PDA

View Full Version : new throttle on old EX?

ak400ex
06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Alright so ive got a 2001 400ex and the throttle is extremely stiff. its like trying to push boulders... with your thumb. ha but yea the cable is good, and ive used every kind of lube for it that there is and it made it a little better but its still hard. I cant even finish a race without having to hit the throttle with my opposite hand to give my thumb some rest. then today i went around fealing all the other racers throttles and they were all like butter. of course all of there quads are from '04 and up. so i was wondering if the new style 400ex throttle would work on my quad and be alot smoother? Or is it a different carb and everything? what do you guys think?
thanks
---Aaron

Roman
06-07-2007, 06:10 AM
I took the spring out of the thumb throttle housing and moved the spring on the throttle linkage at the carb. It helped allot, but it's still too stiff for me. So I'm going to replace it with a twist throttle. Good luck! :D

vett_09
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
It sounds like you just need a new throttle cable, especially if it's never been replaced. (I saw you have an '01) Eventually, even if you lube the cable, they start to bind. I think I paid $15 for mine when I replaced it.