PDA

View Full Version : popping wont go away!!!!!

mr.sleeper
06-09-2007, 03:46 PM
i have a 04 450 and i cant get the popping to go away i know that they pop when there lean but i have tried jeting like a madman and nutin works form lean to fat but it pops and the plug burns with a tan and a little brown. the bike just got new rings head valves cyclinder and all i need help im stuck and my bike sounds terrible zand i need to fix it

JW450R1
06-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Who did the motor work.Is the timming correct.Maybe try a compression test,valve leakdown test,to see if the valves are correct....

eastside 400
06-09-2007, 06:29 PM
did u adjust the air/fuel screw at all, i had that problem last year and then a played around with that for a while and got it fixed

d3ktrix
06-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Tell us ur jetting, esp pilot and A/F screw setting.

When is it popping, while ur on the gas or decelerating?

watts16
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Make sure your header bolts are tight. I couldnt fihure out why mine was running like crap and the bolts were finger loose.

mr.sleeper
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
the motor was done by a local honda shop the valves were all new and the jetting of right now is a pilot 45 main 205 and needle 2nd clip from the top and the air fuel at 2 and a half OUT it pops when i rev it up and let it idle back down then it pops when u go down a hill and let of then when u just let off period also i have a rev box on it to if that would make a difference the plug still looks good but i know that should be really fat but it burns right its just annoying...

LTR450_#67
06-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I would have to agree with watts16, check the header fitting and also where it would connect to the silencer...

I still would check the valves too...

mr.sleeper
06-10-2007, 01:56 PM
i tighend up where it slips on then the header is tight but it is still there it pops and its smoking but when i lean it out it dont smoke so ni think its to fat now. where should the conpression be on a stock piston...

d3ktrix
06-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm guessing that you have a pipe and no air box lid?

If so your main jet is WAY too rich, that is why u are smoking.

Put a 185MJ in and start from there with that.

Also, for an 04 a 45 pilot is WAY too small, thats why you are popping on decel. Stock is 48 and if u have a pipe you should put a 50 in there.

Changing the pilot to a 50 and 2.5 turns out on the A/F screw will get rid of ur popping.

Also 2nd notch from the top is too lean for the needle, if its a stock needle move it to like the 3rd or 4th notch.
If its the HRC needle put it in the middle notch.

So right now you have both your low and mid range running lean, which is why u are popping.

400exrider707
06-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I'm guessing that you have a pipe and no air box lid?

If so your main jet is WAY too rich, that is why u are smoking.

Put a 185MJ in and start from there with that.

Also, for an 04 a 45 pilot is WAY too small, thats why you are popping on decel. Stock is 48 and if u have a pipe you should put a 50 in there.

Changing the pilot to a 50 and 2.5 turns out on the A/F screw will get rid of ur popping.

Also 2nd notch from the top is too lean for the needle, if its a stock needle move it to like the 3rd or 4th notch.
If its the HRC needle put it in the middle notch.

So right now you have both your low and mid range running lean, which is why u are popping.

Yes these are way closer, the jetting you are running now, I hope is a mistype.

Assuming you have a pipe and filter with no lid and no other mods I would be running a 175 main 50 pilot, needle in the 4th clip down (3rd cilp down is the middle btw d3ktrix) and 2 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw from fully seated.

Elduner
06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
45 pilot is way to small like they have mentioned. I was running a 48 pilot with no troubles with Full DASA pipe and DASA filter with no air box and a couple of other odds and ends... My jetting was dailed in 13.5a/f..... I would try a 48 and if that dont help maybe a 50.... but Im willing to bet that your problem is there if not a exhaust leak causing some major lean conditions.

Good luck.