PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed at all

wheresrichie
06-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I took my boys to a race over the weekend and there were alot of Apex 90's on the track. But only for a short period of time. 2-'07 mxr 90's were there for there first race. One blew the tranny on it's first practice and the other blew the tranny in the first heat. The one that blew the tranny in practice had spare parts, he put them in and blew that tranny in the second heat , first lap. I was going to buy one in the next couple of weeks....no thanks. Can anyone point me in a better direction? looking for a kick a@? quad that is reliable. Maybe a hopped predator???Thanks.

etondaddy
06-11-2007, 08:42 AM
DRR, I've ran e-ton for five years and I'm buried in this one (but it's been great) but if I was just starting I would go DRR.

scott korody
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Same thing that we see here, they run good but cannot finish.We have a couple of excellent, well maintained race ready 90's that we are going to sell. 1 is a predator 90, and the other is a Hetrick Kasea, both are very reliable and in great conditon.

Rcarroll
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
I sent you a PM

ecmini1
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Guys, the same transmission that is in the Apex is in the polaris,Drr, eton. The apex have more pwr stock and handle better stock so there are rode a lot harder. It wont matter what model you buy (non big 4) with out modding the trans its going to break. We repair alot of transmissions no particular brand breaks more than the other.

TEXWS6
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Guys, the same transmission that is in the Apex is in the polaris,Drr, eton. The apex have more pwr stock and handle better stock so there are rode a lot harder. It wont matter what model you buy (non big 4) with out modding the trans its going to break. We repair alot of transmissions no particular brand breaks more than the other.

I agree, we have only DNF on one race, and it was my fault for not checking the chain, yet we have been finishing top 3 consistently.

You cannot buy a better quad for the price, plus the ones breaking down probably didn't have the upgrades like the 08's will have, which will eliminate ALOT of broken gears.

But when it comes down to it, 90% of the problems are due to the rider, i've seen kids bust trx90 trannies, my daughter has yet to bust her MXR90, and we haven't even put in the brass bushing yet!

miniquad
06-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I agree that the rider has alot to do with it. Even with the bushing mod you cant land with the gas on. All the cvt style bikes have basicaly the same components.Everything has a breaking point drr, apex , extreme, all have the same cases ,gears, beraings, and sproket set up they will all break equally put under the same conditions. We on this forum are striving to make these bikes better and more reliable if you have an Apex and dont atleast do the bushing mod you are definately sitting on a time bomb. Drr is the same I have a friend in the business I talk to on a regular basis and Drr is having the same problem. If you are going to spend time, effort, and money to go race why would you not do everything to prevent the possibility of breaking you trans the bushing mod cost less than two gear sets. Just my two cents.

STOCKRACING917
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
This is our first yr on the track but we have been pleased with the apex. We didn't get to finish at Virginia due to a broken axle, but so far so good. My husband made a tranny saver and put on it
when we got it, so that has helped us. We are learning along the way and all your posts are helping. As far as the apex we are running alot better than on our previous Eton. We constantly blew the motor on that baby.:ermm:

ecmini1
06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Here is a photo of of our riders. This apex is a 90cc with only the bushing mod. We will be adding the trans saver in the next week. they jumps like this over and over and have never broke a trans yet. We have raced 2 series fully and cant count how many practices on these minis since last Aug. Its how we teach them to ride. Again nothing is bullet proof we can only try to make it that way.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/bigworm3699/pratice%20dirtfarm%2005-07/dirtfarm06-10021.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/bigworm3699/praticedirtfarm004.jpg

drr wizard
06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
go with a DRX . we ran the Apex last year broke 3 sets of gears. we have been running a modded DRX this year its faster than the apex , my driver is more aggresive than last year and we have not broken any gears .
drr wizard

ecmini1
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Wizard, Your saying the drr has a better transmission?

TeamSimsRacing
06-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Like said earlier all of the minis with the exception of the Dinli has the exact same tranny set up. All brands have issues. The weak link is the transmission but attempts by Apex to make frame geometry more correct has put even more stress on the transmissions. When one finds ways to releive some of that added stress the tendency to break gears goes down.:cool: Every brand has their pros and cons, not one is perfect. We chose to race the Apex and we are happy with it. Knock on wood but we are still running the same gears that it came with, we remove and check them after every moto and certainly sooner or later they will fail, hopefully it's later than sooner!

ecmini1
06-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by glntamu90
I have the bushings but have not installed it/them. Anyone have detailed instructions with pictures?

Which bushing do you have? Old style or the new press in.

