PDA

View Full Version : Chain...from tight to loose

forgiven
06-09-2007, 06:53 PM
If the quad is just sitting it is tight...pretty snug...and when my son sits on it and compresses the suspension it is a little loose and when he is riding it is borderline too loose. If my big buttocks sits on it (200lbs) it is way too loose.

What is wrong and how do I correct it?

Thanks

forgiven
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Fully extended it is very tight...like when I have it sitting on a bucket on the frame.

When I compress the rear it gets more loose to a point.

I am using the stock shock as well. My tensioner doesn't appear like it is moving though.

drr wizard
06-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I have several DRR 's and they all have this chain travel issue , the stock chain with stock sprokets cannot be adjusted properly the chain is too tight , after it stretches a bit is good , Also a sproket change can achieve much needed slack, you want to adjust chain so that it has about 5/8 deflectionat its tightest point , then let tensioner adjust from there. remember your suspension will travel thru its complete range in a given ride ,If you run the chain to tight, when suspension travels it put stress on transmission (gears, bearings, etc). If in doubt a little loose is better than a little too tight . your tensioner should move by hand , it should be very firm and spring back when released.
drr wizard

forgiven
06-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the input...was thinking perhaps (didn't know what) I was doing something wrong. I do realize the tensioner is part of the problem and will be troubleshooting that this week. The only real "issue" I see is that I must tighten the chain too tightly to achieve proper adjustment while the rider is mounted. I then am concerned on jumps etc when the bike springs to the fully extended condition. It is what I consider a fairly serious issue so any thoughts/opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

drr wizard
06-11-2007, 07:14 AM
when bike is resting on ground there is about 1 inch of space from chain to pivot housing. the tensioner pushes the chain up towards the pivot housing. chain may appear to loose at this point but tensioner should keep it snug.
drr wizard

forgiven
06-11-2007, 07:31 AM
My tensioner is more of a stationary object and my belief is that it is the majority of the problem.