PDA

View Full Version : honda falling behind?

450robot
06-06-2007, 06:51 PM
ok, new 08 models released, no efi, no new designs, hmmmmm... can-am, suz, kawa... its your time to shine, hopefully yamaha follows the technology flow...

btw, the hondas are NOT bad, i just wish they would upgrade more

N300exJ
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Hah the 450R sucks. Im tired of more wrenching than riding! This thing is going asap. they lost my money. Honda better wake up soon.

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
There sales are still great, why bring out something new when you are still selling the old?

N300exJ
06-06-2007, 07:08 PM
oh i dunno maybe the old isnt even close to good enough anymore?

Ralph
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Just about any of us cant reach the potential of a 400ex. People need to worry more about their own abilities rather than having the fanciest bike. I see the tricked out 450 race bikes getting beat by ratty old 400ex's all the time.

Honda doesnt think it needs to play the game of catch up because they know they are the best. Their quality of bikes is the best.

OutlawBill
06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Why should they change they are still winning in MX, XC, TT and desert racing

Mean250r
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Just about any of us cant reach the potential of a 400ex. People need to worry more about their own abilities rather than having the fanciest bike. I see the tricked out 450 race bikes getting beat by ratty old 400ex's all the time.

Honda doesnt think it needs to play the game of catch up because they know they are the best. Their quality of bikes is the best.
the best? :D :D

BlaineKaiser450
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
i dont think there falling behind. I feel that when they realesed the 450r they had a quad that was years ahead of the rest and just now Kawacrapy and Suckzuki and Can Am are catching up.

Mean250r
06-06-2007, 07:51 PM

416exfreak
06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I see the tricked out 450 race bikes getting beat by ratty old 400ex's all the time.

Lots of people have that problem...I love showin up people with my old 440....not the best lookin ride, but damn she runs good!:macho

ZeroLogic
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I'll stick with Yamaha after being with Honda for 7 or 8 years. No thanks, I hate they way they are built. No common sense was put into them.

06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Hondas are nice and all. But it was a friggin adventure to take the gas tank off my friends 450r. All those clamps and other stupid unnecessary ****. While my YFZ all you have to do is take off the gas tank plastic, and unbolt the tank and your done.

hsr
06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
The 450r motors are good, but the chassis components are sub-par. No reason not to widen it a little, maybe some adjustable upper a-arms, a racier type exhaust system and some renthal bars from the factory, just a little bit each year wouldn't hurt!

Mxjunkie
06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda builds something that works over the test of time and they figure why change something that work's so well? they make everything simple and easy, turn key ready to go. Even Honda's wiring is top par in my book, aspecially if I were to compare it any Yamaha system sphew... :p

pats2007450er
06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
i'll stick with my 07450er it's the only 450 that dosen't look like some thing from outer space.the efi will have problems down the road.look at it this way look at all of the three wheelers,dirt bike's and atv's thats old as hell and they still run like champs what are they made by?honda

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by pats2007450er
i'll stick with my 07450er it's the only 450 that dosen't look like some thing from outer space.the efi will have problems down the road.look at it this way look at all of the three wheelers,dirt bike's and atv's thats old as hell and they still run like champs what are they made by?honda

Why would EFI hve problems? My 89 Buicks EFi works great. My dads Cdale is still running strong. Its 5 years old.

My friends 1874 yamaha DT 400 is still runnig, along with my moms 72 yamaha 80. My 87 banshee ran like a champ. Accorss it was rebuilt 3 or 4 times but hell its 20 years old.

Its not just honda. All the quads are reliable. There are only a few out there that have major problems.

CRich[814]
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
the hondas are NOT bad, i just wish they would upgrade more

there not bad. id own a 250R or 400ex any day. id buy a 300ex or 250x for cheap. there all great. anything else, no.

ill never buy another honda again unless its either real cheap, a 250R, or unless they pull something amazing out of their ***. my next machine WILL be a yamaha.

atvRiDa400ex
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Mean250r

yea he said it!! WHAT WHAT

haha

Ralph
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
U can question it all you want. Honda is the best.

Yamaha's are built like crap. Hondas are made to last. Suzuki is too new and so is kawasaki etc.

Honda has a huge following cause they have dominated for so long. People buy honda cause they know they are bulletproof machines. Question it all you want.

Buy whatever the hell you want. Im just making the point that honda is the best and its undeniable.

