PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Bad

bhump84
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought my 400EX with the suspension already set up on it and am new to the atv community. Here's my situation. The bolt from the lower a-arm (laegar's) that connects to the spindle. ( I guess that is what its called.) is loose. I have tried tightening the nut down but I get to a certain point and the bolt and nut both just spin the bolt is too loose for me to ride I am afraid I am going to make an expensive mistake by riding on it like this. Is there anyway for me to tighten this bolt up the most recent idea I had was to put vise grips on top of the bolt and hold it in place while I tightened the nut but I dont want to screw up my threads so I was hoping to get some help from you guys before I really mess anything up. Thanks in advance. if Im not clear onmy problem area just let me know and I will try to be more descriptive.

zje400ex
06-07-2007, 10:12 PM
call the dealer i guess...they will give good help

440exnacsracer
06-08-2007, 01:33 AM
sounds like your ball joint is toast. there should be two indentions on the "bolt" part of the ball joint that goes into the spindle to get a wrench on, but im not positive on a laegers arm

ZSK
06-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Sounds like the spindle taper isn't fitting against the balljoint taper yet. Try putting a washer or two under the nut on the balljoint and tighten again. You could also take a hammer and give the balljoint a smack to seat it in the taper. Holding the threads with vice grips won't chew it up too bad if you just clamp and hold instead of repositioning all the time. When you take the nut back off it'll clean the threads.

parkers30
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
washers should work just fine.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
It's a tapered fit, you need to get the bolt it fit into the spindle completely, I rememember how much of a pain in the *** it was to get mine in.