PDA

View Full Version : Building an R

Ruby Soho
06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm thinking about maybe building a 250r. I'd like to do it from the frame up, but I don't know what I would be getting into. So many parts to think about and so much money involved. Anybody have experience in doing this that could fill me in on how it goes?

Option 2 was to find a beat R, broken frame, something wrong. For cheap, and rebuild it. Because then I could use a lot of the existing parts instead of buying every little nut and bolt.

What do you guys think about my idea?

250Renvy
06-05-2007, 08:54 PM
It's a good idea, but it's a lot of work, time spend and potentially money. Depends on what you want to do to it. If you want everything aftermarket, good parts are hard to find, most stuff will need new powdercoat or chrome and bushings, bearings and grommets etc. The other route is to just buy new stuff, but then you're looking at big money. If you have it that's the way to go.

Most stuff you will have to find on forums or ebay and judge stuff from pictures which when you see it, it doesn't look as good as in the pictures.

Plus here's the kicker, it gets addictive and you can't stop buying parts then you realize how much money you have into it and it scares you.

Your best bet is to find a slightly modded or rebuilt R and just ride it and fix/find stuff as you come across it or do a rebuild in the winter.

Just my .02

Check here
http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6450004&TheDealer=

mfr422
06-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Ruby,
I have two R's , one I'm building right now and have done it both ways. My first one was bought ORIGINAL and unmolested about 12 years ago and I rode it about 5 and decided to freshen her up. You are looking at major money outlay to restore it to like new condition. I spent 10-12 K and still have my original frame. Add4-5K for aftermarket frame and suspension. This time I found something good that was close to what I wanted and am modifying it to make it mine for under 8K. BIG difference in money. It was fun to completely rebuild one but the cost is just to much. The R I bought I found on ebay and spent 5k to get it but it was already like new and 90 percent stock. The market today for used R's isn't what it used to be due to the slow stroke invasion, that's good for us smart people who want 2 stroke power. My newest R will have a 350pv and I will have spent under 8K for it. My advice is be patient in your search, you will find what your'e looking for used a lot cheaper than you can build it and then modify it to suit your tastes and have more money to ride:D . 2 strokes forever and roost on!!

timmersam
06-06-2007, 02:14 AM
I am just finishing up an 89 right now. I bought the frame and motor and some extra parts from 250Renvy. I would say 80-90% of the parts I bought are aftermarket (in my sig), all of which i got off ebay. It took a while to wait for the cheap deals on ebay but it was well worth it. In the end it has cost me right around 5000 Canadian. The only thing I wish I had done would be too buy and broken R like you suggested and started from there. It will in turn save you alot of headaches trying to find all the little parts, which are pretty costly if you have to buy them from Honda. Thats what I am going do when I build my hybrid ;) . Hope that helps you out.

wishmasstir
06-06-2007, 05:51 AM
check out my "250r buildup" thread in this section or my sig. i started building mine may 2006 and finished it off in the fall, its for sale now though. i started with an arens frame and went from there, it was worth it in the long run because the quad has all brand new bearings, bushings, seals and powdercoat. stock brake components and radiator and thats all ... it was way cheaper for me to build this one than buy a 3k beatup 250r and then put 5k into it to build it the way i wanted

86 Quad R
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
i would buy a beater and build it to your liking. while tearing it down, make a list of the things that need replacing i/e bearings, bushings, cables, various hard parts and ect. while tearing it down you'll get more familiar with the machine and how things work.

i just finished a quad that i purchased for my sons 13th birthday a year ago last week. i brought it home, let him ride it twice and afterwards rolled it into the shop and the two of us took it apart. things that needed boxed up were and the rest was hug on the peg boards. this was an oppertunaty for him to learn a thing or two and in the process i learned a lil about myself aswell. 10 months of patient internet purchases have paid off. he got the oppertunaty to ride it for the first time since the build on his 14th b-day when we carried BOTH our R's to the local sand bars. :devil: i think i have a total of 2650.00 tied up in the build and that includes the original purchase.

good luck with whichever route you decide and by all means have fun doing so. :cool: as stated it can be addictive. :blah:

Ruby Soho
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I think I would rather buy one in rough condition. I want to do this more for the build, rather than riding it at the end. I will probably sell it after I finish, unless I get addicted to the 2 stroke haha.

Thanks guys

250Renvy
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
That's crazy,
There would probably be 2 outcomes
1) You'll really like the 2-stroke
or
2) You'll lose a ton of money so might as well just give me the $3000 because that's likely how much you'll lose by building it then selling it.

