PDA

View Full Version : sparks timing kit/ won't start

peej07
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I installed the curtis sparks timing kit today and after I buttoned it all back up it won't start. The other strang thing is that the starter continues to run for a few seconds after i release the starter button. Anyone out there that has installed one of these have any advice? Thanks

GPracer2500
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Does the crank actually spin when you hit the start button or does the starter just spin by itself? Are you getting spark at the plug?

The fact that the starter is behaving abnormally makes me wonder if somewhere between the idle gear, reduction gear, and driven gear the teeth aren't meshing up properly. Just guessing.

peej07
06-07-2007, 05:31 PM
If i pull the starter cover off and hold the gear in place the starter works normally. It did start once and seemed to run fine but hasn't started again. I was a simple procedure but I must be missing something simple, or I'm just simple. Either way I've got a dead 400 and a race quickly aproaching.:mad:

hornetgod13
06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I installed the same key on my quad several months ago. I've never had any problems. Did you install the key in the groove correctly? There is a right and wrong way. Did you remove part of the starter when you pulled the left crank case cover? Did you hook all the wires back up correctly?

peej07
06-09-2007, 10:55 AM
As strange as this may sound I think the fly wheel was too tight. I backed the fly wheel bolt off about 1/8 of a turn and all seems to be ok.:huh

hornetgod13
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Perhaps you didn't put the starter gear and spacer back on correctly (backwards). That's why I asked if you removed part of the starter with the left crack case cover (That's what I did).

rosen32
06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
To those of you that have installed this key, do you notice an improvement? I ordered one last week and am curious what to expect.
Cory

almostred434
06-13-2007, 01:07 AM
yeah im with rosen 32 on this one too
i was wondering how much of an improvement it would make for 20 bux

EX LONERIDER
06-13-2007, 06:12 AM
key makes a big diffrence. best 20 bucks you can spend on a stock bike. when i did mine i noticed a big diffrence right off idle. fires right off alot easier too.

sounds like you may wanna go back and adjust the flywheel bolt to whatever spec is.... might have backed off on its own and is just spinning freely in there. might explain all the symptoms you are having.