Ralph
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM

Yamaha's are built like crap. Hondas are made to last. Suzuki is too new and so is kawasaki etc.

Honda has a huge following cause they have dominated for so long. People buy honda cause they know they are bulletproof machines. Question it all you want.

Buy whatever the hell you want. Im just making the point that honda is the best and its undeniable.

CRich[814]
06-06-2007, 11:02 PM

thats why my best friend just dumped $900 into his 2006 crf250 for a whole new topend. yeah, thats the best. there bulletproof. pshhhh yami's are 100x better.

honda's wheelers, the air cooled ones, literally do last forever.

06-06-2007, 11:02 PM
all 450s are built like crap.....as long as the 250rs are buzzing around i will defend the honda---250r that is

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Sorry I do not agree at ALL! Guess last time I was at the MX track pulling off my buddies 450r due to the crank going out was reliable. 4 times in 1 year it went out. My buds YFZ450 runs great. No problems.

I have owned about every kind of quad out there. Suzuki King, Kawi 400, 400ex, Cdale, Bomb, Yamaha.

All have been great. My banshee needed alot more TLC, the Cdale is bullet proof, 400ex and Kawi 400 have had 0 problems, bomb is running great, My king quad had some minor hickups but that was due to a faulty EFi controller.

Your intitle to your opinion but no way can you say Honda is the only way to go.

underpowered
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
why change what works? the 450r is still on top in MX. still doing well in XC. why change it? i have ridden an LTR and wsas not impressed. EFI is not all it is cracked up to be, gimme a carb any day.

honda is not behind. they alwasy seem like it, then all the sudden they bring something out that puts them right back on top. look at the 400ex, it was the bike to have when it came out. everyone wanted one. then the 450R was on top, who know what will be next for honda.

but to be fair, if i was to buy a new bike, right this moment, it would be a yami. but it honda comes out with somethin new i will have one, or the new KTM

troutman561
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh

My friends 1874 yamaha DT 400 is still runnig,

Now thats impressive right there, I still hope my 400ex is running when it is 133 years old in 2138:D

firefighterjosh
06-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by troutman561
Now thats impressive right there, I still hope my 400ex is running when it is 133 years old in 2138:D

lol. It suprises me too. His dad has a suzuki that is still running too. He has it since he was 16. I think its a 185. I will snap some pics when I am at his house next. I swear they are made of iron.

Mxjunkie
06-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
thats why my best friend just dumped $900 into his 2006 crf250 for a whole new topend. yeah, thats the best. there bulletproof. pshhhh yami's are 100x better.

Maybe your friend needs to learn how to ride so he wont blow it up? thumper's dont just gernade for no apparent reason, you have to push a thumper as far as it can go or if the case being have a mishap from the manufacture, but how many time's does that happen? Also you can't really be brand biased and use a blown motor to state an fact, it's just a unreliable source of information, if it was known that the crf's do indeed blow motors then that's another story, but there's tons of yamahas, suzukis and kawie bikes that are blown to pieces as well, I suppose that make's Yamaha 100x better then the rest? On another note to stay on topic 450r motor's had their gremlins as did the YFZ motor's, But I would like to know why this would make the ATV's junk, is it so hard to rebuild a motor? Hell in my case it would be an excuse to build a crazy one :blah:

97blaster200
06-07-2007, 05:01 AM

i think your mom dropped you on your head while you were a baby

06-07-2007, 06:02 AM
honda puts more r&d into their changes to put out a quality product...the may not be the first to the table, but the are the most trustworthy when they do get there...every once in awhile they get rushed to get the product to the consumers...i think this happened with the 450r...both in the first year/04 models and again with the 06 model.

the few issues thay have had are somewhat minor to the scope of most of the people buying their machines...the once or twice a month trail rider that don't notice that the shocks are a little stiff, and isn't going to need the motor to fire up on the first push of the button because he isn't sitting on a starting line

Cody_300ex
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Im honda at heart but own a LTR. I used to own a 300ex (for over 5 years)and dreamabout a 450rs and tricked out 400ex's all the time until other manufactuers started stepping up. Yes I think honda is falling behind.....

REDRIDDER
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
All i can Say in Honda's defense is that for it being the least updated quad it still can hang with the newly designed suzuki's and Yamaha's even though the suzuki's are fuel injected.

m.h.s.c.#527
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I'll stick with Yamaha after being with Honda for 7 or 8 years. No thanks, I hate they way they are built. No common sense was put into them.

there lack of common sense gets them more money in a day that you will see in a lifetime

250ex13
06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
No '08 400ex??

