PDA

View Full Version : get a banshee or not

zje400ex
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
i have a 2005 400ex and kinda want to buy a banshee. i do some trail riding and ride on a track alot. is it a good idea to switch? i wanna know what you guys have to say about the banshees.
how often does it need rebuilt, what good mods, and other stuff.

400exrider989
06-07-2007, 10:41 PM
well... it screams
looks the best and sounds the best... and is the fastest
nuf' said

i ride my banshee in trails it does good but not best but as long as its not mud bogging then there are great
for track if you are a serious rider looking to go big then only get a banshee if your SUPER fit and have alot of practice time since they are hard to keep in the power band on track and you need to be fit its unbelieveable how much it would wear you out since stock suspension sucks so if you get a banshee it would atleast need +2 a arms, great tires for your turrain, pipes like paul turner mids, better carbs or carb (i would get a single carb set up) +4 advanced timing plate, V force 3 reeds skid plates (atleast a belly skid)
its alot of work MXing a banshee i mean it takes more practice than money and more stamina then a swimmer lol

well good luck and choose right always keep in mind what terrain you ride

Mike

sledneck1212
06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
First of all, as it was just pointed out, you need to do a lot to a banshee to make it track worthy....it's over rated and out dated....as for being the fastest...lol...and sounding the best....lol......Let me know how my 07 yfz with my HMF sounds as i wheelie by you.....they aren't the fastest and they sound like a weed whacker....... just my opinion though......But seriously i had an 05 400ex and it was great at first then i rode a few 450's can't even compare.....the 07 yfz450 is the most track ready machine out of the box......seriously think about if you will like feeding that dumb 2 stroke oil everytime you go riding.....Why do you think yamaha stopped making them.....

400exrider989
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
^ ha yeah ok 07 yfz with a pipe wooohooo

bansheerider4
06-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Why do you think yamaha stopped making them.....

im guessing it had something to do with the enviorment not having to mix the gas:rolleyes:

400exrider989
06-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bansheerider4
im guessing it had something to do with the enviorment not having to mix the gas:rolleyes:

because some 2-strokes had alot of smoke from heavy mixes and people (tree huggers) thought it was more pollutive than 4-strokes but is actually just as pollutive or more if they run rich

firefighterjosh
06-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I owned a banshee. Loved it. Race XC and practiced MX. It was awesome passing ppl in the straits. But I switched to 4 stroke and it is so much easier to go fast. My lap times are alot better. I am always around the top ten. With the banshee I was always around the top 20.:o

IMO , if your going to race stick with the 400.

Rebuild depend on the kinda of engine. My stocker lasted 1 year. My vitos piston lasted 3 years and is still runnig today. ( I sold it 3 months ago)

sledneck1212
06-10-2007, 08:20 PM
400exrider989.................So i guess we can thank people (tree huggers) for yamaha not making the banshee anymore.....I thought i saw a "Down with Banshees" sign in the woods...... hahahah

and yeah all you need on a yfz is a pipe and nefs and you're ready to race, a banshee you have to overhaul the whole damn thing..........hmmmm tough choice

06-10-2007, 09:33 PM
alot of people hate banshees...but then again i would too if i spent 7K on a junk 450s and then got blown away by a banshee from the 80s that you can pick up for 1300-2K

400exrider989
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
^ wha wha wha what he said

sledneck1212
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Apparently this person has a re re re reading disability.....The banshee is no comparison to any 450 for that matter. Yeah, you need to put an extra 6K in a banshee anyway to perform decent. So yeah i guess all decent perfromance come in at around 7K j j j j j junior.........

Ceipherz
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
If your tracking it often stay away from a Banshee. Chassis wise they are not good for alot of track use. They can be decent in the woods, but it takes a certain type of rider to want to put up with the extra effort it takes to ride it fast and not be completly drained of energy by days end.

And sledneck...we all know Banshee's are outdated...we dont need your constant put downs about them.

But I have yet to see a 450 defeat a Banshee in a fair race. By fair race I mean Stock for Stock, or mod for mod, with someone that knows how to ride one and being done on pavement, as we all know how well Banshee's hook in the dirt... :ermm:

Other than straight line performance however, Banshee's have nothing on the new quads...