PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

sahlberg
06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok, so, I was in the Stunt section of the forums. People said they shifted without using the cluthc while in a wheelie. So, is this like the 250ex where it's just a foot shift but with a clutch as well? I'm just confused about that..sorry. So, is it safe to shift without the clutch?

gbcap
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
the only time i use my clutch on my bike is under hard decel or slow sections. most upshifting i do without even touching my clutch. most easy downshifting i do without it as well.

sahlberg
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
wow. I didn't know you didn't NEED to use the clutch. What about taking off in 1st? Sorry, this whole thing is new to me lol, I'm used to my friends blaster where you need the clutch to start moving in first gear and such. Thanks lol. And sorry for the stupid question, just thought with a bigger bike you'd need the clutch.

400exrider707
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes you obviously need it to get moving in first, it is designed to use the clutch at all times, however most dont, including myself. I ride exactly like gbcap explained it. never upshifting, and only when its hard decel or if I use the rear brakes at all I grab it.

sahlberg
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh, ok cool. Now i get it. Just wanted to clarify all that stuff before I actually get the bike. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Flyin-Low
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Hmm.. I was under the impression you always had to use the clutch?

I felt bad for my quad when I didn't use the clutch doing wheelies :confused:

-Martin

gbcap
06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
if your doing general trail riding i would suggest using the clutch. it IS designed to be used. it is not like the 250x that has an auto clutch. i just don't use it cause it speeds up the shifting process. it is going to be harder on a trans then using the clutch.

Flyin-Low
06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
seeing as I ride EVERY day... I doubt my trans would have lasted the like 150 hours I have on my 06 if I didn't use the clutch?

-Martin

gbcap
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
my dad has an 89 250R still raced to this day. on its 5th top end and mulitple resleaves and re rings. he shifts the same way as i do. hell he taught me that. he has NEVER once broken the case open to do anything to the trans mission. only ever had to put like 5 clutches in it total. it can't be that bad on them.

Sjorge450R
06-11-2007, 02:23 PM
the clutch on the R is just like a blaster. Most never use the clutch except when stopping or starting. I use it. I just like to.

Flyin-Low
06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
hmm, good point :devil:

I guess I'll try your ways some time.

-Martin

P.S. If my trans goes, you owe me a new one :p

d3ktrix
06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I use the clutch every time I shift up or down.

So does everyone else I ride with.

If you do it right, nothing wrong with up shifting w/o it tho.

trx450jason
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Just so you know you can use your clutch in a wheelie. I used to think you couldn't either until I learned to find my balance point and could shift from 1st to 5th gear in a wheelie using the clutch. Just takes some time and practice.

sahlberg
06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Cool. I just can't get over that you can shift pretty safely without using the clutch on a non-auto clutch quad.

Oh, and with the wheelies, how do you go from a dead stop into a wheelie? Right now i don't have a clutch so I'm not sure. Do you HAVE to drop the clutch to pop it up from a dead stop or what? Lol, thanks

BlaineKaiser450
06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
i always use the clutch but i can pull the clutch in and let it out super fast so it doesnt really hinder me. It hasnt failed me a holeshot yet!

Chew Spit
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
you can shift all kinds of Rigs, bikes, trucks, cars, quads etc... that have manual transmissions..

Its all about knowing the right rpm to be in...

Hell i know some truck drivers that only use the clutch to Start, stop...

I shift without it sometimes, and i have no worries about it ever doing any harm..