RaptorRacer45
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex
Im honda at heart but own a LTR. I used to own a 300ex (for over 5 years)and dreamabout a 450rs and tricked out 400ex's all the time until other manufactuers started stepping up. Yes I think honda is falling behind.....

By that pic it seems there falling over 2:D

Anyway back on topic, i have nothing 2 say, Never Owned a Honda and really never want to....Every Quad has Pros and Cons

CRich[814]
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
No '08 400ex??

guess not. doesnt even make sense to have it anyways.

7-10 years old--90
11-14 y/o-------300
15 and up-------450

i personally see no reason for a 250ex or 400ex. 250ex are too close to 300ex and the 400ex had a great run, but they probably want to sell more 450's.

CRich[814]
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM

not to hate the 400, i love them. there fun as hell. but its just the middle man between the 300 and 450.

if you look at the mx bikes, the only '08 out is the crf150, so maybe for some reason they didnt update it for the 400.

Robin Hood
06-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Why put more R&D into a bike that probably sells the most out of the 450's?

They didn't set out to make a fully mx bike like Suzuki did (LTR). They made a quad that an everyday trail rider can pick up, keep stock, and ride it on the trails casually for years to come.

Thats why there's no update on the Honda.

There must be millions of people who don't look into riding as much as us, and Honda plays off that because they are a smart business. Keep it simple and easy to ride and you have a money maker. Why throw EFI on it if the normal everyday guy wont give a rats *** whether it's there or not?

CHEVYZ
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I am not disappointed with them at all. They are looking to what sells. Why would they do anything to their quad that would cause their majority of buyers to turn away, just to please the few that want an "out the box" mx quad, or xc quad, or whatever it is those people are after. The truth is that most people-your average guy-couldn't really care about the EFI hype, or the fancy suspention, or anything of that nature. And if you do want it to be set up to what you are doing, there are tons of companies making parts to fit your every want and need. Honda won't make drastic changes to their bikes until they feel it is necessary (and no, not when you feel that it's necessary), and with the KTM and Can-Am just being announced, I don't see why Honda should be rushing in to build a newly designed 450r without even seeing what is going to be offered in the first place.

The point is that if you don't like where the 450r is at, then don't buy one. There are plenty of bikes on the table, and all either are or will be better suited for one kind of rider. There are plenty of guys out there that will want the very bike that you turn away from.

450Rchaser
06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
blah blah blah, like most arguements begin or end with. It comes down to the rider.

Ralph
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by TRUE
I hope everything you just said was a joke.

Honda's are made to last? One of my racing buddies purchased a new 450R and within 7 hours the motor was shot.
the next day he purchased a YFZ450 and he had NO (zero) problems with it since he had it in 2005.
So please tell me how Hondas are made to last.
Just so you know I own a Honda and love it, but it should be illegal to say Hondas are made to last.

Honda has a name in reliability. Ill say it again. Maybe ur buddy doesnt know how to maintain a bike. and ANYTHING OUT THERE HAS A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF FAILURE RATES. some [read yamaha] HIGHER than others.

To tell you the truth, i dont even care.

Yamaha's have a history of being junk. [Blaster, Warrior, Banshee, Raptors] They are just now starting to get better. But fact is that for those 20 years yamahas were a monster to work on. I completly rebuilt a banshee a while ago and let me tell you, its the small things that matter. I remember seing a new "my yfz caught fire thread" every other day when they first came out. Im not saying its not a good bike, but im saying that when honda releases a bike. It is DONE. Its not something thats gonna need tweaks every year. When you buy a honda you usualy dont have to worry about them coming out with a newer better version every year.

Honda has always had top notch products. Everything from the race bikes to generators to their cars. They will all run forever. Hondas are a pleasure to work on. All the bolts are [zinc?] coated, chain adjustment system has ALWAYS been the best[thats what reputation means, they only reason u have a nice chain adjustment system on ur yammy is cause hondas patent ran out].

no time left to argue

tt racer
06-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Nobody can argue the fact that the honda needed some updates. You guys can defend honda all you want but the fact is and you guys stated honda sells the most, so there is obviously money to be spent in r&d. Trust me i know how this works, they can only sell by their name for so long. It is a great machine im not bashing it but YOU AS THE CUSTOMER DESERVE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

DOHC
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Why would EFI hve problems? My 89 Buicks EFi works great. My dads Cdale is still running strong. Its 5 years old.

