PDA

View Full Version : airbox cover

realbeef
06-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey all im new to this forum, just thought id say hi. anyway I was wondering if running without the airbox cover is a bad idea, and second if I keep the cover and just drill a bunch of 1/16 size holes around the cover would that increase the intake? would the power be notacable and would that be a bad idea also if I drilled the holes, or should I just leave it as is and get a different air filter. I believe I have a white bros air filter. thanks

Rip_Tear
06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
it might help your throttle responce, it won't be any huge difference in power, it will let more air in of course, it may even require a carb adjustment to allow more gas in, depending on how close your jetting was before.

CarGuy7a
06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
i have an EHS racing airbox lid on mine. and i noticed quite a bit in throttle response. of course i had to go to a bigger pilot jet #40 for cold starting.

we went riding this weekend and we ran through mud and water splashes and the lid didn't have a speck of dirt on it. it had a little dust inside the box but nothing major.

realbeef
06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
well the thing is I already have a white bros jet kit so my throttle response is spot on. but if I remove the cover would there be and performance boost or would it just be a smoother running machine. Im kind of weary about modifiying my airbox but im sure it would be fine if I took it off. Just thought id let you know that I ride in sandy and grimy enviroments.

CarGuy7a
06-11-2007, 12:36 AM
what i did is i kept my stock lid and just ordered the complete set up from ehs racing $80. that way if the conditions got really soupy i can pop the stock lid back on. really the only thing on jetting i had to do was change the pilot. of course my main jet was just a bit rich so it was just right with the open lid.

yeah you'll notice a bit in performance. it'll pull harder from the bottom all the way to the top.

i used to be able to climb long hills in only second gear and now i'm hitting 3rd about 2/3's the way up.

check em out www.ehsracing.com

realbeef
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
ok thanks for the help. I will probably be placing an order very soon then, thanks everybody.

drag101
06-11-2007, 05:40 PM
what is the stock pilot size on the 400ex

AZSCTACO
06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by drag101
what is the stock pilot size on the 400ex