CreoRacing
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
It's funny how DRR lovers find the need to get on the Apex forum and downgrade Apex. I'm on the DRR forum and don't see Apex lovers downgrading DRR. My props go out to ecmini1, since if I got it right you formerly sold Apex (issues with owner), now DRR, and still are one of the only ones the tells it like it is, thank you for sticking up for Apex, because like you've said all the tranny are the same. Personally I think the Apex gets ridden harder by larger riders.
((I think some of DRR guys realize this but won't admit the Apex is more of a "race worthy" quad at this time))

Andyman17dad
06-13-2007, 06:13 AM
My son races a DRX90ltd and also an Apex 70. We are very happy with both!

drr wizard
06-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Wizard, Your saying the drr has a better transmission?

I am much happier with the reliability of my DRR , others experiences may vary. My trans gears could break tomorrow, but so far no problems, and I dont pull the trans down after every moto . I think the difference is in the case load I believe the Apex case tends to bind due to the load of the chassis at work this is where the DRR differs in my opinion. I am not bashing Apex I think they have alot of benefits but I dont have the time to replace the gears once a week or pull them and inspect after every moto , and I do believe that Apex will solve this issue some time in the future, but till then I am sticking with DRR.
drr wizard

markvette
06-13-2007, 08:51 AM
i agree with brad simms and others here. most the asian quads have the same gears. i have fixed trannies in every brand so far. when a rider gets agressive you better do everything you can to save them trannys. next thing on the agenda is breaking the cases which we have done 5 times on an eton.

Mark

jetski_dawg
06-13-2007, 08:28 PM
apex and drr share alot of the same problems (why i read this forum)and i think drr is playing catch-up with apex.. the reason i went with drr was the air cooled engine.. i seen a father go out and buy 3 brand new apex quads for his boys and 1 out of 3 would finish.. tranny breaks,coolant in the engine crank case, chains breaking..dont get me wrong , they gave em hell on the track and my daughter has a hard time keeping up with them on her drr.. but she would finish..i heard a saying the other day ..."the best rider is the one who has the most fun.." i seen my daughter in tears saying"dad please fix my quad" when her old quad broke down on the track and everyone was passing her.. so that is why i went with drr..reliablity

humboldt hills
08-22-2007, 08:38 AM
We have been racing drr's for 6 months now. We race harescrambles not mx. I am 100% satisfied with Drrs. Once we got the carb figured out anyways. My son won 2 different series on it this year. I am behind a little, because I just saw an Apex for the first time at the last race. They are some tricked out looking machines no doubt. It was the kids first race on it and he took 3rd. He will be racing the rest of the year on it, so I will have a better idea of what they can handle later.

But I can tell you this,
there are about 8 Drrs that race in the local series here in Southern Ohio and other than water getting in the carb, they have had no problems at all. They are always at the front of the pack.

mxmike17
08-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I think they are both junk.

I jumped my boys DRR over a big double and didnt make it. The bike broke in half. Then I road his Apex and was going only half throtle and bumped a tree with the front left wheel and broke it off.

Man these bikes stink up the place.

We are getting one of them Red Cats from Sams Club. Now those are the BOMB!:macho

dodgepower
08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Only one in our garage that runs is the pink BMX brand one:)

hotquads1
08-23-2007, 07:55 AM
hey mxmike dont get the one at sams club, Winn dixie got a new one out called the hockywockychicken 90cc , it's AWSOME !!
MARC

mxmike17
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I was looking at that one the other day. It was right past the hair care product. The only thing I didnt like is the horn was not loud enough.

I am torn between the Red Cat from Sams Club and that new Can-Am 90 cc from Pep boys.

Its a tough decision. I think I like the name Red Cat better.
It is e z r 2 spel

mxmike17
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I just made my mind up. I am getting this in stead.

http://www.baronbob.com/coolercroozer.jpg

dodgepower
08-23-2007, 10:08 AM
DUDE i am telling you cant have one unless i have one too.........We can make it a class at the races................

hey you bringing your hot rod saturday?

kenjolly
08-23-2007, 10:17 AM
http://extremetoysforboys.com/index.php3/item/item/Cooler%20Croozers%20-%20Motorized%20Cooler.html

they are not cheap, but who am i to put a price on fast and cold beer.

mxmike17
08-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by dodgepower
DUDE i am telling you cant have one unless i have one too.........We can make it a class at the races................

hey you bringing your hot rod saturday?

You better order yours then. Mine is on the way!

That sounds like a fun class. 6 laps, every time you cross the finish line you have to pull a beer out the cooler and put it down before making another lap. 2 moto format,lol

dodgepower
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
lol you got it...........

you havent seriously ordered yours have you?

are you gonna bring the zuk saturday?

mxmike17
08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
No zuki this weekend.

If the had a class inbetween beginer and pro I would run.

dodgepower
08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
they will if you show up..........maybe some of those others will run it if you do.

markvette
08-24-2007, 10:37 AM
mike there is a amateur class but no one signs up for it. there are a few in other classes that should be in amateur but either they are sand bagging or riding over their head in money