My friends 1874 yamaha DT 400 is still runnig, along with my moms 72 yamaha 80. My 87 banshee ran like a champ. Accorss it was rebuilt 3 or 4 times but hell its 20 years old.

Its not just honda. All the quads are reliable. There are only a few out there that have major problems.
When u do have a problem u will pay out the *** for it and just to find the problem u need a scanner that cost 4000$ cnd. Efi is a pain!

06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Why do so many people think that only Honda's are reliable. Ive beat the **** out of my YFZ for a year now and there's no problems. The only problems I had were my on stupid fault, 18inch tires on stock rims, not adjusting the valves and bending rotors and stupid stuff. That's all my fault. I just did the valves tonight and it runs like a champ again. I just hate when people say Honda is THE best. And no, I'm no biased at all, I was going to get a 450r instead of my YFZ. But I felt the YFZ is the better deal.
If I had to get a new quad my first choice would be Suzuki or KTM, second choice Yamaha, 3rd Kawie 4th Can- Am 5th Honda.

06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by DOHC
When u do have a problem u will pay out the *** for it and just to find the problem u need a scanner that cost 4000$ cnd. Efi is a pain!

EFI is the future.

06-07-2007, 08:10 PM
the future dont look good

06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
the future dont look good

man, you should invent the time machine, since everything you like is dead in the past.

06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
i just dont care for alot of the new stuff...old school is usually better...i had the choice of EFI or carb on my sled and i am so glad i went carb and not EFI, i wouldnt trust them on my machine. Carbs are proven and easy to work on, less expensive...just overall better

Robin Hood
06-07-2007, 08:35 PM
A quads reliability souly depends on the rider and how maintained it is. Don't bash on other companies for rider error.

Everyone hates everybody for something, it's the same ****. You beat the crap out of a Honda, it's gunna break, you run the Yamaha until the piston blows through the head, it's gunna break. Etc.

06-08-2007, 04:57 AM
i had 2 450Rs now and never had any problems with any of them. and i ride at least 4 times a week. i dont think honda is doing to much to the 450R because its fine just the way it is.

06-08-2007, 04:57 AM
i had 2 450Rs now and never had any problems with any of them. and i ride at least 4 times a week. i dont think honda is doing to much to the 450R because its fine just the way it is.

LTR450_#67
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
They probably had a new 450R ready to go, but then they saw the DS450 and said uh-oh.....I think thats what everyone is doing right now.....

mephyst
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
man, you should invent the time machine, since everything you like is dead in the past.

Hahahahaha. I've always noticed that too.

Why would you not trust EFI? EFI is nothing new and once you learn how to decently use a computer, it is actually quite simple to change maps/calculate/dial in. You are spending nearly 8 grand on a quad and are going to complain about a controller that will possibly cost $400, which will last forever? You will be able to do more things with that controller than you will any other mod. I think its worth it.

And also, for a person like me who is always switching altitudes, I think it is a pain in the @$$ to keep hassling with my carb to get it to run perfect. :blah:

54warrior
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda has a name in reliability. Ill say it again. Maybe ur buddy doesnt know how to maintain a bike. and ANYTHING OUT THERE HAS A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF FAILURE RATES. some [read yamaha] HIGHER than others.

To tell you the truth, i dont even care.

Yamaha's have a history of being junk. [Blaster, Warrior, Banshee, Raptors] They are just now starting to get better. But fact is that for those 20 years yamahas were a monster to work on. I completly rebuilt a banshee a while ago and let me tell you, its the small things that matter. I remember seing a new "my yfz caught fire thread" every other day when they first came out. Im not saying its not a good bike, but im saying that when honda releases a bike. It is DONE. Its not something thats gonna need tweaks every year. When you buy a honda you usualy dont have to worry about them coming out with a newer better version every year.

Honda has always had top notch products. Everything from the race bikes to generators to their cars. They will all run forever. Hondas are a pleasure to work on. All the bolts are [zinc?] coated, chain adjustment system has ALWAYS been the best[thats what reputation means, they only reason u have a nice chain adjustment system on ur yammy is cause hondas patent ran out].

no time left to argue

I am not biased to any brand, however you completely crossed the line when you claim that the Blaster, Warrior, Banshee, and Raptors are JUNK!!! Nothing could be farther from the truth. I bought a 96 Warrior brand new when I was 14- it has been through the mill, a real tank. No Reliability issues, the Warrior is probably one of the MOST RELIABLE quads of ALL time. Same thing can be said for the Raptors-yes the first year models had tranny problems but overall are a very reliable machine. The Blaster/Banshee's have their quirks and I would consider not as reliable as they should be-although they are more reliable than some machines.

