PDA

View Full Version : Help!!frozen axle nut

pdxbigfoot
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Hello all.Well here is my predicament.I recently purchaced a 1986 trx 250r project that had sat outside under a tarp for at least a year.the bike was dismantled and thank god the only thing kept inside was the motor.Anyway the swingarm is off the frame with what appears to be a dura-blue 2inch wider axle intact.Both pieces are very rusty,mainly the axle.Ive done some research and i belive that the arm is a older lone-star at least 2inches longer.In order to get parts cleaned up and a new bearing carrier installed i have to get the axle out of the housing and that babys not budging.I know that the threads are opposite and i should be turning the nut clockwise to loosen it.I have used a penetrating oil and its been soaking for the last 3 days but to no avail.I also know that its not good to heat these parts as to not weaken the axle any tricks.....THANK YOU

GOTFEAR
06-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Get you a propain tortch this tortch wont get near as hot as a normal blow tortch and heat the big nut and only the nut on both sides for a few minuts good luck

Aceman
06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Something else that might work is using a cutoff wheel on it. Just cut the locknut, if you're real good you might be able to do it without damaging the threads, then just stick a screwdriver in the split. That will spread it apart and you should be able to slide it off the threaded collar.

pimpt250r
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I knew a guy that had the same problem ,,,take 2 pipe wrenches(1 for each nut) and i breaker bar(thats a long hollow pipe thats strong enought to give you that extra yank) 1 propane torch to gently heat it
slide over the on the side going clock wise and the other pipe wrench on the opposite side
Leverage is your best friend from this point on ,
This info is only if you plan on reusing it after a good cleaning
other wise like the other guy said cut it off and pry it down

MaxPower250r
06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I had the same problem, pimpt is right about the cheater bar. I used two 48 inch pipe wrenches-yeah thats 4 feet-penetrating lube, a lot of cussing and I think I even lost some hide out of the deal but she finally came apart. Ruined the lock nut though. good luck

downtown_sounds
06-07-2007, 06:05 AM
I would not worry about keeping the nut reusable. They are cheap to get another one or upgrade to a better aftermarket. Use big pipe wrenches or cut off like others said just protect the axle.

86 Quad R
06-07-2007, 10:36 AM
if ya could get ya hands on two large cresent wrenches would be better en save the nuts. :cool:

Scott-300ex
06-07-2007, 02:25 PM
I say use PB on it cuz that stuffs real good. Soak it all day, then the next day use a LONG wrench, cuz leverage will save you.

pdxbigfoot
06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
thank you for all the advice ill keep you all posted

stocktires
06-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I got a sawzall on mine. It came right out! :devil: