PDA

View Full Version : Honda 440ex with 450R carb. Suggestions?

PinkRider
06-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone...okay, so here is the situation: I got my 400ex bored out with a Wiesco Pison and a Hot Cams cam, when i got the engine back from the builder, it did not look like it was properlly decked, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. On my first trip, the head gasket blew a chunk out and oil started going everywhere. So when i got home, i replaced all the gaskets and bought a Cometic Head Gasket. (I havent seen how this one will work) Then i thought i needed a bigger carb. So i did some research and saw that the 450r carbs get more bang for my buck and decided to go that route. BUT...the thing is, is that when i put the carb on, it was taller than that stock carb so i had to cut some plastic that was supporting the gas tank but that turned out well, yet the metal line running from the gas tank to the carb is too short, and if i extend it, the choke will be completly unuseful. Any suggestions to making this work? Also, since i havent started my bike since the new head gasket, could the head gasket blow that bad for it not being exactly decked?? Any suggestions about a 440 ex kit would be of great help. Thanks a lot!
-Danielle

400exrider707
06-06-2007, 06:13 AM
What do you mean it wasn't properly decked? Why would it need to be decked? Was it warped before? A cometic gasket will probably solve your problems, OR you've pulled the head studs through, if you dont already have heavy duty head studs, I would invest in them.

As for the 450R carb, go to the 400ex section and there are a few stickys right at the top of the page with installs and jetting guides for that, just search around a little bit.

PinkRider
06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
So the barrell not being properlly decked would not cause the head gasket to blow?? What else do you think it could be? That head gasket looked pretty nasty..
thanks for the help :)!

GPracer2500
06-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Any mis-machining of the head gasket sealing surface will (or at least could) cause problems.

Like 400exrider707 asked, what do you mean "...it did not look like it was properly decked..."??

400exrider707
06-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by PinkRider
So the barrell not being properlly decked would not cause the head gasket to blow?? What else do you think it could be? That head gasket looked pretty nasty..
thanks for the help :)!

Why was it decked? Was it supposed to be? Thats not a real common practice. What do you mean by barrel? The cylinder? Why would the cylinder be decked? Like I said head gaskets usually blow because they're either a crappy gasket, or your head studs are pulling through. What compression are you running?

PinkRider
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
After a sleeve is installed in the cylinder it is not even, it has to be decked to become flush right??? Mine wasnt flush... As for the compression, im thinking it might be stock but let me get back to you on that...

sc400ex_rider
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
hears a good thread with some pics pinky

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160988&perpage=13&highlight=mobile%20dyno%20450r%20carb&pagenumber=1