You say that by owning a Honda, you don't have to worry about new changes every year. So what your saying is that they changed the Blaster, Warrior, Banshee every year??? Not hardly true. The Warrior was the same thing (minus BNG) from 1989 thru 2003---thats 14 years with zero changes.

Based on your statement that "When you buy a honda you usualy dont have to worry about them coming out with a newer better version every year" that would mean that since 2004 the 450R has experienced ZERO changes, which couldn't be farther from the truth!!!

Without changes every year, the technology would go nowhere. History shows that Honda is great at resting on their laurels, while the other mfg's take steps forward. (Except for introducing the aluminum framed twin spar motorcycles back around '98?) You can't argue that the 400EX was something "revolutionary".

Yes the Honda's are reliable machines, but IMHO, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have been behind since 2001 when the Cannondales were introtuced. Also, IMHO, the new CAN-AM is the ONLY machine that is NOT behind. This machine will take ALL of the mfg's to the next level.

250r4life
06-08-2007, 12:12 PM

7-10 years old--90
11-14 y/o-------300
15 and up-------450

i personally see no reason for a 250ex or 400ex. 250ex are too close to 300ex and the 400ex had a great run, but they probably want to sell more 450's.

the 250ex is a good bike for beginners as the new ones you can use the clutch or not, so it is good to help young riders learn how to ride clutch...

that is a big jump from the 300ex to the 450r... i would keep making it... the 400ex is a good bike for trails and for people who arent interested in the occasional drag...

plus its a solid bike that will run forever, and costs much less than the 450r...

250r4life
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
A quads reliability souly depends on the rider and how maintained it is. Don't bash on other companies for rider error.

Everyone hates everybody for something, it's the same ****. You beat the crap out of a Honda, it's gunna break, you run the Yamaha until the piston blows through the head, it's gunna break. Etc.

thats not true at all...

if we were talking about the 250r, you couldnt have asked for a more solid bike... there isnt even a comparison in reliability between the trx 250r and the lt 250...

same thing with the new quads... all bikes are not created equal... its attention to detail...

thats like saying a dodge is the same as a honda cars- the reason people have problems with dodges is cuz they dont maintain them like the honda owners do... right...

although i wish i coulda stayed with honda, i felt the YFZ was head and shoulders above the 450r, and had to go with the YFZ...

06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
i wouldnt want to use EFI for a number of reasons. cost is the most important...Where i live you jet once and your all set. I wouldnt want to spend 400 bucks when i can pick up main jets for 2-3 bucks...it dont make sense. Carbs run just fine and i would rather know what is going on in there, rather then relieing on a peice of junk computer...and yes computers are garbage IMO

54warrior
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
.and yes computers are garbage IMO

So I expect this will be your last post, as you are probably in the process of destroying your PC right now with a sledgehammer, right??

LOL

06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
the less complicated a set up or motor is, the better...Thats another reason i wont go 4 stroke, too many moving parts, and double the CC so you can go the same speed and spend more money?? dont make sense to me...the less complex, and less moving parts, the better the set up is IMO...afterall isnt technology supposed to make things easier, rather then more complex and expensive...it seems like these 450 EFI are going backwards

06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
computers overall are killing our cizilization...I didnt have a cell phone untill this year...i dont spend much money on technology, its just thrown away money...if you saw my computer, you would understand, but thats a whole different topic...In the end, computers will destroy mankind, thats pretty easy to predict...

woodsman250r
06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
hahaha after sitting here reading all these posts I have came to one MAIN conclussion...this sit is full of idiots. Anyways, reguardless of the brand, everyone is going to have their own opinion on quality, design, performance, technology blah blah blah. Instead of all of you morons sitting here bashing each other just let it go. You obviously ride what you have because you enjoy riding it, and it fits your style. Not everyone is going to be the same. Also just because one guys bike blew up in 8 hours doesn't mean the next guy in line will. This sport all comes down to whether or not the bike you ride is the right choice or not. It just gets old getting on here and reading all the garbage some idiots constantly post on here that doesn't help out one single person in choosing a bike to get into the sport.

