PDA

View Full Version : 450R kicker assembly

Chino886
06-06-2007, 06:22 AM
OK guys, I am just finishing up my motor rebuild and I put my kicker on and when I turn it over with my hand, it won't return to the starting position. Did I F&^$ something up?

Also, the two "index" notches on the kickshaft spindle and the kicker don't line up exactly?

Is there a bearing that goes into the case for the kickstarter spindle? The manual sucks when it talks about the kickstarter!

I can crank it down with my hand but it will not "return".

Any help, tips, advise would be greatly appreciated!

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
OK guys, I am just finishing up my motor rebuild and I put my kicker on and when I turn it over with my hand, it won't return to the starting position. Did I F&^$ something up?

Also, the two "index" notches on the kickshaft spindle and the kicker don't line up exactly?

Is there a bearing that goes into the case for the kickstarter spindle? The manual sucks when it talks about the kickstarter!

I can crank it down with my hand but it will not "return".

Any help, tips, advise would be greatly appreciated!

Can you return it by hand, or does it lock down? Did you hook the return spring up correctly? Im not sure which bearing you are talking about without seeing it.

Chino886
06-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Can you return it by hand, or does it lock down? Did you hook the return spring up correctly? Im not sure which bearing you are talking about without seeing it.

Yup it returns by hand!

Is there suppose to be a bearing at the end of the kicker shaft assembly?

Do you think I just need to lub the area where the kicker spindle rides?

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Yup it returns by hand!

Is there suppose to be a bearing at the end of the kicker shaft assembly?

Do you think I just need to lub the area where the kicker spindle rides?

Which end? the end going into the motor or the end pointing away from the motor. If there is a rotating piece on metal, there should be a bearing there no matter what. Common sense tells us that metall should not be rubbing on metal.

Chino886
06-06-2007, 06:33 AM
The end going into the motor.

I did not think there was a bearing there.........I will double check!

Chino886
06-06-2007, 06:49 AM
This is the area where the kick starter spindle rides, is there a bearing that goes there?

stumpleg
06-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I checked the forums on quad zone, and it doesn't look like anything went in there. I can't be sure though that after the kicker spindle was put together, that there was a needle bearing on the end.

Chino886
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by stumpleg
I checked the forums on quad zone, and it doesn't look like anything went in there. I can't be sure though that after the kicker spindle was put together, that there was a needle bearing on the end.

I just took a look at that, that is the bearing underneath the arrow.

I have found that others has this similar problem..........back to the drawing board!

thump4863
06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Check your kicker return spring. It may need to be wound tighter.

Chino886
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by thump4863
Check your kicker return spring. It may need to be wound tighter.

I did not know you could adjust that, can you elaborate how to do that please!

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I did not know you could adjust that, can you elaborate how to do that please!

Well either the spring isn't in right or something is binding. Is there anyway to kind of hold it in and see if you can duplicate what its doing with the case cover off?

Chino886
06-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Well either the spring isn't in right or something is binding. Is there anyway to kind of hold it in and see if you can duplicate what its doing with the case cover off?

I don't know, I will try to do that tonight, I am not sure I can hold the Kickstart first idle gear in there and kick it over at the same time. My arms are not that flexible!

thump4863
06-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I had the same problem when i put new crank bearings in my 04 - it ended up being my kicker return spring wasnt wound tight enough - I had to make another loop around and then put it in the hole that it sits in. I believe if you have it backwards it can also cause it to not work correctly.

thump4863
06-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Also - you might check that everything is going on in the correct order - A washer in the wrong spot could cause it to bind.

Chino886
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Well I will double check tonight and update with pics tomorrow!

Chino886
06-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I got it figured out, in the end it was user error. I was installing it upside down and basically inserting it into the case with the spring lined up with the hole, it was not getting wound tight enough to allow the spring to recoil the kicker to starting position. I guess that would be too easy to be that simple.

Now I just need to wire everything up, take the RAT adapter off my FCR, fill it with fluids, cross my fingers and hopefully .........brap..........brap!

IMSROLL450R
06-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't feel too bad definitely I did the same thing when putting the kicker in mine. I didnt spin the shaft far enough a head to give the spring any tension. So are you doin any riding this weekend? I think we are goin to the dunes. I will definitely hit you up next week though I really want to try that guys track out. Later Dave.