PDA

View Full Version : Am I Totally Screwed??

ShiftFMX
06-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Well, Today I was out riding and there was alot of water around. My buddy says, "Go threw that one" I said u first, so he did. Then I did, little did I know he dug all kinds of ruts in the bottom. It stalled and we pulled it out of the water.

I can now STAND on the kick stand!! First thing I thought was my crank bearing went, but there was no shavings in my filter.

What do I need to do??

TRX450RACER174
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
So are you saying you sucked up water? pull the plug out and try to kick it.

ShiftFMX
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I almost positive it did, My airbox was 70% full of water and when we stood the quad up, water poured out of my pipe

450R_lover
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
if you sucked up water your oil in your sight glass will look whitish. What you will have to do is change the oil like 10 times to get all the water out. I would do what trx450racer said and take the plug out and try kicking it over. there could be alot of pressure in there with all the water.

TRX450RACER174
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Then pull out the plug to relieve the pressure in the cyl and kick it over slow to see if you can expell the water out of the spark plug hole, after that i would spray some Wd40 in the cyl and change the oil hopefully you didn't damage the valves, replace the plug and see if it will fire.

TRX450RACER174
06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 450R_lover
if you sucked up water your oil in your sight glass will look whitish.

Yes but only if it ran like that, it sound like you sucked up water in the cyl and then it killed the bike, water/cyl don't mix water can damage alot of things in a motor hopefully you are lucky.

ShiftFMX
06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
You guys, I thought I was totally Screwed...hopefully u guys are right. I'll go go buy a few gallons of oil tomorrow and a new damn iridium $17 spark plug :mad:

Hopefully I will still be goin to the dunes in a few weeks!

Flyin-Low
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Spark plug will be fine, don't even worry about that.

Don't make the same mistake I did by not changing the oil enough times before running it.

When I dunked my 400ex I only changed the oil like 3 times and then took it out for a ride, it ran for like an hour before there was a giant cloud of blue smoke behind me. Ended up about 1400 CDN in the hole :eek2:

-Martin

Prey
06-08-2007, 08:51 AM
if you filled the cylinder with water, it wont compress and will stop the piston dead. if this is what happened and i have seen it happen before, you need to get the water out of their asap before it starts corroding stuff

you need to pull the plug and get the water out of the cylinder as soon as you can, then worry about changing the oil, and you should only have to change the oil once, that is usually enough, recheck after the oil change and a little running to make sure its not milky and you will be good to go

gbcap
06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Prey
if you filled the cylinder with water, it wont compress and will stop the piston dead. if this is what happened and i have seen it happen before, you need to get the water out of their asap before it starts corroding stuff

you need to pull the plug and get the water out of the cylinder as soon as you can, then worry about changing the oil, and you should only have to change the oil once, that is usually enough, recheck after the oil change and a little running to make sure its not milky and you will be good to go

.you need to change the oil alot more then 1 time

pull the plug and releas the pressure in the cylinder. it is hydro locked. after you did this slowly kick over several times with the kill switch off.

drain all the oil, both sides. fill back up. kick over several times and drain again. fill both sides with kerosene. kick over several times. fill back up with oil, kick several times. drain. fill with oil and start bike. let it warm up and drain. keep doing that till it is no longer milky in color. change the filer after it is no longer milky. and if you have an extra change it before you start the bike up for the first time.

there is no reason to not change the oil enough times. i would rather spend 50 bucks in oil kero and filters then 1500 in building a new motor

Coolidge
06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Diesel fuel may also help to 'flush' the engine out.
Good luck!

Prey
06-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
.you need to change the oil alot more then 1 time

pull the plug and releas the pressure in the cylinder. it is hydro locked. after you did this slowly kick over several times with the kill switch off.

drain all the oil, both sides. fill back up. kick over several times and drain again. fill both sides with kerosene. kick over several times. fill back up with oil, kick several times. drain. fill with oil and start bike. let it warm up and drain. keep doing that till it is no longer milky in color. change the filer after it is no longer milky. and if you have an extra change it before you start the bike up for the first time.

there is no reason to not change the oil enough times. i would rather spend 50 bucks in oil kero and filters then 1500 in building a new motor

i believe what i said was you should only have to change it once, then check to see if its milky...

ummmm guy, if he changes the oil once, its not milky.... ummm what does that mean .... right there is no water in it.... i have also walked this path more times than i care to think about

ShiftFMX
06-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Well Guys, The r is back in running order. I Flushed a total of 10 quarts through the motor. When I first pulled the drain, about a 2-3 cups of pure water came out then white milky oil. First I just left the drain open and poured oil in and let it run thru, then I would pour oil in and the kick it and watch it force out more nasty oil. Then I started changing it like normal probably about 5 times, and now its cleaner than I have ever seen my oil. After riding it for about 15 mins, my sight glass still had clean crisp looking oil in it! Usually it gets darker right away. I also cleaned out the carb and now I think it runs better than before! :p

Thanks for your help guys. I am gonna go pick up more good oil Monday and ride for an hour or so then change it again.

TRX450RACER174
06-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Glad to hear everything turned out ok.:D