PDA

View Full Version : How powerful is it?

ish416
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
How much power does this quad really have?

I have seen dyno sheets but that doesn't mean anything without another quad on the same dyno.

Can it holeshot the other 450s?

How does the engine compare to a Honda 450R?

My current ride is a '99 400EX, 416 12.5:1 piston, XR400 Cam, K&N filter, No Airbox Lid, Hinson Billet Clutch Basket, Works Shocks, FMF Powercore 4 slip on, Factory Header, Ported Head, 15/38 Gearing.

Is the KFX450 going to accelerate noticeably faster then my EX?

I am wanting to buy a new quad by the 22 of this month. The KFX450 is currently my number 1 choice. I ride aggressively, mx, and woods with the occasional field riding.

Just not sure what to think of these, hear good things and bad things. I would like to know from the people that actually have one or have experience on one. I am more interested in the power they have as I think the handling will be excellent.

Thanks, I know thats alot of questions but I just would hate to spend $7500 and it end up being the same thing that I already have.

QUADROOKIE
06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
At both of our XC races so far this year, in the stock class, the first 2-3 in the holeshot has been the new Kawies easily, one was me taking it the last race. This quad will accelerate as fast or faster than the other 450's but will lose in a flat out drag race due to the gearing stock. This thing is awesome all around for any type of riding IMO. I would not trade it for anything.

Screven_Rida
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
I think you will notice a big difference in accel. over your Ex. I have seen a 400ex w/ mods the same as yours get beat by a KFX 450 in an 1/8th mile drag race.

ish416
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Screven_Rida
I think you will notice a big difference in accel. over your Ex. I have seen a 400ex w/ mods the same as yours get beat by a KFX 450 in an 1/8th mile drag race.

My EX ran 7.9 @ 72mph in the 1/8th at at the Muncie Drag strip. (http://www.munciedrag.com/) It is a bit quicker than what most people give it credit, it will hang with 700 Raptors till 4th gear after that its not really a race.

I was thinking I would notice a difference when I rode two 07 Honda 450R's that it would just be totally different, fact is the two stock Honda 450R's I rode are the most disappointing machines I have ever rode, with regards to the engine. There was just a complete lack of power at all RPM. It felt like riding a stock 300EX with just a slight power boost on the top end of the rev range. I think it might have been just these two. Everyone I talk to that has one says they rip, and I have seen some modified ones that were definitely not weak.

I just don't want to spend all that money on something that won't impress me. I guess thats why there is an aftermarket. So how do these do with the basics? Full exhaust, intake, Power Commander? Also, what is the compression ratio?

Thanks

QUADROOKIE
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
12:1 Don't know about modded cuz I race stock class, but I am sure they will really come alive once modded. You will not be disappointed.

mod440ex
06-08-2007, 08:08 PM
i had a honda 400 ex with a wiseco 12.5:1 440 kit, stage 3 hot cams, edelbrock carb, kn, full hmf sport, nology coil enhancer, race gas. the kfx in stock form would smoke this thing, the power is great for trail and hill, i dont know about mx. i have an hmf slip on and doebock efi controller and now theres even more low end grunt. this is a great quad and i love my reverse. i practially gave my 440 away so i could get one, and i am not at all dissapointed

nicker71
06-10-2007, 02:20 PM
My brothers KFX450R is fully stock and he has raced 700R, yfz, suzuki 450's, and he has always pulled the holeshot easily. I want one, but may wait to see how the new Can am and KTM's turn out.

oldskoolex400
06-10-2007, 03:16 PM
wait and get the ktm or cam am

Ceipherz
06-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Quit being a Puss and buy it.

That is all.

ish416
06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I probably should wait for the Can-Am, but I just can't hold out any longer. I have to have a new quad and I think this is it. I will just have to look to the aftermarket to make this machine what I want it to be.

I hope there is about 10 Horsepower in that engine just ready to be free'd up.

Vade
06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ish416
I probably should wait for the Can-Am, but I just can't hold out any longer. I have to have a new quad and I think this is it. I will just have to look to the aftermarket to make this machine what I want it to be.

I hope there is about 10 Horsepower in that engine just ready to be free'd up.

Good luck with that its gonna cost u

450R_lover
06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I recently raced and rode a brand new stock kfx with the mods in my sig. No comparison what so ever. 10 quad lengths at least. I know i have about 1200 in engine mods, but i mean with all the new technology out... it should have done better. I was still impressed with it though, when i rode it. it's got good mid range for a stock quad. and off the line on pavement, he stayed with me kinda untill i hit second gear, then i was gone. If i were buying another quad just to keep it stock, i'd probably get the kfx. I dont know what it will do when modded yet, but we'll have to wait and see.

450R_lover
06-11-2007, 04:23 PM
oh, a couple things i didnt like about the kfx though was that it vibrates alot... mostly in the bars. And the seat is rock solid but that doesnt really bother me because if your racing you dont think about that kind of stuff. Just dont plop down on it real hard or else the ole' family jewels will get a mean wake up call! i know because mine did. haha :p

mod440ex
06-11-2007, 10:02 PM
the kfx isnt really geared for straight line drag racing, its for shootin through the woods, and how often do you get in fifth going through the woods. i guarentee it would have been alot closer in the woods.

450R_lover
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
i get into 5th gear pinned behind my house in the woods. I know it doesnt happen very often but it happens, so what if the trails were tight and twisty and the kfx stayed with me, then there is an open straight. What happens then? im not being an ***, im just saying that its going to need some work done to it to stay with a modified anything on any staight line.

mod440ex
06-12-2007, 04:41 PM
well antything stock will need some work before it will stay with anything modified, being it is a comparible machine in stock form. i bet when your 450r was stock it wouldnt keep up with a yfz that was modded.

450R_lover
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
true....

red n blk supra
06-13-2007, 09:40 PM
How can you compare an modded quad vs a non-moded quad ? From what I hear its still the fastest out of all the 450's stock .

mod440ex
06-14-2007, 07:14 AM
i dont believe it is the fastest in totally stock form, maybe if you change some sprockets. its a great quad for woods and tight tracks. if you were to take it to the dunes or drag race the bike then you will want to change the sprockets. its just not really a fare statement to say one bike with alot or little mods is som much faster than a stock quad.

450R_lover
06-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Ok... i wasnt really comparing my quad with a stock kfx. All i was doing was informing you guys how fast it is and giving you an estimate of how fast it is. I raced one, sorry my quad isnt stock and i HAD to compare it to a modified one. Just giving some reference. Then, Mod440ex said that the kfx isnt for going in a straight line which is true, but what is except full out drag quads? then he made the statement that it would have been closer in the woods, which might be true... so i was just saying that if it opened up at all in the woods, with MY quad he would be in the dust. I raced him with my modded bike, let you guys in on some info just so you can say... hmm... a 450r with these mods beats a stock kfx by this much. I wasnt putting it down or anything.

If you think its the fastest stock quad out of all the 450s... ok. thats fine. I'll let you guys know here in a little while when my buddy races a stock one with his stock 450r.

No hard feelings, just explaining.

later :macho

mod440ex
06-14-2007, 08:50 PM
dont forget to tell them to race in the woods:D