PDA

View Full Version : low oil after change?

zje400ex
06-07-2007, 07:57 AM
i changed my oil but the level was low. the dealer said the 400ex takes 1.85 quarts. i put a full 2 in and its still alittle low.

Dill
06-07-2007, 08:11 AM
mine takes 2.25 despite what the manual says.

dariusld
06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Mine is like that too. Are you following the manual when checking the oil?

81 clark racing
06-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Dill
mine takes 2.25 despite what the manual says.

same here

gncc025
06-07-2007, 09:38 AM
mine takes right at 2 qt. try letting ur bike warm up a liitle then check it.

400exrider707
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Warm the bike up then check it. If you check it while it's cool, it will register low. Over filling can be disastrous.

Dill
06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
mine checks full with 2.25 quarts after riding it for several hours straight http://silverlakesandduners.com/forums/Smileys/phpbb/102.gif

redexridr002
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Same here just ride her
i checked with a dealer they said warm it up and check it just dont over fill it

1965 honda
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
warm it up 4 5 min shut it off let it sit for 1 min than check. my manual says 1.95 i put in two and its perfect iwas putting in alittle more but than my rings blew. so DONT over fill.

GPracer2500
06-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Dry sump engines are particular about the oil check procedure. On the 400EX the correct procedure is to let the bike idle for several minutes (more if it's cold out). Idle is the key word there--riding it or reving the engine may skew the reading. By letting it idle for a period you're giving the oil pump a chance to normalize the oil level in the crankcase. The excess oil is fed to the oil tank where the level is actually measured. I cold engine may read very low and a recently reved engine might read a bit high.

ETA: 1965 Honda beat be to it--he nailed the correct check procedure.

CarGuy7a
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
here's how i do mine. i warm the engine up and ride it a little before changing the oil. i'll drain the oil tank and the engine. put the oil plugs back in. then i'll put my new oil filter in.

then i'll fill the oil tank up to the full mark on the dipstick. fire the engine up for about 5 or 6 seconds then shut it off. then i'll refill the oil tank again up to the full mark on the dipstick.

you're ready to go.

yeah it takes about anywhere from 2 - 2 3/4 quarts

1965 honda
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
here's how i do mine. i warm the engine up and ride it a little before changing the oil. i'll drain the oil tank and the engine. put the oil plugs back in. then i'll put my new oil filter in.

then i'll fill the oil tank up to the full mark on the dipstick. fire the engine up for about 5 or 6 seconds then shut it off. then i'll refill the oil tank again up to the full mark on the dipstick.

you're ready to go.

yeah it takes about anywhere from 2 - 2 3/4 quarts
nope you are doing it wrong. you have to let the oil come back down all the way into the sump and that will take 1 min not 15 30 sec. or else you will get a inaccurate reading.

zje400ex
06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
thanks for all the info. i will try that soon

zje400ex
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
when i ride it i felt the bottom of the oil tank and it was warm, the top was colder. so i think its fine, i'll check with my local dealer to double check before my next ride

CarGuy7a
06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by 1965 honda
nope you are doing it wrong. you have to let the oil come back down all the way into the sump and that will take 1 min not 15 30 sec. or else you will get a inaccurate reading.

well after i do an oil change i let it warm up fully at idle and then i shut it off and let it sit for a min or 2 then check it and it never reads more than the top mark on the dipstick so how am i doing it wrong. that's how i've always done it and i've never had any problems.

also an innacurate reading can come from screwing the dipstick all the way in to check it (which you are not supposed to do).
you're supposed to unscrew it, pull it out, wipe it off and then push it back in (without screwing it in) then read it. got that from the dealership.

GPracer2500
06-08-2007, 01:07 AM
....you're supposed to unscrew it, pull it out, wipe it off and then push it back in (without screwing it in) then read it...

This is true! Thanks for pointing that out.

1965 honda
06-08-2007, 06:33 AM
well after i do an oil change i let it warm up fully at idle and then i shut it off and let it sit for a min or 2 then check it and it never reads more than the top mark on the dipstick so how am i doing it wrong. that's how i've always done it and i've never had any problems.

also an innacurate reading can come from screwing the dipstick all the way in to check it (which you are not supposed to do).
you're supposed to unscrew it, pull it out, wipe it off and then push it back in (without screwing it in) then read it. got that from the dealership.
your still putting in to much oil. if you let it sit before you check it you are doing it wright . you made it sound like you turn it off and check it.:p

CarGuy7a
06-09-2007, 12:12 AM
well actually when i first fill the oil tank with everything dry it's like 1 1/2 quarts. then i start it and let it run for like a couple seconds to let it suck the oil in the crankcase then i'll shut it off and check it again and it shows oil about a 1/4 inch on the stick. then i put about another quart in it.

so all in all it's like 2 1/2 quarts. but like i said everytime after i change the oil i let it warm up fully at idle then shut it off and let it sit for a couple minutes and check it and it always reads on the top mark.

you don't have to put as much oil in as i do anywhere between the marks is safe. i'd rather have it on the top mark myself. but yeah if you over fill it it will screw stuff up. that's why i'm always careful when doing the oil. those dry sumps are finicky.