PDA

View Full Version : Idle Jet on a 400ex? location

302fox
06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey guys.. A buddy of mine just got a 400ex its a 2004 and it runs good but once u let off the throttle it dies ... Everyone is telling me its the Idle jet? What do you guys think? Were is this jett? I took the bottom of the fuel bowl off and saw what I think is the main jet because its a 165 and I know a idle jett is not that big haha.. Does anyone have a Illustration or diagram of the carb on a 400ex? Im doing this tonight ofr him and any help would be greatly appreciated

GPracer2500
06-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Might just be that the idle is set too low? There's a silver, knurled knob on the side (choke side, I think) of the carb for adjusting the idle speed rpm.

But anyway, the pilot jet (aka slow jet or idle jet) is accessed by removing the float bowl. It's right next to the main jet. Also, when tuning the pilot circuit don't neglect the fuel screw--it's part of the pilot ciruit.

302fox
06-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Might just be that the idle is set too low? There's a silver, knurled knob on the side (choke side, I think) of the carb for adjusting the idle speed rpm.

But anyway, the pilot jet (aka slow jet or idle jet) is accessed by removing the float bowl. It's right next to the main jet. Also, when tuning the pilot circuit don't neglect the fuel screw--it's part of the pilot ciruit.

Ok now I took off that nut at the bottom of the carb. I see the main jet I dont remember if I saw any other jet next to it.. Does it look the same for the most part? how do u get it out.. Everyone that i know that has a quad says the jet is prolly clogged.. the quad sat for 2 yrs on the same gas and it was pretty close to empty when we got it sooo Im just trying to clean everything

And also I had my 400ex next to it and I wanted to see which way to tunr the idle knob to idle it up.. i turned his a few turns very far from alll the way off .. soo i dunno.. everything is pointing to the slow jet, i heard its the size of a pin? is this true?

GPracer2500
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
You have to remove the whole float bowl--not just the main jet access cap--to get to the pilot jet. There are four philips head screws holding the float bowl on. USE THE RIGHT SIZE SCREW DRIVER. The screws are very soft and easy to mess up.

And yes, a clogged pilot circuit will make it not idle. The whole carb probably needs to be cleaned.

The pilot jet itself is similar in overall size to a main jet. It's orifice is very small though.

302fox
06-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
You have to remove the whole float bowl--not just the main jet access cap--to get to the pilot jet. There are four philips head screws holding the float bowl on. USE THE RIGHT SIZE SCREW DRIVER. The screws are very soft and easy to mess up.

And yes, a clogged pilot circuit will make it not idle. The whole carb probably needs to be cleaned.

The pilot jet itself is similar in overall size to a main jet. It's orifice is very small though.

Thank you