PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cube 498

USMC1STSGT
06-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the advice on getting my quad up to date. In typical fashion I decided to go big with my mods! I only get to go to Oregon about once a year, usually, and I havent been there in 3 years so I want to make sure my bike is perfect for this trip.

I decided to go with the "Ice Cube" big bore kit (498), so I spoke to Will over at Maxpower today. He recommended I send in my head for porting at the same time. Sounds good to me. He was very helpful and spent a lot of time with me on the phone explaining everything to me. Great customer service so far. The only question I have in my mind is which compression ratio to go with. 12.3:1 for pump or 13.4:1 for 50/50. Heres how my bike will be set up when its done....

498 with porting. HRC Cam. DRD full exhaust.

HERES MY QUESTIONS.....I have a stock rev box, I hear that the dyna FS is the way to go, do you recommend I get it?

AND SECOND.....can I get some advice on the compression ratios?

LASTLY....I am running sand skate II's, are they good enough for this much power?

At the same time I am getting my head ported I will be sending my stock shocks in for a re-valve, so that should get me where I want to be for this trip:cool:

thanks, Gary

whiteboycustom
06-08-2007, 07:10 AM
wow she should be a screamer with that kit, call them back and ask them about a crank upgrade, dont want to get that kit and more compression and your crank bearings go out,also go with the 13:1 compression and run race gas, with how much u actually ride the higher price wont affect u, and u should look into a new cam, i talked to the owner of a engine shop out of florida and he told me the hotcam stg 2 would be best overall, he told me with the work he will do to my 05 motor it will be in the mid 50's for hp, pm me for details, but that will be a good strong motor, and for exhaust i think a dasa or rossier will get u more power thats just my 2 cents...... as far as cdi i know with more cc's and power u might want more rpm's the best bet would see what maxpower recomends.... and tires well they will work but not as good as a set of skat trac or paddle brats,over on trx450 .org theres some nice sand tires for sale for a nice price go pick them up

good luck with the build any questions pm me

Big Red Menace
06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Semper Fi, spent 5 years at the stumps myself with 3/11. 1989-1994

Any way you'll love your Ice cube set up, Will and the guys at max power have been great to deal with.

I prefer the race gas set up. For as much as you ride just stock up for your trip and enjoy the extra power the compression adds. I also have their head porting, very high quality. Hrc cam is ok, I like the stg 2 or 3 better though. Sand skates are ok, but you didn't mention if you drag alot or if you're a play rider. I'm a play rider and dune jumper and like my ITP sand stars which are very similar to your sand skates. Cdi box wise I'm not so sure.

Enjoy

Benjithx
06-10-2007, 01:07 PM
HRC cam will be fine.
Get a Rossier Exhaust, you will love it

As for compression- I run 12.5:1 on pump gas. I don't think the power gain is worth having to run Race at 13:1

brif
06-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Go with the 13.5:1 comp. The hrc cam will be fine. I have run 2 different 500 set-ups. Both a 12:1 and a 13.5:1. The 13.5: 1 is the way to go. On my set-up the hrc cam made more power than the stage 3. I think big red menaces cam comments are based off the 06 bike of his. On a 04 I'd stick with the hrc over the stage 3. On a 06, I'd agree with BR Menace.