N300exJ
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Hell when it comes down to it i dont care that much about EFI. Facts are that the 450R IS NOT wide enough, IS NOT low enough, IS NOT light enough, DOES NOT have a good enough suspension even in stock form for the average rider. It shouldnt even be called a 450R. The current 450R should replace the 400ex and Honda should make a true 450 atv for racing!!!!

m.h.s.c.#527
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
computers overall are killing our cizilization...I didnt have a cell phone untill this year...i dont spend much money on technology, its just thrown away money...if you saw my computer, you would understand, but thats a whole different topic...In the end, computers will destroy mankind, thats pretty easy to predict...

thats y u have 2189 posts right?

06-09-2007, 09:07 AM
i just use this website to kill time..i hate technology but there is nothing i can do to stop it...

bottomline is i will not buy a EFI quad, I will continue to run steel frames, 2 stroke motors with a carb...and still be just as fast, if not faster then aluminum framed, EFI 450s with a few grand left in my bank account...

Tommy 17
06-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by N300exJ
Hell when it comes down to it i dont care that much about EFI. Facts are that the 450R IS NOT wide enough, IS NOT low enough, IS NOT light enough, DOES NOT have a good enough suspension even in stock form for the average rider. It shouldnt even be called a 450R. The current 450R should replace the 400ex and Honda should make a true 450 atv for racing!!!!

and how many championships and series wins does the 450r have? shut the hell up moron

06-09-2007, 10:06 AM
its the rider, not the quad. just because the 450r wins everything doesnt mean the quad is doing it...

every quad has advantages and disadvantages. yes, the new technology is putting older technology even further behind.

the 250r freaks will still say the 250r is better, and that is a nonstop boring e-war.

besides, the championships they win....id like to see what parts are actually still 100% honda. garunteed the motor isnt honda anymore, and nothing else is. i garuntee if they won it on a honda ,that they could win it on a suzuki or a yamaha as well.

just stfu already. argueing just gets so boring

Ruby Soho
06-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by N300exJ

than why do you have one?

N300exJ
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Because everyone in my family ride hondas. always has been that way. Not anymore though. time for something better.

culichi
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
i dont think there falling behind. I feel that when they realesed the 450r they had a quad that was years ahead of the rest and just now Kawacrapy and Suckzuki and Can Am are catching up.

hahahahah you didnt had a name for Can Am..... but you could have said Can *** or something

450raider
06-09-2007, 04:32 PM
well im not trying to p.o. anyone but im just gonna give my 2 cents and that is that honda makes good reliable stuff always have always will but they dont really give a sh** what the consumer thinks (main reasoning i jumped with kawi) for years people said rhino like sidexside, for years people said 650ex, and for 2-3 yrs. peoples been saying mx-xc model 450s and once again honda is ignoring the people and doing what they want because they know theres people out there (much like myself at once) whod rather walk then ride something without a little honda sticker on it, and its worked so far so now that the other brands are steppin up lets see if hondas "we tell them what to buy" strategy still keeps them on top in say 5yrs.

REDRIDDER
06-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
All i can Say in Honda's defense is that for it being the least updated quad it still can hang with the newly designed suzuki's and Yamaha's even though the suzuki's are fuel injected. yeah your right lol.....

SRH
06-09-2007, 10:59 PM
suzuki says hmm if we built it like this it will be easier to work on

honda says well that way will last 5 years but lets make it last 25 years and do it this way

yamaha does there own thing and there pretty good at it there stuff isnt bad but its not the best

and i wouldnt say the 450r is the best quad.... im dissappointed with my buddies, the ltr is my favorite so far

1965 honda
06-09-2007, 11:23 PM
my 1965 honda starts first kick.

honda350r
06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
All brands suck ! Just some more than others!

pats2007450er
06-10-2007, 01:01 AM
im hoping that honda is waiting to see what the can-am,ktm has that way they can come out in 2009 and drop them like it's hot.

06-10-2007, 09:22 AM
honda350r All brands suck ! Just some more than others!

^^couldnt agree more...none of the new machines are worth 7 grand im my book

N300exJ
06-10-2007, 10:39 AM
alot of good points!

i agree that Honda doesnt care what the consumer wants

i agree that all of the 450s arent worth 7+grand.

and yes all the brands suck more than others.

i too am dissapointed with my 450r. we shall see what the future brings with other brands stepping up.

trx450jason
06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
My opinion is that the 450r is a great bike for a base to build up on. It just takes time and money. The only problem I have is that I can't afford to do it again right now so I'm considering the suzuki.

