PDA

View Full Version : 01 660.. Showing signs of tranny failure?

Robin Hood
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, after 6 long years I think the rappy is finally throwing in the towel. In my last ride, I could barely get into second gear. With the clutch fully engaged and even when I would throw my entire weight into shifting up from second, it wouldn't catch.

Is this the beginning stages of the tranny going?

BTW this would only happen from 1st going to 2nd gear. Every other gear was fine.

It has a fresh oil change in it, but the clutch hasn't been replaced. I also don't want to blow 100$ on clutch plates only to have the transmission blow up and tear through the engine the day after. :(

Any input would be appreciated guys.

redrocker
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
When mine broke it locked up
and snapped the chain
run it till it breaks

Robin Hood
06-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I took a trip out to the shed yesterday and tried rocking it from N to 2nd and still nothing. It's like trying to go up from 5th gear to an imaginary 6th.. Just can't do it. :(

Robin Hood
10-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Anybody have any info on what to do? I'm sure it needs to be replaced, I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to buy it and install myself or at a shop around here or send the engine into raptortranny.

All feedback is welcome.

Layinbodyon20s
10-11-2007, 06:08 PM
It sounds like the shift forks or the shift shaft is bent. You will have to split the cases to find out and fix it. But it's definately worth doing if that's the only thing wrong with it.

Rptr660rkills
10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
well if the bike shifts into other gears its not the forks, the second gear is shot. i own a 2002, an in that year they made second gear stronger. it is worth the fix, jus buy a new 50 dollar 2002 an up second gear of a website, they aren't hard to find, an they are cheaper than 50. later

250r4life
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by redrocker

run it till it breaks

i love people who give STUPID advice!

Rptr660rkills
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
yeh you should def. run it until it breaks, then run your engine without any oil until it blows up lol. wow, instead of fixing the problem now, cause another one by "running it until it breaks", then he will be stranded somewhere with a messed up 2nd gear and a possible brokin casing. and also it is not hard to do. go to www.raptortranny.com for an free online installation guide. i used that site for my starter clutch installation. peace

Robin Hood
10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Rptr660rkills
yeh you should def. run it until it breaks, then run your engine without any oil until it blows up lol. wow, instead of fixing the problem now, cause another one by "running it until it breaks", then he will be stranded somewhere with a messed up 2nd gear and a possible brokin casing. and also it is not hard to do. go to www.raptortranny.com for an free online installation guide. i used that site for my starter clutch installation. peace

Ditto on the starter clutch. I have the bike stripped down to the frame atm. I'm going to set up a little surgeon station in my shed and have some buddies help me pull the engine out. I'll look around for an 02 tranny but I want everything to match up perfectly, so I'm not sure if just slapping an 02 2nd gear in would be OK.

Thanks for the support guys. I love my new LTR but I miss the rappy a lot. She doesn't deserve to sit this long. :(

Rptr660rkills
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
no it will be fine, all the years of the raptor 660 are EXACTLY the same, and an 02' second gear will work as new, because the only dif. is the fact that the 02' is stronger than the 01'.