PDA

View Full Version : 02 Speed C Dale Questions

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 02:25 AM
I put this on a Cdale site too, but I know there is a few that check this one as well. Lets not make this thread into a who is the bigger man thread ether.;)

Just did some searching and have some questions

Mods to Cdale I may own: HMF pipe and ECU programed (blaze/moto I belive)

Trans Oil: Calls for .75 Quarts. I want to use Maxima 80WT, also is it safer just to put in 1 quart?

Engine Oil: Calls for 1.5 Quarts. I want to use Maxima 10w 40, also could I just dump 2 quarts in?

Coolant: I have a sponsorship from engine ice. Is it safer with the Mag heads? (i belive my dads is PCed anyways)

Reason I want to round up the quarts is because all my other quads is accualyl safer to do so. But from what I have read Cdales are kinda touchy.

Ok more questions......

Gearing: I know 5th gear is really high, I was reading about another gear intall to make it not such a drag into 5th. Right now it has 1 tooth up the front and a stock rear (belive thats 14/39) Would a diffrent 5th gear be needed since I will be drag racing accross fields, riding the dunes about 3 times a year, and praticing MX maybe 10 times a year on a very tight indoor track where I only hit 2nd gear on my 400ex?

Vent hose mod for oil. What is the accually mod? Just moving it to the back so it dosen't leak?

D and M for the efi? What is it? Searching dosen't bring it up since it wont search for only single letters and "and"

Thanks let me know anything else I may need to know

svahle
06-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Let me first say that there are many out there with much more knowledge than I, but I will attempt to answer some of your questions and hope that if I get something wrong that others will chime in.

1. I would not use more fluids than recommended for the Dales. I know that overfill can be a problem especially for the engine oil. I would just use the amounts called for. No reason to overfill and risk damage.

2. I have read about the 5th gear issue. Frankly, I don't have an issue with my 5th gear which is stock. With a larger front sprocket you now have "taller" gearing which will probably make the 5th gear issue worse. If I understand it correctly, the complaints with 5th gear is that it is too tall and makes for a fairly noticeable gap between 4th and 5th. Changing the front sprocket wouldn't make the gap larger, but it will make all of your gears taller. I would just try it out and see for yourself. You might try the stock front sprocket also and see what you think.

3. The D&M is computer software that allows you to make changes to the ecm. I also allows you to do diagnostic analysis of the quad for potential issues. You can also change maps, do throttle calibration, check RPM, etc. As you probably know, the Dale has EFI.

4. I don't know the contents of engine ice, but Evans is very highly recommended with the mag head covers. If you want to run engine ice, I would get the aluminum cover to be safe.

5. The oil hose mod is more than just moving the oil lines. They are re-routed to a different configuration. Also, a banjo bolt is replaced with an oil drain plug. Look at the Dale sites. There are very good instructions on the oil mod in the updates.

I hope this gets you started. Good luck.

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes that helps alot. Now I have a better Idea of what to search for.

Only thing I really hate is my dads dale will foul a plug if the throttle is touched before starting. Wouldn't be that big of a deal if you didn't take a hour to do:scary:

svahle
06-06-2007, 08:30 PM
It is not just your dad's Dale that will foul a plug if you touch the throttle while trying to start. Its just the way they are. I have only had mine a few months and I'm already used to it. Now it just comes naturally.

firefighterjosh
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by svahle
It is not just your dad's Dale that will foul a plug if you touch the throttle while trying to start. Its just the way they are. I have only had mine a few months and I'm already used to it. Now it just comes naturally.

I never hit the gas anyways. My king is EFI so I am used to it just starting right up.

After having EFI it makes my (what I thought) "easy starting" 400 look like a POS:p