Meat
06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
This "ralph" guy is amazing. Ralphy. tell us how old you are

06-10-2007, 11:15 AM
n300exj...do you think that maybe the problem is that your engine is built....reliabilty decreases when engine work is done...

as far as honda not going with what the consumer wants...that is exactly what they are doing...going with what the main consumer wants...the main consumer wants a the 450r the way it is....a reliable almost carefree quad that gets them down the trail fast and without hassle. if even 10 percent of the 450rs sold even see a mx track or are entered in any type of race, i would be surprised.

most of the buyers don't even realize that the suspension and handling need some work...they are the first time buyers that ahve no idea what the full potential of any quad is. they are the ones that rode dads rancher around and thought they might like to have something a little different than that. most people buying the 450r are going to leave it bone stock and will be really happy with it.

honda has the lowest price of all of them right now and that is a factor in the sales of them. start adding cost to of unnecessary things like fat bars, fi, and whatever; then you might be over the price of someone else, causing the newby to buy that brand instead. why did he buy the other brand? simply because the price was lower.

look at it this way, honda could make 2 or 3 different versions of all of their bikes(color differences aside). then what happens, their inventory has to double or triple. keeping a lrger inventory costs money. where does that money for the ivnventory come from. take a wild guess....let me tell you....you and i, the consumers.

this is what happened to cannondale...they gave the consumers what they wanted...a xc version, a mx version, a desert version, and an everyday version...the cost of keeping all those was too much and the company bankrupted.

trx400EXtreme
06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
all i have to say is...........

every 450 has its pros and every 450 has its cons.

Mc. Muffin
06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Meat
This "ralph" guy is amazing. Ralphy. tell us how old you are

May 31, 1988 :chinese:

DOHC
06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
How is a carb dead in the past. I cant understand why people want efi sure u get alittle more power and throttle response but if it breaks u have to pay twice as much to fix it and half the time u cant figure out what the problem is unless u have a scanner and like i said before a scanner will cost u as much as some peoples quads :eek2:

deathman53
06-10-2007, 04:37 PM
I guess I live in the old school world too. I would much rather have a carburator than efi. My friends nighbor has a ltr450, he got cams put in it, it hasn't run right ever since. He has spend over $1000 on controllers, only to be told that the cams are "prototype" and the correct mapping for it is in r&d right now. He wants stock cams back. As for the honda 450r being very reilable, it is, but they do eat up valves and when that happens, there is a good chance your whole valve trane has to be repalced. I would love to see honda release a 89 250r almost exactly as it came back then, but with better suspesion and a better motor(pv, better carb, maybe igntion). I would go to dealer and buy it without question.

06-10-2007, 05:46 PM
geez deathman your so stuck in the past...lol...JK...i would love to have a new 89 250r too...these new quads are no where near what they are made out to be...It seems like every month is dirt wheels and other magazines all you see is. "this is the best quad ever built" It does get old after a while. I do think it is pretty sad when these old 250 steel frames, with a carb are running just fine up agenst 7-8 grand new 450 aluminum frame with EFI that are about 20 years newer but yet still cant live up to the hype. You can say i am stuck in past but really i just ride the stuff that i think deserves my hard earned cash, and can still excite me...

Ride a high HP banshee and then go back to a 40 hp 450s with a "smooth" powerband...oh i am so excited to ride around on such lame ATV

deathman53
06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah, me and my trx250r's and trikes(atc250r and atc200x), I'm very much stuck in the past. I do own modern four strokes, but the 2 strokes are my favorite.

firefighterjosh
06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
IMO every company is behind.

and

CDALE was ahead of its time. Finally others are catching up;)

06-10-2007, 09:22 PM
nothing has really changed when you think about it. All company still want their quads to handle like a 250r and no quad has more potential then a banshee or LT500...

At a national ice race i went to you seen all these "high tech" 450s out there with a ton of mods still getting spanked by the 1994 Kx 500...its funny when people act like the new quad coming out is going to be something amazing...there is nothing new out there...Let the truth be known all these 4 strokes still get smoked by the big bore 2 strokes, and those big bore 2 strokes have been around forever.....I cant wait for the 08s to come out...lol