PDA

View Full Version : Bent Stem AGAIN!

MotoRacer
10-19-2002, 05:42 AM
I rolled over my moto 440 2 weeks ago at the track...I didn't notice that anything was wrong at the time until i cleaned it the next day...the bottom of the place where u put the key in is slightly rubbing againist the top of the gas tank. I thought at first that just that area could be bent back up, but a buddy of mine came over last nite, and said that he thinks the stem is bent...If in fact my stem is bent, what are some good aftermarket ones to put on? I was looking at walsh because i want to put other walsh products on, but what is best? Is there anyway to fix the steering stem i have now with the SLIGHTEST bend in it? thanks for the help.

Moto

Guy400
10-19-2002, 06:25 AM
Moto, it was told to me that Arens makes the stock stems for the Moto. If it's not bent too bad you can remove it and take it to a machine shop and have it pressed straight. If you just want to replace it and you've got the money I'd go for the sweet Walsh stem:cool:

Pappy
10-19-2002, 07:22 AM
thats sucks man.....but atleast its easily fixed....any other damage?

RED121572
10-19-2002, 07:23 AM
Thats funny, I just replaced my steering stem yesterday. I went with a stocker. (67 bucks)

The cheapest aftermarket I found is one that Golden West Cycle offers. It runs about 210 clams. Jansen Racing offers a really nice one for 300 bucks. If ya got the money, I hear that Roll Design is the way to go.

Good luck!

racerx573
10-19-2002, 09:42 AM
I say just get another Moto stem. I'm pretty sure it's chromoly, like most aftermarket ones...

QuadTrix6
10-19-2002, 11:30 AM
that sux, goodluck finding a good price on a new one

MotoRacer
10-19-2002, 11:32 AM
everything else on the bike is perfect..nothing wrong at all..i just don't understand that it rolled over SOOOO slow, and i can't beleive that it would bend that easliy..i was just looking at it, and when i put the handlebars straight, the wheels are staight, so maybe its just the key area that is bent down. im going to try to bend that up before i go blowing a few hundred on a new stem.

Sick0
10-19-2002, 03:46 PM
i just park my quad up against some thing heavy and put a come-a-long on my stem and pull it back with that. It make pull the back of the quad up so I just sit on it. That should bent it back.

Tommy 17
10-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
i just park my quad up against some thing heavy and put a come-a-long on my stem and pull it back with that. It make pull the back of the quad up so I just sit on it. That should bent it back.

i'd be worried to do that... couldn't it mayb rip the part off that hold the top of the stem to the frame... i'd just order a new stem... if u can afford a moto440 u can afford a steerin stem...

Sick0
10-19-2002, 04:03 PM
No the bushing thats holds your stem is strong enoght for what I was doing. Yes i know this not the best way to fix the stem but it works,

Dave400ex
10-19-2002, 06:40 PM
If you get a New Stem go with the Walsh. I think Walsh is the best stuff made.

mrusk
10-20-2002, 07:57 AM
Dude the come along tip is some of the worse advice i have seen on here! I would not recommend doing it! Order a walsh stem. Then take your stock stem to a shop to have pressed. So then you can run your stock stem untill your walsh comes in which will be alot 2 months.

matt

Sick0
10-20-2002, 08:28 AM
I never said it was the best idea. I'm just saying thats what I did in a pinch. I was very careful not to bend it to hard or get crazy. It work for me and it may for otheres if there careful and a way to fix it in 5mins. You should see how I take off tires. You would really cringe. I usea forklift and a prybar.

mrusk
10-20-2002, 04:35 PM
LOL i never said it wouldnt work, i just said i wouldnt recommend it. I think its funny as **** though. I am sure we could make up a redneck repair manual!

matt

Sick0
10-20-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm a master at redneck repair. If something needs to be repair I will find some fuct up way to fix it.