PDA

View Full Version : Dumb rebuilding questions

400exrules
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
My 400 is a 99 and it has a stage 2 hotcam in it that i put in and broke in a few months ago and i just got it bored and im installing a JE 11:1 416 piston, HD cam chain, new gaskets, and new valve seals.

Ive got a few questions that im kinda cautious about. My engines all apart now and im ready to put it together. Of course there is some expected carbon on the stock piston and my valves are dirty.

1) How and what should i use to clean my valves?
2) Should i use any thread locker on cylinder bolts/head bolts?
3) Is it ok if i get everything put back together and then change the oil before starting it up? Im concerned about everything being dry when i first start it up, and not having oil on it (piston, cylinder wall, camshaft, etc.) i dont want anything to get damaged

thanks!

Sparky_20
06-08-2007, 09:53 PM
I would use a generous amount of assembly lube on every metal to metal contact in the engine. A dry start = premature wear. As far as thread locker, I wouldnt. Just torque the bolts down. Did you get hd head studs too? It might be a good idea before you re-assemble.

440exnacsracer
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
1) a wire brush and mineral spirits work great
2) do not use thread lock on any of the bolts, put a dab of oil on the threads of all the studs and bolts,...this will ensure proper torquing of everything
3) assymbly lube is great, but if you dont have any, just use new engine oil, just make sure it is not a moly base oil, or synthetic

and yes, it will be fine to change the oil after assymbly, i would not reccomend using sythetic oil though. your rings will seat better with regular oil as the lubricative properties of sythetics can be to high

400exrules
06-12-2007, 08:14 AM
should i put assembly lube on the cylinder walls?

400exrider707
06-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
should i put assembly lube on the cylinder walls?

No just regular plain jane oil.

JW450R1
06-13-2007, 05:45 AM
U may want to pop out the valves and make sure there not burnt and it doesn't need a valve job.Maybe even replaced the valve seals while it's all apart