PDA

View Full Version : Bracket Racing......wanna help lol

firefighterjosh
06-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I am going to watch a buddy race at the drag strip. Since it is bracket racing I thought hell with it I am going to race my ranger too. Just for fun. But for the competitive person I am I want to win lol.

I have a 04 4.0 with 33s. AUTO!

I can start in the road with the brake all the way down and the gas all the way to the floor. Then dump the brake like a clutch with minimum wheel spin. Mainly just some chirrping. How bad do you think this is on my truck? Guessing not something I want to do all the time lol.

Also since its bracket racing I have to dial in. not sure what times I will be running but lets say I run a 17.2, 17.34 and 17.0. What should I dial in at? 17.1? or maybe just go with 17.0 since its my first time and no sence in getting DNFed?

When I watch it on TV I notice if the guy is ahead of the person next to them they let of the gas right before the finish line. why is that?

Quad18star
06-11-2007, 05:12 AM
If your truck is consistent like most newer vehicles are , you won't have to let off the gas .

Guys let off the gas because they're sandbagging . If both of you guys run the throttle to the floor , you should technically be photo finish at the line . If your opponent is behind you when you're getting to the line , that means you either hooked up really well and are gunna run below your dial- in so you let off the gas in order to not run below your dial in .... or it could mean he's sandbagging also. :p

As far as dumping the brake peddle like a clutch , there's no point really , you're just putting more stress on your motor for nothing . Just hold the brake so you don't roll , then tramp the gas when the light goes green .

If I were you and had a car that ran 17.2 , I'd run a 17.1 but just do as many passes as possible to see how the track is doing . Some tracks get great traction after it heats up and a lot of passes have been done , and some tracks just get really slick . I know when we had our drag car , we could easily gain 2 or 3 tenths of a second as the day progressed at some of the tracks we ran .

firefighterjosh
06-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks

I dont think I will have to worry about spinning too much. Only time I spin is on the black pavement on the roads. Other then that my ranger hooks up lol

06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
if its a good track there should be enough glue on the track that your tires will hardly break loose, if any at all...you should run pretty consistent, but alot of things can vary your times, elevation, heat, track temp, tires, etc... 17 is so slow in the world of drag racing, but itll still be fun. Will there be any fast cars there? 8-5 second cars?

Scott-300ex
06-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Good luck finding a 5 second car, 6's and up.

Brake to the floor, gas to the floor :eek: and your not moving!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Damn dude, I would only do that at the strip and thats risky.

In bracket you win if you get the most consistant, a 17.12 and a 17.10 would beat a 16.70 and a 16.90.

Run it like 3-5 times and pick a little below your average cuz if you run faster than your dial in you loose!

And a new truck with an auto will be very consistant as long as you use the same starting technique and hold her to the floor!

firefighterjosh
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I am only doing this for fun. My truck a DD. I though about racing the King quad lol.

Ya 17sec is slow. But its about consistansy. (sp?)

There might be a couple 8 or 9 sec cars. But most will prally run 11s - 13s

SGA
06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I wouldnt hold the gas and brake both to the floor on my DD, thats going to tear something up, maybe not then, but it will cause alot of wear and tear and probs down the road.
Just hold the brake enough to keep it from moving and when the light goes green drop the gas pedal. Its about consistancy in bracket racing.
Who cares if your car runs 14, 17 or 22 seconds, its bracket racing. The idea is to go down the track the same amount of time each race.
Heres some basics: http://www.asmartin.com/b_et.htm

firefighterjosh
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I have done it before. Nothing broke. Only for about 3 secs though.