait for the 2008 to come out?

I can't think of any major changes that the 400EX willl have, they have not changed much since 99 except for cosmetically!

Go ahead and get one now and get out there and ride! :devil:

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Well can you get brand new 2007's? I don't want a quad that's been sitting in the lot for a year.

Chino886
06-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, just call the dealer and tell them you want a "brand new" 2007!

It is still brand new if it has been on the show room floor, plus, most of them don't even get started when they are on the showroom floor so they are still brand new.

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Alright cool, thanks a lot guys!

The only thing is I'm a bit confused with what upgrades you are suggesting and in what order to ge them? Maybe someone could make a nice list for me, starting with the most crucial. Also, when you say get a skid plate etc, please tell me the brand name and model. I have no idea what the good, reliable, tough brands are out there.

06-12-2007, 08:30 AM
follow the order i suggested...

since you are riding trails in like me...

protect the bike with prm skid plates or armadillo...just as long as your swing arm skid is .250 thick...anything less will bend into your sprocket and rotor...

then after that...go for suspension and comfortability...suspension will make you a lot faster...as the bike will b able to put the power to the ground better and and help you maintain better control...

then go ahead and increase the power output since the ability to handle it is there...

i would wait for the 08 to be announced, it was not on hondas website as of yet and all the others were. that means it is either gone from the lineup(highly doubt)or there are major changes coming.

it should be annouced with in a month or 2...it already has the 450r look so that can't be the big change. i don't think front shocks are going to be the only change to it...i think honda has something up their sleeve that just may surprise people

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Alright that's what I was looking for thanks, speedy. This is probably a retarded question, but the purpose of skid plates is to protect the mechanics under the quad right? And is a "swingarm" the chain and axel bits? (I'm trying to tell by the pictures)

OK I just called Honda to find out what the deal was with a 2008 TRX400EX. She's telling me that no new models are going to be released until September. That doesn't really make any sense to me since there's other 08's on the website but whatever...does anyone want to fill me in on what she means?

Oh and speedy I got some friends in Locust Gap. They all for the most part ride hills. They all pretty much got Banshees with paddles.

06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
she means that the 08 models won't be available to buy from the dealer until september an/or that the announcement on the changes for the 400ex won't be made until september...it si only a few months away...i would hold out that long just to see what the changes are

RideHard26
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Yea it's only a few months away, but the few months inbetween is my whole summer. I'd rather wait and have the newer quad with factory upgraded parts anyways.