PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Pipe

WhY_ZeE
10-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Can you guys tell me if its worth to put a pipe on a 400ex? I know it has a great sound but does it add much power??

jaspurx
10-18-2002, 09:47 PM
from what i have read the fmf powerbomb head pipe does a good job of pumpin` ponies. i am going to get one if it`ll match my white bros. e-series. i am really pleased with my silencer , and want to boost it more , but want more hp. not just more flow. a high flow header increases flow which is good , but i`m not sure it will give more hp. , but instead more flow/acceleration.but right off the bottom i think the powerbomb has the edge.if i were you i`d see exactly what i want before i get one. dirtwheels or atv action did a pipe shootout , and the powerbomb wasnt in there, if you research this you`ll find what you want.

cals400ex
10-18-2002, 11:34 PM
on a stock machine they don't add much power on a 400ex. what i feel the most is torque gains when coming out of corners or nailing it in like third or fourth gear. my best friend has a slip on with a k and n and in an all out drag race he does not beat me by much. you can tell he has more torque though. if we both have the rpms up he will just have a minor edge. all i have on my 400ex is 6 uni vents in the airbox lid. both 400ex's are jetted a little different from factory to get the best gains possible. on a modified motor i can see an exhaust system be beneficial. if i was to get an exhaust system i would be going with one of the race companies such as curtis sparks, lrd, trinity, hmf etc. the only problem is these complete systems are pricey. its all personal preference whether you want to pay for it or not. i think i will keep my stock one because i have no purpose for a new exhaust.

Booch
10-19-2002, 09:55 AM
I have a 400ex with a K&N filter and rejected with the air box lid off, i have the stock head pipe with the welds gone, and i was running a e series until a smashed it. Recently i had to put the stock silencer back on. Me and my friends could not tell and power loss going back to the stock slip on. I think with a stock motor the air filter and rejeting it relly helps, not too sure about the slip on. Thats just my 2 cents!:D :D

Sick0
10-19-2002, 11:36 AM
The pipes do help, but not by much. I think it seems faster because of the noise it makes. Plus they look nicer. They will help preformacne because there light too.

redrider ex
10-19-2002, 11:54 AM
me and my buddy had raced severl times and were always even mine is a 99 400ex his is a 01 400ex then i put on jet kit K&N filter and HMF slip on and wow our first race i jumped ahead on start and keeped pulling ahead and when i let off i was about 5 bikes ahead.

Sick0
10-19-2002, 12:13 PM
How do you know you didn't just get a good start. I've beat my buddy with his banshee before and it ain't beause of the quad. That thing hauls *****.

redrider ex
10-19-2002, 02:40 PM
we raced over and over and we also had the same tires to and i still beat him.

QuadTrix6
10-19-2002, 02:48 PM
yea you should get a curtis sparks X6, don't cheap out and get a crappy pipe you should just spend the money and get something good, you won't be disappointed :D

Sick0
10-19-2002, 03:10 PM
The best way to test some thing like is to switch bikes and race each othere a couple of times. Whos says his filrter is dirtter, tires are more worn, diffrent air pressure. What about jet kits, Maybe you set up is better than his. It may not be the pipe at all.:devil :devil