PDA

View Full Version : boating license

exrider23
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Ok so im going to get my boaters license today but i dont know what to expect. Is it hard? None of my friends have their's and my dad took his a long time ago. So what are your oppinions on the test?

troutman561
06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
You have to take a boating test? Is it like driving a boat or is it a written test? Either way that sucks, here in Florida all you have to do is own a boat, no license required:macho

exrider23
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
its sorta like a written test, you take it on a computer.

TRX450RACER174
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
You have to get a license? I took a california boating course on the net but that was just to lower my insurance no license req in cali.

Gray33
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
ya, in ohio i think they pased a law or something that made people that were born before 81 or some year in 80 they need there licances but if you are older (like my dad) you dont need none not really for sure tho ..all i know is my dad was talking about letting me takin out the boat by myself this weekend

wishmasstir
06-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Gray33
ya, in ohio i think they pased a law or something that made people that were born before 81 or some year in 80 they need there licances but if you are older (like my dad) you dont need none not really for sure tho ..all i know is my dad was talking about letting me takin out the boat by myself this weekend

yep, same here in pa. theres a size limit or something though, i can take out my bass boat but i cant borrow my dads cuddy by myself :( let me know how the test goes cause i have to take mine too

mephyst
06-06-2007, 12:30 PM
The only time in California where I have come across needing a boating license was at Lake Arrowhead only because it is a privately owned lake. They don't want a bunch of kids taking their boats out on the lake because it isn't that big and running people over I guess. But the license is only for Lake Arrowhead...

Quad18star
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I wrote a boating test a few years ago . They made it manditory up here for anyone that wanted to operate a boat to take it ... mostly because kids on Sea-Doos were getting killed every week.

Basically the test I wrote had stupid questions , like " Is it OK to drive a boat while under the influence of Alcohol".

Then they through in a couple questions like " What is the Starboard side of the boat" ..." What is the Stern" ...." Who has the right-of-way" ... " What do red and green buoys means" .. those kinds of questions .

When I took it , it was pretty much a joke ... you paid $25 and wrote the test .... the lady would then come over to correct it and she'd put her correction sheet overtop and tell you which ones you got wrong so that you could fill them in correctly to pass. Was nothing but a money grab at the time ... but has cut down on a lot of senseless deaths from the younger kids on 200 HP jet skis.