PDA

View Full Version : engine re-assembly Qs.

beobe99
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I bought a project off of a local guy and he allready assembled the bottom end minus the TQ'ing of the cases together. Let me know if this is normal.

-Holding the crank steady and wiggling the rod there is NO play up and down (like im sure there should be) but side to side there is SOME... normal??

-Holding/guiding the rod and turning the flywheel to get rotation I noticed on about the third rotation theres a CLICK from the bottom end.. (I realized I was turning it backwords so maybe its normal... didnt have the nerv at this point to turn it the other way haha!) am I fine... this would be the first time with me messing around with the bottom end... I do have a manual and havnt read into it on these possible issues yet..

what you think? anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks guys....

cdrookie
06-10-2007, 03:20 PM
some side to side play but no up and down play, so the crank sounds good. the "click" however isn't. is the crank bearings ok? it's not in gear is it? maybe you have a bad bearing or chipped gear tooth. i can't figure out why someone would go through the trouble of reassembling the cases but not take the 3 minutes to tighten the bolts?!

beobe99
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I kinda figured the side to side play was ok. as for the CLICK thats deff bugging me.. I guess I'll take it apart and take a look... I have a manual so it should hellp guide me.. IF it seems to get to overwhelming for me any ideas on who would/could check it all out local?.. Im in Phila. PA area and would rather not ship (shame cause a dealer I worked for over 2 years could do it all but it ended on bad terms :/

Originally posted by cdrookie
some side to side play but no up and down play, so the crank sounds good. the "click" however isn't. is the crank bearings ok? it's not in gear is it? maybe you have a bad bearing or chipped gear tooth. i can't figure out why someone would go through the trouble of reassembling the cases but not take the 3 minutes to tighten the bolts?!

cdrookie
06-10-2007, 05:23 PM
tony kellner is somewhat local, he was barry hawks old mechanic

or pm jlhughes750 on here

or east coast atv

Scott-300ex
06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Why would you think you would want play up and down, thats a hardcore bad thing, think wrapin out 11,000 and that crank slappin around in those mains. :eek:

beobe99
06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Never thought the "up-down" play was normal or ok.. the side to side is what didnt seem normal but am told by acouple people now its fine..

As for the CLICK.. I went out there today and stared at it again and started playing around..

When I turn the flywheel (the right way) The sprocket shaft turned also, AND the kickstart shaft coming out was turning also (it was turning about a half turn then "clicking" back into place...

Any help on this one... is it normal? I know with my kx125 i had an issue with the kicker getting stuck on the peg and I would get a crazy clicking untill I put it back up of course... Im GUESSING the kicker gears/shaft wernt put in correctly??

Sorry if im being a pain here guys, im hoping to not have to pull this sht apart myself (which I'll prob do if need be) and already got a guess-ta-mit from east coast atv on pricing for a reassembly and didn't like the sound of it.

Originally posted by Scott-300ex
Why would you think you would want play up and down, thats a hardcore bad thing, think wrapin out 11,000 and that crank slappin around in those mains. :eek: