PDA

View Full Version : 525 jetting question

curley
06-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I was just wondering why the stock main jet is so much bigger on the KTM 525 dirt bikes(176 main) compared to the Outlaw (148 main)?

I just put the JD kit on my Outlaw with the recommended 172 main and the damn thing will rip your arms off now!! My only mods are Outerware air box lid, the bigger exhaust tip and JD jet kit. Are the engines the same except for exhausts and air intakes?

Curley

LT250_JOE
06-06-2007, 08:20 AM
148 MAIN JET IS FOR EMISSIONS REASONS. ENGINES ARE IDENTICAL EXCEPT 6TH GEAR WAS REMOVED TO ADD REVERSE, INTAKE AND EXHAUST DIFFERENT SO IT'LL FIT QUAD FRAME.

JETTING AND AIRBOX MOD IS SUPPOSED TO BE A 3-4 HP INCREASE AT THE WHEELS WHICH IS HUGE COMPARED TO OTHER MACHINES.

curley
06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Why do Quads have such strict emissions compared to the dirt bikes? You think it would be the other way around since you can make the enduros street legal! :confused:

LT250_JOE
06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
KTM BIKE HAS A MORE FREE FLOWING EXHAUST AND INTAKE, AND IS 100+ LBS LIGHTER THEREFORE MORE FUEL NEEDED/LESS LOAD ON ENGINE FROM WEIGHT= LESS EMISSIONS:chinese:

06300ex
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
that is a ridiculous amount of power increase for the money. what is the correct web adress for the jd jets...i gotta have some now...thx

LT250_JOE
06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
jdjetting.com

JUST EMAIL JAMES DEAN DIRECTLY, TELL HIM WHAT BIKE YOU HAVE, WHERE YOU LIVE AND HE WILL RECOMMEND THE BEST BASE SETUP. SOME FINE TUNING MAY BE NEEDED BUT HE GETS YOU WITHIN 5 FEET OF HOME PLATE!

curley
06-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
jdjetting.com

JUST EMAIL JAMES DEAN DIRECTLY, TELL HIM WHAT BIKE YOU HAVE, WHERE YOU LIVE AND HE WILL RECOMMEND THE BEST BASE SETUP. SOME FINE TUNING MAY BE NEEDED BUT HE GETS YOU WITHIN 5 FEET OF HOME PLATE!

What is your current set up ? jetting, mods?

LT250_JOE
06-07-2007, 05:42 AM
168 MAIN JET(148 STOCK), RED NEEDLE 5TH CLIP FROM TOP, LARGE O-RING, JAMES DEAN ACCEL PUMP DIAPHRAGM(HE SAYS BETTER THAN COVER) 1 3/4 TURNS ON FUEL SCREW.

STOCK AIR FILTER/LID(SAVING FOR EHS LID/K&N)
STOCK EXHAUST(SAVING FOR PAUL TURNER FULL EXH)
:macho

curley
06-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by LT250_JOE
168 MAIN JET(148 STOCK), RED NEEDLE 5TH CLIP FROM TOP, LARGE O-RING, JAMES DEAN ACCEL PUMP DIAPHRAGM(HE SAYS BETTER THAN COVER) 1 3/4 TURNS ON FUEL SCREW.

STOCK AIR FILTER/LID(SAVING FOR EHS LID/K&N)
STOCK EXHAUST(SAVING FOR PAUL TURNER FULL EXH)
:macho

What elevation are you at? I went with recommended set up, blue needle, 3rd clip, 172 main, 1 3/4 turns. On decel I get a back fire once in while and sometimes it will stall on hard stops. The plug looks ok , but may be a little rich. Any thoughts?

eerhard09
06-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Curley, I wouldl think that you are too rich running that large of a main with the blue needle in the summer conditions. The backfiring is probably from the excess fuel getting in the header and igniting.

I am around 1000ft, running and open air box, ebay end cap (no baffle in the stock exhaust), and am at a 168 main, red needle 5 clip from top, and the large JD O-Ring, and I am still a little rich according to the plug color. I am probably a little too high on the main still but I need to check it by picking up a new plug and doing a plug chop on it.

curley
06-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by eerhard09
Curley, I wouldl think that you are too rich running that large of a main with the blue needle in the summer conditions. The backfiring is probably from the excess fuel getting in the header and igniting.

I am around 1000ft, running and open air box, ebay end cap (no baffle in the stock exhaust), and am at a 168 main, red needle 5 clip from top, and the large JD O-Ring, and I am still a little rich according to the plug color. I am probably a little too high on the main still but I need to check it by picking up a new plug and doing a plug chop on it.

Thanks for the advice, Nice thing about this quad is you don't have to take the carb off for jetting changes:D