Ruby Soho
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Well see, Im going to want a truck or soemthing in like a year and a half so I figuired it would work out.. I dont know though. I'd love to have it along with my 440. Its like my dream to have a 250r and my EX. :p I've ridden a 100% stock 250r before, it was a ton of fun, never ridden a piped one though.. probly a whole new world. Well, we'll see what will happen. If i do build one, than I'll probly end up keeping it

timmersam
06-06-2007, 04:46 PM
You do not need to worry about losing 3000, if you do it right you should be able to make a decent profit off it.

mineralgrey01gt
06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
im actually in the middle of doing this now. So far i have an 86 frame, lonestar +1 swingarm (88-89 style), lonestar +4 rear axle with stock hubs, stock hubs with wave rotors for the front, Laegar steering stem, Lonestar chassis to stem clamp, full polished SS bolt kit, and a gas tank with mounts. So far its about $1100 i have in it all together, and none of it has been out to rechrome or powdercoat yet

deathman53
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I know what is costs to build a 250r. When I built mine I used alot of new parts, I bought my old one back(blown motor) for some of the parts, bought a like new 89 front end from ebay, I used some parts that I have. Here is the stock parts: 88 frame, gas tank w/hardware, spindles/hubs, brake calipers, intake boot, the engine was a 86 atc ban motor(it was very lightly used and like new). I spent close to 16 grand into it, way more than I ever intended to spend. Building bikes is expensive, I have ~10g's into my 86 atc250r and thats not including the frame I had made for it. If I knew it was gonna be that much for the trx250r to build, I would have gotten a lsr frame w/no link setup and had it almost completely aftermarket. I hated the pro-peg nerf bars(peg placement), I recently got a relocated -1" brack, 1" lower pro-peg, lets add $300 to the cost.

beobe99
06-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I built a 86 250r from nothing mostly from ebay and this site.. I bought a bare frame, had it powder coated, and went nuts from there.. I love projects.. have just as much fun now building/restoring these things as i do riding. It does take time and you'll be online alot searching for parts (which for some reason I also find fun haha!).. I would do the following

Buy a frame and have it powder coated, and buy the stainless steel bolt kit from ebay (BEST $90 ever spent when doing this build!!!! the bolt kit is about 95% complete so theres some you'll have to search out but nothing that isnt around)
Once you have the frame and the bolts just start looking for deals. every single aftermarket peice for these things can be found on ebay, here, or where ever.

I had no idea what i was doing and learned so much just searching out parts on ebay. Seeing something and being like "what the hell is that part" to find out i needed it.

JUST MAKE SURE to remember what year your building 86-87 have slight differences then the 88-89's (mostly just the swing arm, rear linkage, and peg mounts)

Don't worry about cost, Most likly whatever you buy the parts for you could sell them for if you backed out (used parts hold there value)

There will be new parts you'll prob. buy but I wouldnt worry about it. If your going to worry about what this will all cost and if it makes sence money wise you shouldnt even be into this sport. cant put a price on the fun, or the feeling of building something sick.

good luck and be sure to email me pics!!!

312R1
06-07-2007, 12:07 AM
If I were you I would buy a aftermarket R and build it to your liking. Thats what I did..I bought mine for $4,000 and tore it all down rechromed and repowdered everything..I went a little nuts on my build though..I got new cases, crank, jug, brakes, plastic, shocks and tires...So I pretty much just re used the rolling chassis..:devil: All in all I have about $15,000 in it and it took me about six months to finish. Now thats it's finished I have a pretty much brand new fully aftermarket R.

Here is a pic of it if you haven't seen it...Also check out my build thread...The rebuild has begun.

This is the before pic.

-Steve

312R1
06-07-2007, 12:08 AM
And here is the finished product..:D

csr250r
06-09-2007, 08:37 AM
If u are into buying a frame and goin from the ground up go for it, but i think that u would be better off buying a decent r and modding it to your liking, i bought an 89 and i put about $500 in it so far and i got plans for alot more, haha dont wreck it sets back your plans a while, ebay is your best friend, also if you find someone that has some spare r parts laying around.

mineralgrey01gt
06-10-2007, 03:00 PM
sorry for jacking the thread but this will help out with the full frame up build.

Does anyone have a complete list of the parts needed to build one from the frame up? I have learned a ton just looking around the net, but i know there are some things that i am missing. I looked through the Clymer manual and it does help but id still like a complete list that i can check off as i buy things

blasterandy
06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Are you talking bolt by bolt list. I doubt you will find that. But really and truthfully, buy things that are complete. (i.e. a complete engine, carb, cases, pipe or swing arm with carrier already installed, axle with mounts and hubs.) if you buy a frame they normaly come with a front end so that takes the pain out of that. (I your question is kind vague on what you need)